Page 4046 of 4075 FirstFirst ... 30463546394639964036404440454046404740484056 ... LastLast
Results 40,451 to 40,460 of 40742

Thread: The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

  1. #40451
    surprised her hair's long Corvana's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,629
    Length
    2"/40.5"/47"
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

    Quote Originally Posted by -Aithne- View Post
    I wonder if other people put their hair down at the first sign of a headache…?

    Even if it's not because of my hair, I do. I think it's because I keep hearing/being told that long hair gives you a headache. Or maybe because some hairstyles do hurt after a while (seems like the ones that start in the middle of your head do the most?). I think most of my headaches are from hay fever, but I take down my hair anyway.
    I do, because once I start getting a headache my scalp becomes more sensitive and the weight of my bun is more likely to make my headache worse. It's never the cause of them that I can figure (I don't get them any more often now with classic+ hair than I did when I had a pixie cut), but it certainly doesn't help.
    SL~~~CBL~~~APL~~~BSL~~~WL~~~Hip~~~BCL~~~TBL~~~Classic~~~FTL
    (Hit FTL mid-May of 2022, trimmed back to TBL on 5/20/2022)
    Lady Corvana, Keeper of Ravens and Crows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights


  2. #40452

    Default Re: The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

    Quote Originally Posted by -Aithne- View Post
    I wonder if other people put their hair down at the first sign of a headache…?

    Even if it's not because of my hair, I do. I think it's because I keep hearing/being told that long hair gives you a headache. Or maybe because some hairstyles do hurt after a while (seems like the ones that start in the middle of your head do the most?). I think most of my headaches are from hay fever, but I take down my hair anyway.
    I tend to, but, that's because it usually is my hair causing the headache-- or if not, having my hair up causes headaches enough that yeah, it probably would exacerbate one I had for other reasons.

    If I didn't have that problem... nah, I'd leave the hair up.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

  3. #40453

    Default Re: The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

    Surprisingly, brushing my curls out keeps it tangle free (as opposed to letting it dry curly).
    After showering I run a very silicone heavy serum through my hair (for heat protection and tangle insurance). I towel dry to take off excess water and product, and then I brush slowly with a wooden bristle brush. Afterwards I blow dry (on the lowest setting and not too close to my hair!), taking frequent breaks to brush. I end up with hair that is barely wavy and would frizz if left to it's own devices, but its the perfect texture for braiding or bunning. And when I get my hair out of those braids or buns, it's still tangle free! I know brushing curls out isn't for everyone, but it seems to work for me. I don't notice any tugging or tangling as I brush, it's like my hair doesn't offer resistance
    In the abyss before BSL

  4. #40454
    Member ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,392
    Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

    I don't do it often enough so that's why I never noticed before but...

    Braiding my hair takes a whole lot longer than it used to.

    Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    What works for my hair

  5. #40455
    Member Hedwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    473

    Default Re: The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

    IĎm going through a bit of a boredom phase with my hair at the moment. Now that IĎve figured out a routine that works for me and consistently gives me nice results, thereís not much exciting stuff happening and my hair just kind of does its thing while I do mine. Itís boring but I suppose itís a good place to be in in order to grow it out

  6. #40456
    Member memeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    397
    Length
    APL/30.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/ii

    Default Re: The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

    Quote Originally Posted by aloewurly View Post
    Surprisingly, brushing my curls out keeps it tangle free (as opposed to letting it dry curly).
    After showering I run a very silicone heavy serum through my hair (for heat protection and tangle insurance). I towel dry to take off excess water and product, and then I brush slowly with a wooden bristle brush. Afterwards I blow dry (on the lowest setting and not too close to my hair!), taking frequent breaks to brush. I end up with hair that is barely wavy and would frizz if left to it's own devices, but its the perfect texture for braiding or bunning. And when I get my hair out of those braids or buns, it's still tangle free! I know brushing curls out isn't for everyone, but it seems to work for me. I don't notice any tugging or tangling as I brush, it's like my hair doesn't offer resistance
    I’ve found this too. I think I am actually wavier than 2a but I haven’t bothered to do a hair-typing photo for years. Earlier this year I was experimenting with really encouraging curls, a la curly girl method. And yes, I can get nice spirals with a bit of mousse, but I just couldn’t handle the tangles. My usual routine is to work a whole lot of coney serum in and use my hands to really smooth down the waves as they start to form after a wash. It is so much less tangly when I don’t let the waves really develop. And I tend not to get a lot of frizz this way, between the cones and that my hair is pretty fine anyway.
    BSL~WL~HL~TBL?~classic...?

    27-28-29-30-31-32-33-34-35-36-37-38-39-40-41-42

  7. #40457
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    151
    Length
    short/Waist/Class
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

    Default Re: The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

    Quote Originally Posted by memeow View Post
    I’ve found this too. I think I am actually wavier than 2a but I haven’t bothered to do a hair-typing photo for years. Earlier this year I was experimenting with really encouraging curls, a la curly girl method. And yes, I can get nice spirals with a bit of mousse, but I just couldn’t handle the tangles. My usual routine is to work a whole lot of coney serum in and use my hands to really smooth down the waves as they start to form after a wash. It is so much less tangly when I don’t let the waves really develop. And I tend not to get a lot of frizz this way, between the cones and that my hair is pretty fine anyway.
    I can't get behind CG method either. It might make my hair LOOK nice but I can't stand the feeling of all of that in my hair plus it takes 8x longer just to wash my hair. Like thanks but if I want waves I'll just sleep in braids haha

  8. #40458
    Member memeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    397
    Length
    APL/30.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/ii

    Default Re: The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrtu-Kevšt View Post
    I can't get behind CG method either. It might make my hair LOOK nice but I can't stand the feeling of all of that in my hair plus it takes 8x longer just to wash my hair. Like thanks but if I want waves I'll just sleep in braids haha
    Yeah I have so many issues with CG. Conditioner alone does not get my hair clean, it takes FOREVER to dry if I don’t squeeze the water out, my hair gets totally lank and weighted down if I actually use that much product, and to top it all off I get about an hour of looking nice and then it’s a frizzy mess anyway. I don’t think having my hair and scalp wet for so long does it any favors so…I’m sticking to the brushed out wave look.
    BSL~WL~HL~TBL?~classic...?

    27-28-29-30-31-32-33-34-35-36-37-38-39-40-41-42

  9. #40459
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Posts
    74
    Length
    ?/53"/TERM!
    Type
    2a/F/ii

    Default Re: The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

    Quote Originally Posted by Corvana View Post
    I do, because once I start getting a headache my scalp becomes more sensitive and the weight of my bun is more likely to make my headache worse. It's never the cause of them that I can figure (I don't get them any more often now with classic+ hair than I did when I had a pixie cut), but it certainly doesn't help.
    I never thought that it could be because my scalp gets more sensitive, but that would make a lot of sense. I hope you don't get any headaches soon It's interesting to find out that someone else does this, too, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I tend to, but, that's because it usually is my hair causing the headache-- or if not, having my hair up causes headaches enough that yeah, it probably would exacerbate one I had for other reasons.

    If I didn't have that problem... nah, I'd leave the hair up.
    So you do, too! It makes me feel better that it's not just me I hope you don't have any headaches anytime soon.


    Thank you both for replying to my "wondering" I don't know anyone with long hair like me in real life right now, so it's really neat to hear from other people who have the same/similar issues/thoughts about their long hair as I do.

  10. #40460
    Member Abacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    202
    Length
    Pixie/CBL/MTL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

    Default Re: The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

    Quote Originally Posted by memeow View Post
    Yeah I have so many issues with CG. Conditioner alone does not get my hair clean, it takes FOREVER to dry if I don’t squeeze the water out, my hair gets totally lank and weighted down if I actually use that much product, and to top it all off I get about an hour of looking nice and then it’s a frizzy mess anyway. I don’t think having my hair and scalp wet for so long does it any favors so…I’m sticking to the brushed out wave look.
    In recent years I got kind of fed up with the curly girl method, and also some of the analogous curly hair routines in the natural hair world. All the products and the curly haircut styles are so boring to me suddenly. It's like an entire philosophy set up around making curly hair as tame and ordinary looking as possible. I want the wild windblown extraordinary hair aesthetic back please.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •