Thread: Guy new to long hair - dealing with multiple hair types

Length
    6/18/20

Default Guy new to long hair - dealing with multiple hair types

Hi everyone, hope you're well. I got on here because I'm two years into this hair growing journey and have a trim coming up, so I'm hoping to find some advice or perspective on how to shape it as it grows out. My hair is currently down to my collarbone or so and my bangs are about jawbone length. Dig the length, want to keep it going for at least another year and then start just maintaining it after that. What I've learned is that the hair on top of my head and on my crown is straight while everything below it spans the gamut of wavy AND curly (like 2A - 3C). Plus my hair is all coarse and thick, so there ends up just being a ton of extra volume on the sides and back about halfway down my head that's pretty unflattering. So what I'm hoping to think through is whether to ask the stylist for help reducing the bulky areas (like leave the top hairs long and do some layering on the underlayers?), or if that's a mistake and I should either shape it once I'm happy with the overall length (in probably a year or two) or just learn how to style and treat the two layers differently. Any ideas or feedback would be appreciated!

Length
    BSL/TBL/TERM
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Guy new to long hair - dealing with multiple hair types

Hello and welcome!

I don't know if you're following Trav White and Alexander Demergis on Youtube, basically, these young men share their long hair journey and how to style those awkward phases, you can check them up for inspiration, so even if you go to a stylist, you might have an actual image for reference.

As for haircare routine, I don't think male and female hairs have too much of a difference, treat it gently, avoid heat and mechanical damage, etc, all those things can be found in this forum, read the stickies for the important threads, for example, we have threads like:

Buzz to Chin Length
    Chin to Shoulder Length
    Shoulder to APL Length
    Non-Growth Oriented Thread for Shorter Lengths
    Growing Out Layers
    Hang out in these threads and you might find tips that suit your length and layers.
    Last edited by tuanyiji; Today at 07:55 AM.
    95cm 1b/C/10cm Fingercomb/Bun-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][My Hair Story][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][LWB Variations]

Length
    6/18/20

Default Re: Guy new to long hair - dealing with multiple hair types

Quote Originally Posted by tuanyiji View Post
    Hello and welcome!

I don't know if you're following Trav White and Alexander Demergis on Youtube, basically, these young men share their long hair journey and how to style those awkward phases, you can check them up for inspiration, so even if you go to a stylist, you might have an actual image for reference.

As for haircare routine, I don't think male and female hairs have too much of a difference, treat it gently, avoid heat and mechanical damage, etc, all those things can be found in this forum, read the stickies for the important threads, for example, we have threads like:

Buzz to Chin Length
    Chin to Shoulder Length
    Shoulder to APL Length
    Non-Growth Oriented Thread for Shorter Lengths
    Growing Out Layers
    Hang out in these threads and you might find tips that suit your length and layers.

Thanks! Trav White has given me some ideas on how to shape things. His app is neat, too - cool to see so many other dudes on the same journey.