Page 71 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Length
    BSL/Waist/Hips?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Wow ktani, it had not occurred to me that that might be the cause .
    Effectively, I use conditioner to remove henna and I use conditioner after every wash (which happens about 2 Ė 3 times per week). I do my roots every 2 weeks because I cannot stand my whites and with dark hair they are too obvious.

Iíll definitely do as you suggest before my net touch up,.Iíll make sure to wash and clarify my hair without using conditioner and then use only coconut oil as pre - conditioner.

Thank you!!
    Live the Yoga Life in every moment
    www.yogalife.es

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

How to possibly deal with using henna, indigo and resistant to conventional hair colour grey hair

Quote Originally Posted by almudena View Post
    Wow ktani, it had not occurred to me that that might be the cause .
    Effectively, I use conditioner to remove henna and I use conditioner after every wash (which happens about 2 Ė 3 times per week). I do my roots every 2 weeks because I cannot stand my whites and with dark hair they are too obvious.

Iíll definitely do as you suggest before my net touch up,.Iíll make sure to wash and clarify my hair without using conditioner and then use only coconut oil as pre - conditioner.

Thank you!!
    You are most welcome!

It may be the problem and to me, it is better than using more peroxide, when a clarifying shampoo could be the answer.

You can do the coconut oil in stages. Clarify and only use coconut oil to condition but lightly enough for you to be able to go a few days before you colour. Then, an hour or so or longer, before you chemically dye, add more coconut oil to the area you are going to cover and let that absorb into your hair. It may make the whole thing easier to handle this way.
    Last edited by ktani; April 14th, 2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: spelling

It makes absolutely no sense to me, to use more chemicals or leave a chemical dye on the hair longer than recommended, if it is not necessary, to cover "resistant" grey hair that may not be that resistant at all.

I am all for the line of least resistance, pun intended, lol.

My grey/white is not what I would call resistant but catnip stains it better when my hair is bagged and I leave the catnip on my hair longer. The body heat no doubt lifts the cuticle a bit. The bonus is that I also get more conditioning out of the process but it is not an aggressive approach.

I wonder if the preconditioners used in todays home hair colouring kits, and possibly the equivalents used in salons, are adding to the upsurge of resistant grey hair, and driving the need for more chemicals to be used with conventional hair colouring and lightening products, that also have conditioning additives added to them. I am all for milder chemical products but it may be a vicious circle.
    Last edited by ktani; March 27th, 2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added link

I have read a number of theories on why grey hair is hair dye resistat and none of them make sense to me; lack of pigment, coarse texture, compact cuticle.

Ok, other than no pigment, coase hair texture is common and people still get good conventional hair dye coverage. I have fine hair as well as medium diameter hair. Fine hair has a compact cuticle. Catnip can and does cover my grey/white.

I have also read that there is no proof that grey hair is more dye resistant. I actually believe that one.

My grey hair is the same texture as the rest of my hair. When my hair was more coarse all over in feeling, that was one thing and one thing only, build-up or coating on my hair from either conventional products or linden tea or chamomile tea. Catnip does not leave my hair that way.

Now, no pigment. I get that one. That has to do with how much dye there is in a product in terms of concentration to be able to colour white. Perhaps most hair dyes only have enough pigment in them for most hair colours except those specifically aimed at grey hair, under most circumstances (coatings) and extra steps need to be taken to get the dye that is there, in a greater concentration into hair with no pigment of its own. I am just throwing ideas around.
    Last edited by ktani; March 27th, 2009 at 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling

From Clairol Canada

Interesting wording but not definitive.

"Myth: Grey hair is more coarse and wiry than pigmented hair.
    Fact: Grey hair tends to contain a larger medulla region, can result in a hair strand that is: Stiffer, Harder to bend, Less manageable (wiry)

Grey hair may .... be drier because fewer natural oils .... present.

Myth: Grey hair colours as quickly as pigmented hair.
    Fact: Grey hair can be resistant to hair colour, due to a decreased amount of melanin. Melanin contains metals such as iron, zinc and magnesium .... help the dyes develop. If you want to colour grey hair completely, leave the colour on for the full time recommended in the product instructions. Your hair may need a full 45 minutes to completely colour grey hair."
    Last edited by ktani; March 27th, 2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: adjust text

This is cool IMO. Subject, hair colouring. It starts on page 34.
    "Chemical composition of everyday products"
    Last edited by ktani; March 27th, 2009 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added year

Resistant (to conventional hair dye) grey hair

Here are reviews for Clairol Nice n Easy Gray Solution, only they are not all nice and it wasn't that easy for everyone who tried it. This hair colour is specifically aimed at grey coverage. It looks like the professional answers to grey hair that is resistant to conventional hair colour are still to come. I think, that there are easier (and possibly more cost effective), more hair friendly ways to deal with such hair to start with, before trying more aggressive methods. I suggest the following.

Clarify the hair in advance of chemically colouring it (at least a day or more), and do not use conditioner afterward, except enough coconut or coconut and argan oils to make hair manageable (argan oil can make skin sun sensitive, so keep it off the scalp during the day, until a few hours before using it as part of a pre-treatment). Argan oil has been scientifically proven to be anti-inflammatory, so it can help prevent scalp irritation as well as chelate more copper than coconut oil alone, and condition hair.)

Chelating copper according to P&G helps hair dye take better and both oils naturally have a peroxide level that may help the dye take better too, while being reported not to damage hair on their own, at any time.

Do not use a conventional hair colour pre-conditioner at the time of colouring. Use more coconut oil, or coconut and argan oils as a pre-treatment and let them absorb into the hair for at least an hour or more. Coconut oil has been reported to increase conventional hair dye uptake. Neither coconut oil nor argan oil, even with heavy oilings has been reported to interfere with dye uptake, just the opposite. See "Selected report quotes".

These oils are absorbed into the hair well enough not to create a barrier to the dye, the way that other products can and have been reported to do.

The fact that certain types of hair react differently to conventional hair colour and lightening chemicals, IMO, supports trying a different approach first, before trying conventional methods.
    Last edited by ktani; August 29th, 2010 at 08:51 AM. Reason: adjust text

Not even the hair colour companies can get this right. I am not saying that I have the answer to resistant grey hair. I am saying, that there is an easier way to deal with resistant grey hair to start with, before trying more aggressive methods that may possibly be more damaging.
    Last edited by ktani; September 19th, 2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: punctuation