Page 3894 of 3927 FirstFirst ... 28943394379438443884389238933894389538963904 ... LastLast
Results 38,931 to 38,940 of 39261

Thread: The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

Default Re: The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

I'm feeling insecure about the length of my hair because I am running across articles advising ~older women~ (as in once you hit 30 and over) to cut our hair into a lob because longer hair would only drag us down and make us look even older than our age. I'm open to doing a new hair color change to maybe break up the drabby dark look but I don't want to lose my growing progress over what I'm reading, but ngl it's making me suddenly self-conscious.

Length
    Pixie/SL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by fallenxangel View Post
    I'm feeling insecure about the length of my hair because I am running across articles advising ~older women~ (as in once you hit 30 and over) to cut our hair into a lob because longer hair would only drag us down and make us look even older than our age. I'm open to doing a new hair color change to maybe break up the drabby dark look but I don't want to lose my growing progress over what I'm reading, but ngl it's making me suddenly self-conscious.
    "The media" (especially in USA) have been repeating this tired old idea for decades. Now I actually associate short hair with "older women" because all of them take that bad advice and cut it all off! Then they spike it all over the place and dye it blonde ("Karen" hair).

On top of that, I was made to constantly have chin-length hair as a child because it was very difficult for my mom/family members to manage (I don't blame them) and they told me long hair dragged my face down. Okay wait a minute--so when I was a child, long hair dragged my face down but now that I'm old it still drags my face down? Someone is lying!

And as for dark hair: the bias towards light-colored hair is centuries-old and I still don't understand it. I'm not a witch or Goth (and I actually love both witches and Goths so being called that is cool) just because I was born with dark hair! I actually think dark hair suits me, not light hair, so I gave up dying it over 20 years ago. If I look like Morticia Addams, awesome.

Long story short: ignore everyone and do what you feel is best! And sorry for the rant, I'm edgy today because I have to trim my hair! LOL
    Pixie (April 2020) --> SL --> APL --> BSL --> Waist --> Hip --> TBL
    -----------------------
    Last trim: October 16, 2021

Length
    12/29in/36 in
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by secret soup View Post
    "The media" (especially in USA) have been repeating this tired old idea for decades. Now I actually associate short hair with "older women" because all of them take that bad advice and cut it all off! Then they spike it all over the place and dye it blonde ("Karen" hair).

On top of that, I was made to constantly have chin-length hair as a child because it was very difficult for my mom/family members to manage (I don't blame them) and they told me long hair dragged my face down. Okay wait a minute--so when I was a child, long hair dragged my face down but now that I'm old it still drags my face down? Someone is lying!

And as for dark hair: the bias towards light-colored hair is centuries-old and I still don't understand it. I'm not a witch or Goth (and I actually love both witches and Goths so being called that is cool) just because I was born with dark hair! I actually think dark hair suits me, not light hair, so I gave up dying it over 20 years ago. If I look like Morticia Addams, awesome.

Long story short: ignore everyone and do what you feel is best! And sorry for the rant, I'm edgy today because I have to trim my hair! LOL
    Absolutely agree. In fact, I've found the short hair on older women ages them terribly. I associate the hair style with boring people (sorry/not sorry) - because they seem to do follow the convention to cut after, say, 30 (which is 35 years ago for me, lol)

Older women should have fun with their hair - and that includes getting shaved, doing wild colours and growing long if they want. The longhairs I've seen in my age group have pretty spectacular hair! And we've earned the right after being dutiful citizens for so long, to do what pleases us, not what others think is right. I'm having such fun with my hair.

^This!!

Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    CBL/BSL/HIP
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Feel like I'm starting to understand my hair more. And with improved health/condition comes more defined wave pattern.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

Length
    0.5"/29"/CL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I think this advice is tired and ridiculous - most women look older with short hair (especially if it's cut in a typical "middle aged woman style" e.g. a lob), plus because most women actually do cut off all their hair >30, you look younger by association having longer hair. Not to mention it's more interesting. Additionally, who cares what some clickbait article says, what do YOU want your hair to look like? I have a long face, so long hair apparently "drags my face down", but it makes me feel like myself so I don't care.

Dark natural hair doesn't look drab in and of itself either imo- I associate drab more with heavy layered box dye, but if you do want to lighten up maybe a quarter or half head of foils slightly lighter than your natural could help add some dimension without impacting the health too much.
    Last trim 1st Oct 2021.
    Buzz-SL[18"]-APL[21"]- BSL[25"]-WL[28"]-HL[32"]- TBL[36"]-Classic[40"]

Length
    APL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I don't believe it and I never understood it. Imho, I always thought long hair makes an older woman look younger, in a good way

Length
    APL/HL/FTL+
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    A bit of an annoying evening - you know that feeling what your hair seems super short to you, even though you're aware it's pretty long. And yet...
    Oww, I definitely have that feeling from time to time! In my case, it lasts a few weeks(2-3), then suddenly when I look into the mirror, it looks SO long!
    Keep going, anyway! WL is a very beautiful length. If you keep away from trimming , you'll be at hip+ in a few months

Length
    CBL/WAIST/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

I'm finally getting use to sleeping in braids, But I got to figure out a way to curl the ends or at least have them wavy like the rest because the straight ends are starting to annoy me. I'm guessing tying them up higher and rolling the ends is probably the best method for me, or maybe I should do that thing where I braid in yarn/ribbon on the ends

Quote Originally Posted by JasminxCat View Post
    I don't believe it and I never understood it. Imho, I always thought long hair makes an older woman look younger, in a good way
    I would think so, too. And, long hair would take attention away from the face, and could possibly be arranged to help hide/soften any jowliness or sag... with short hair, there is nothing to look at but the face and nothing to hide the lines of the face shape so any sagginess, etc. would be front and center.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.