Thread: What is your taper?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Re: What is your taper?

Finally I got around to measure, there were going on some major braided-bun waves so I had to wait for washing day and wet hair to get halfwayexact measurements.
    I took the measurements in centimeters and converted them later, thatīs why they are somehow über-exact (x = length / y = circumference).

nape (12,2/2,99)
    shoulders (15,75/2,6)
    bsl (21,65/2,17)
    waist (27,95/1,77)
    tailbone (34,45/1,01)
    classic (39,76/0,59)
    thigh (44,09/0,2)
    fingertip (46,06/0)

I haven't found out how to convert the diagram into a jpg and get it online so the coordinates and a description is all I can give you for now. But itīs tapering in a shallow curve from nape to waist. Then it suddenly becomes steeper and +/- a straight line down to nothing at fingertip.
    I guess waist is about the length when I gave up rough wet brushing with a ball tipped brush and started to care about so profane things like my hair back then in spring ī06. So itīs probably a combination of old damage from overstretched hairs, excessive motorbiking and sailing with loose hair, ponytails and loose hair as only known hairstyles and a poor studentīs diet making those parts more prone to breakage. Iīm sure the thinning out is more breakage than real hair loss for me, most hairs I loose are either my longest > oldest ones or those fine hairs from the hairline which never get longer than about 10-20cm.
    I will definitely save this diagram and compare it with the one next year. It will be interesting to see if the curve-part reaches down more and if the straight line getīs steeper or stays the same.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Measured around a loose-ish braid by myself, in inches:
    Nape: 3.5
    Shoulder: 3
    Armpit: 2.5
    Waist: 2
    Ends: 1

I realized why the bottom inch falls off so drastically. Duh! It's because the sides end up shorter when I pull them to mid-back.

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

*squint* loose braid?
    Maybe the ends are thinner, because they are not braided?
    Iīm pretty sure that itīs not really effective to measure the thickness and taper with a braid. Braid bumps, tassel and all the rest...

Length
    pixie/43/term
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I measured my taper a couple of months ago, measuring the circumference every 10 cm. I have a pretty gradual taper the whole way down.
    Nape 8.9 cm
    skipped the 10 cm circumference
    at 20 cm from nape 7.9 cm circumference
    at 30 cm from nape 7.8 cm
    at 40 cm from nape 7.6 cm
    at 50 cm from nape 6.9 cm
    at 60 cm from nape 6.3 cm
    at 70 cm from nape 5.5 cm
    at 80 cm from nape 3.4 cm
    Last edited by julya; September 2nd, 2008 at 08:10 PM. Reason: wrong word in there

Length
    17"/38.5/45
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: What is your taper? Thickness at nape, bs, waist, tb, classic, etc.

Will have to do a measuring (I have been meaning to, anyhow)--my ends seem very wimpy when wet--so the taper is pretty good.
    You grow girl!

Length
    20"/43"/40"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

HA! I finally found my tape measure and have been meaning to do this out of my own curiosity.

Nape=4.25"
    BSL=3.5"
    Waist=2.5"

I'm very curious to see what this will be once I don't have layers anymore. BTW longest layer is BSL.
    I'm not ADHD, it's just... Do you like cookiesSewing Blog!

Length
    20"/43"/40"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Oh ummm now I have a question. I'm wondering if I'm measuring my thickness of iii incorrectly. I always measure that at my nape, am I supposed to measure it somewhere else? I see some answers here like Emi's showing measurements before nape. And I see others here that have their thickness in their profile as iii but their nape is below 4".

Help...

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

In the text about the hairtyping system it is stated in the third classifier article, that the maximum thickness should be measured where your ponytail is thickest. Which is usually not at the nape when making a low ponytail. For most people that point is around the crown area / top of head, just because you can gather more baby hairs, shorter hair from the hairline or longer fringes there. So making a ponytail at the point where the most hair fits into it makes sense for measuring even if it may look slightly ridiculous and you would not wear that normally.
    According to the hair typing system my thickness is iii even if that thickness already has tapered at the nape where a low ponytail sat, when making the taper measurements for comparison purposes with other nape ponytail measurements.
    Clear as mud huh? Hope that helps and does not add to the confusion :Wink: but thatīs the best way I can explain it.

Length
    20"/43"/40"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Finoriel View Post
    In the text about the hairtyping system it is stated in the third classifier article, that the maximum thickness should be measured where your ponytail is thickest. Which is usually not at the nape when making a low ponytail. For most people that point is around the crown area / top of head, just because you can gather more baby hairs, shorter hair from the hairline or longer fringes there. So making a ponytail at the point where the most hair fits into it makes sense for measuring even if it may look slightly ridiculous and you would not wear that normally.
    According to the hair typing system my thickness is iii even if that thickness already has tapered at the nape where a low ponytail sat, when making the taper measurements for comparison purposes with other nape ponytail measurements.
    Clear as mud huh? Hope that helps and does not add to the confusion :Wink: but thatīs the best way I can explain it.
    Yours is one of the ones I noticed that confused me. So I probably have thicker hair than I though - dandy But then again I guess it's not an issue since I've always had to deal with this much hair, I guess now I'll just be more aware of how thick. Which will actually be nice since I've gotten a bit confused on why some members with a 4.25" or so thickness can do things with their hair at my length that I still can't.

Hmmmm off to measure for thickness.

Thanks so much for your explanation Finoriel, it is actually quite clear. For some reason I figured with not having bangs my nape would be the thickest since in essence I can put all my hair in there...but actually I guess that is incorrect.

Length
    short/long/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Finoriel View Post
    I didn't know that! I've always measured thickness at nape or barely above it. Hmmm...I'll have to measure again sometime soon!