Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU do a braided bun?

Length
    3 in/thigh/knee
    Type
    1a/M/C/ii

Smile How do YOU do a braided bun?

Do you braid "normally" as in a French braid, or reverse braid as in a Dutch braid, and then bun? Or do you first split your hair into two horizontally, then split the bottom larger chunk, then braid and then bun? (Is there any other way you do it?)

I'm curious because I can get different results depending on which way I braid. (I can't be the only one...) When I simply braid normally, I get that annoying lump on one side when I start bunning, which is difficult to correct later. Sometimes, my bun becomes off-center, so my braids are often a little bit skewed to one side. I also know that some people braid rather loose so that it's easier to bun, but I tend to braid mine a little tighter. It took me many practices to get my bun looking neat.

Length
    CBL/TBL/-
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: How do YOU do a braided bun?

I just braid normally and LWB or Nautilus it. Other than hiding the elastic, I don't have any problems doing it that way.
    Caution: LHC-itis may become terminal.
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Most often, I dutch braid down the center back all the way to the ends, tie the braid off, then put a stick through my braid and wrap the braid around and around the stick. Then I either insert a second stick to pin the ends down or use a couple of roller pins to secure the ends. 2 sticks works the most reliably.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

All of the above. If I'm concerned about fly-aways (like on a windy day) I'll (double) dutch or french. If I want the bun up higher I'll do the top section/two bottom section style. If I need to be quick or it is already in a standard braid and I want it up, then that's that. I think it is just a matter of practice to get things consistent.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Sunscreen obsessed weirdo kaydana's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I do an english braid starting in the middle of my head, then cinnabun it. Never had any issues with it being wonky unless I've ignored it telling me it wanted to be coiled the other way (it will only look right done in one direction, which depends on which side went over first when I started the braid).

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I braid normally, but only because I can't French braid yet. I have trouble getting the bun to stay up, unfortunately. I know a French braid would make for a much more secure base by giving the hair pins more to grip on to.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Melusine, have you tried spin pins?

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    Melusine, have you tried spin pins?
    Come to think of it, my last braided bun attempt does pre-date my spin pins. I will tentatively give it another go. Thanks for the tip!

Length
    3 in/thigh/knee
    Type
    1a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by melusine963 View Post
    Come to think of it, my last braided bun attempt does pre-date my spin pins. I will tentatively give it another go. Thanks for the tip!
    Do you mind me asking, what have you held your bun with? Your hair is pretty long, so I'm not thinking your length (or texture) is the problem. I second spin pins. Also, when I use u pins to hold buns, I use up to 12.

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by white.chocolate View Post
    Do you mind me asking, what have you held your bun with? Your hair is pretty long, so I'm not thinking your length (or texture) is the problem. I second spin pins. Also, when I use u pins to hold buns, I use up to 12.
    I was using plain bobby pins before that. Unsurprisingly, they ended up bent out of shape more often than not.