Page 2789 of 2790 FirstFirst ... 178922892689273927792787278827892790 LastLast
Results 27,881 to 27,890 of 27895

Thread: Wear hair up for a month/few months/year challenge!

Default Re: Wear hair up for a month/few months/year challenge!

Maybe it would help to clarify alewyn? (I should take my own advice, I was thinking that I might need to clarify but I didn’t, I just did a heavier than usual pre-wash oiling.)

I’m in much the same boat, I want to keep my hair up and covered, because the scarf makes a huge difference to how my scalp feels, but I’m going to be ruled by the weather! I always cover my hair outdoors in hot weather anyway, as it bleaches in about two seconds, but when it’s hot I’m not going to want to wear a scarf indoors. At least the central heating won’t be on, drying my hair out!

Length
    Ear/MBL/Class
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    Maybe it would help to clarify alewyn? (I should take my own advice, I was thinking that I might need to clarify but I didnít, I just did a heavier than usual pre-wash oiling.)
    Maybe that would help. I also just realized that I've been using coconut oil more often than usual lately because I'm almost out of jojoba oil, and now I'm wondering if that's the crispy/tangly-ends culprit. I know some people do experience crunchy hair after using coconut oil
    dec '18 ear > dec '21 MBL > dec '22 waist > dec '24 classic

Quote Originally Posted by alewyn View Post
    Maybe that would help. I also just realized that I've been using coconut oil more often than usual lately because I'm almost out of jojoba oil, and now I'm wondering if that's the crispy/tangly-ends culprit. I know some people do experience crunchy hair after using coconut oil
    That would do it for me! I didn’t have a huge problem with coconut oil but it seemed to build up pretty fast. Everything does on my hair though.

I’ve just taken my hair down to S&D but apart from a couple of teeny splits that I need glasses to see, it seems ok. I think I’ll have to clarify next wash.

Length
    Ear/MBL/Class
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    That would do it for me! I didn’t have a huge problem with coconut oil but it seemed to build up pretty fast. Everything does on my hair though.

I’ve just taken my hair down to S&D but apart from a couple of teeny splits that I need glasses to see, it seems ok. I think I’ll have to clarify next wash.
    The build-up with the coconut oil seems to be the thing. Using it occasionally has never been a problem for me in the past, but more frequent applications lately do seem directly correlated with the crispiness.

As an update, I took my hair out of my sleep cap shortly after making my above post, and my ends feel amazing today! I've been oiling them with jojoba for the last couple of days before I put my hair up, and I think that has helped. I also think avoiding braided styles under my sleep cap overnight helps, because the crimped ends seem to catch way more when I'm doing my morning detangle.

Quote Originally Posted by alewyn View Post
    The build-up with the coconut oil seems to be the thing. Using it occasionally has never been a problem for me in the past, but more frequent applications lately do seem directly correlated with the crispiness.

As an update, I took my hair out of my sleep cap shortly after making my above post, and my ends feel amazing today! I've been oiling them with jojoba for the last couple of days before I put my hair up, and I think that has helped. I also think avoiding braided styles under my sleep cap overnight helps, because the crimped ends seem to catch way more when I'm doing my morning detangle.
    It sounds like jojoba oil is working well for you! I’m with you on crimped ends, I find they snag together (and to think we used high heat crimpers in the 80s to do that on purpose!!)

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

Day 4308 Up of course....I am trying to learn how to make a bun over a round hair rat. So it is in no bun I have ever seen, Just wrapped and anchored.
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

Length
    Ear/MBL/Class
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I realized I never posted an update here, but I completed my goal of wearing my hair up every day in May I'm giving myself the month of June to wear my hair down as often as I like--not sure about July yet. I think during the summer months, it's a lot easier to wear it down, since I'm not taking a bunch of layers on and off constantly. It's finally getting to a length where it feels long, but it's still not super in the way when I wear it down. I know from past experience that once it gets to be around hip, it's pretty difficult/annoying to wear down day-to-day, at least for me--so I think letting myself enjoy it down for at least some of the summer is a good option before it gets too long.

Length
    Ear/MBL/Class
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I think I will hop back on the hair up every day train for the month of July, with the exception of the week I'll be on vacation (will still have it up 90% of the time for that because we'll be hiking most days, but want the leeway to have it down for cute family pics in the evenings )

Having my hair down a little bit this month has been really fun, and I still have a few more occasions this month for which I plan to wear it down or half-up, but I fiddle with it way too much when it's down and I tend to get hung up on things that aren't perfect about it, so I want to enter another phase of benign neglect.

Additionally, I want to try some kind of style challenge so that I don't just wear it the exact same way every day. I find I have much more fun with my hair when I'm trying out new styles, and it reduces the temptation to try to change it by coloring or cutting. I think I'll try not to repeat a style within a week of itself (with the exception of styles worn under my bike helmet or sun hat, since I'm limited in what I can do there) and learn at least one new style a week.
    Last edited by alewyn; June 22nd, 2022 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Forgot words :|

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

Day 4337 In a Nessa bun. With a self made fork[from a wooden spoon]
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

That fork is gorgeous bparnell75 and it looks lovely in your hair.