Thread: Do silicones cause anyone elses hair to split and dry?

Length
    APL/HIP/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Do silicones cause anyone elses hair to split and dry?

I have been off cones for close to a year but recently tried using some color depositing conditioner since I had just dyed my hair red and was trying to preserve. At first I thought it was from dying it but immediately after it still felt silky soft so I knew it had to be the silicones. I noticed a bunch of split ends and I can usually not find more than one or two and my ends looks crispy

BUT...As soon as I washed out the conditioner and clarified and used my normal all natural conditioner and did a nice SMT my hair was back to normal!

I can't understand how so many people do well with cones but I am def not one of them.

Maintenance trims to grow back thickness

Default Re: Do silicones cause anyone elses hair to split and dry?

I am not one of them either. I am looking for a good conditioner that I can use without the cones that is a leave in.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    ~sldr/18/22-25
    Type
    2a/F/ii

kitcatsmeow, silicones do coat your hair and that's what been making your hair feel soft. In the pre-LHC times, the shampoos I used had silicones in them and if I recall correctly, I had more split ends (may have had something to do with brushing instead of combing, but doesn't make this much of a difference). After coming to LHC, I've been noticing less split ends and overall less dry hair. Although I use cone-free Suave Naturals conditioner, when I use enough of it, my hair still feels soft and at least a couple of days go by after I wash it before the ends start feeling dry. Sometimes, I get the greasies before the ends feel dry and wash it so that it's presentable.

Length
    20/34/38
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

When I switched to cone free shampoo and conditioner my hair started to feel springier, like it was more resistant to breakage. It actually got softer too, I used to have to wash twice a week at least, as well as daily oiling to keep my ends soft and moisturised, but now I only need to oil maybe twice a week very lightly and I only need to wash once a week.
    It probably depends on how your hair reacts to cones or something, but my ends are bleached (eek I know) so they are dryer than they should be anyway.
    BSL...Waist ...Hip...TBL...Classic
    Lady Ailesthie of the oanluckit caayr Havaniora In the order of the long haired knights
    You tube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbIeRwJ1NrulSHG_VgogRCA

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by gboneske View Post
    I am not one of them either. I am looking for a good conditioner that I can use without the cones that is a leave in.
    You can use just about any conditioner as a leave in. If you can find it, GF Triple Nutrition without silicones is pretty good.

My hair seems to do fine with or without cones. However, I notice that the frizz can be a bit worse without in the humid months.

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

Length
    28/33/41.5
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Mhmmm. If I use a conditioner with cones my hair feels dry and.. crunchy. Especially at the ends. And brushing through it makes me cringe. No good for mee.

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

It's strange that you say that you noticed a bunch of split ends and then when you followed your normal routine, your hair went back to normal. Does that mean the splits were gone? Or your hair just feels better?

I ask because, if it is the first thing, nothing can "repair" splits, you can only cut them off. Cones get a bad rep for coating hair and masking damage, but I'm sure cone-free products can do the same thing. Maybe that's the case with you, the cone-free routine is covering up damage, that other products actually show.

If it's the second thing, maybe it's more than the silicones that's messing with your hair. Some coney products have cyclopentasiloxane or drying alcohols to help the cones disperse better. The trouble is, the cyclopentasiloxane or alcohol evaporate, taking moisture with it and ruffling your cuticle, causing damage.

Length
    APL/HIP/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by biogirl87 View Post
    kitcatsmeow, silicones do coat your hair and that's what been making your hair feel soft. In the pre-LHC times, the shampoos I used had silicones in them and if I recall correctly, I had more split ends (may have had something to do with brushing instead of combing, but doesn't make this much of a difference). After coming to LHC, I've been noticing less split ends and overall less dry hair. Although I use cone-free Suave Naturals conditioner, when I use enough of it, my hair still feels soft and at least a couple of days go by after I wash it before the ends start feeling dry. Sometimes, I get the greasies before the ends feel dry and wash it so that it's presentable.
    I think you misunderstood. I was NOT using silicones and when I tried a conditioner with silicones, that's when I started having issues. My hair feels amazing normally and I only wash once a week...the silicones dried it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheele View Post
    Mhmmm. If I use a conditioner with cones my hair feels dry and.. crunchy. Especially at the ends. And brushing through it makes me cringe. No good for mee.
    Exactly THIS!

Quote Originally Posted by HintOfMint View Post
    It's strange that you say that you noticed a bunch of split ends and then when you followed your normal routine, your hair went back to normal. Does that mean the splits were gone? Or your hair just feels better?

I ask because, if it is the first thing, nothing can "repair" splits, you can only cut them off. Cones get a bad rep for coating hair and masking damage, but I'm sure cone-free products can do the same thing. Maybe that's the case with you, the cone-free routine is covering up damage, that other products actually show.

If it's the second thing, maybe it's more than the silicones that's messing with your hair. Some coney products have cyclopentasiloxane or drying alcohols to help the cones disperse better. The trouble is, the cyclopentasiloxane or alcohol evaporate, taking moisture with it and ruffling your cuticle, causing damage.
    No the splits didn't disappear, I did some S&Ding to get rid of them but no more appeared. And I really don't think that my natural routine could cause and cover up damage and the silicones brought that damage out? That just doesn't make any sense to me...

Maintenance trims to grow back thickness

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by kitcatsmeow View Post

No the splits didn't disappear, I did some S&Ding to get rid of them but no more appeared. And I really don't think that my natural routine could cause and cover up damage and the silicones brought that damage out? That just doesn't make any sense to me...
    Natural conditioners and oils coat hair just like silicones. Lots of people get buildup from natural routines. The big difference is the removal process (sulfates vs. gentler detergents). Other than that, it's just a matter of what finish each product leaves and your personal taste.

I don't necessarily think your natural routine caused damage, sometimes damage just happens from other things (dry weather, friction... etc.) but it may have covered it up. This is just a thought.

I have no doubt that your natural routine is better for your hair, given your description. I was just wondering if it may have covered up some damage. Looking over your response, it does seem that the cones or another ingredient in the coney conditioner caused your damage. Carry on.

Length
    3/26/45
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I discovered that my hair absolutely does not like products with silicones. I can feel the buildup on the ends after just one use. Oils and certain ingredients in conditioners have the same affect, but it takes much longer to build up. Using a sulfate shampoo every 3 or 4 washes takes care of it.
    Grow, grow grow........