Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hypothyroid help

Get Trapped in a Book! Jessica Trapp's Avatar
    Length
    33/40/44
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default hypothyroid help

My hair is shedding like crazy and it's depressing to comb it... especially since I recently (finally!) hit classic. It's also drier than usual and tangly. I think I may be experiencing some hypothyroidism. (These aren't my only symptoms.)

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any natural therapies or vitamins to explore? I have an appointment with my doctor early next month.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Jessica Trapp; September 25th, 2012 at 09:35 PM.

And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. --Kahlil Gibran

Length
    ../??/Term
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/iii

Default Re: hypothyroid help

Aw, it is never fun to lose hair!

It would probably be a good idea to have a check up with a doctor so you know for sure what is going on if you can afford it.

A few years ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I didn't want to take the medicines which are normally prescribed for it so I tried the natural way and it did get back to normal. I started taking kelp which is a sea plant high in iodine, a mineral that is necessary for healthy thyroid function. I also started eating as healthy as possible.
    Currently I am taking one average sized capsule of powdered kelp each day and that has been keeping my thyroid level normal. Many people have thyroid issues since most soils are very deplete in the mineral iodine, so that very well could be what you have.
    Final Goal: Terminal lengthLady Randiriel, Shepherdess of Tithenmamiwen

Type
    2b/M/ii

please go and make a blood test to be sure because if so then by taking your medicine you will fix it easier and faster, do not risk your health

Length
    12/32/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Check out the website stopthethyroidmadness.com.
    Started growing at 42. Always admired and wanted long hair. Thrilled to find waves!!!

2b-F-ii

Length
    pixie/TBL/45 in
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Another alternative to kelp tabs is ''thyrosense'' a herbal and iodine supplement tablet sold through the health foods stores.It can help normalize borderline low thyroid.
    Last edited by dulce; October 24th, 2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

I have been hyper and hypo, and hairloss or hair damage seems to be part of the game.

The doctor meds worked well for me (although I developed a problem with one) and now my hair is ... well, my hair.

Put your hair up and be very gentle. Just hang in there. If it's getting thin it will still be getting thin if you chop it all off, so may as well leave it and see what happens next. Thin and long vs. thin and short.

It's not likely to be a permanent thing, I don't think.

Length
    14"/-/-
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Really, you just need to wait and see what the doc says. Since hairloss can come with both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism, I'd be cautious about taking supplements before then. The good news is that from what I understand, this symptom should stop once your hormone levels are under control - which, obviously, is a process/constant struggle, but you're not doomed to shedding hair forever till you go bald.

I would just manipulate it as little as humanly possible at the moment.

If you are diagnosed, there's a Hypothyroidism support thread in Health and Body Beautiful.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Def see a doc to check your thyroid and see what is suggested. I have had hypothyroidism for years and take a prescription for it. I just got updated bloodwork and they might up my meds cause my bloodwork showed it is still slightly low. I have had a lot of shedding hairs and it may be due to it. My hair sheds so easily, it went through a really bad stage about 8 months ago that had me very worried. Hopefully you can see if thyroid is off and that might help a ton.
    Working on longer, healthier hair!

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Mine has been 'treated' with conventional meds now for 18 years. In recent years my dosage needed to be steadily increased. I gave up wheat and soy products in February of this year (not for thyroid reasons). 6 months later my thyroid tests came back much better and I need a lower dosage again. I think personally that the wheat and soy products were not good for my particular body. I also have lost a lot of allergies and other autoimmune type symptoms. I think they are all tied in together.

My latest self-experiment while staying on the conventional meds, is reducing the amount of fluoride I get via water, drinks, food etc. If you think you are hypothyroid, google fluoride with thyroid and see what you think.

Supposedly, raw cruciferous veggies are also not good if you're hypothyroid. But I love 'em cooked and still eat them.

Good luck figuring all of this out for yourself, and I also recommend going to a doctor, if only to treat the T4 part of it.

If you do get some synthetic thyroid meds, be sure not to take them within 4 hours of iron supplements, and a handful of others (can't think right now).

Length
    12/32/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Soy products are known to cause problems with the thyroid.

Quote Originally Posted by MsBubbles View Post
    Mine has been 'treated' with conventional meds now for 18 years. In recent years my dosage needed to be steadily increased. I gave up wheat and soy products in February of this year (not for thyroid reasons). 6 months later my thyroid tests came back much better and I need a lower dosage again. I think personally that the wheat and soy products were not good for my particular body. I also have lost a lot of allergies and other autoimmune type symptoms. I think they are all tied in together.

My latest self-experiment while staying on the conventional meds, is reducing the amount of fluoride I get via water, drinks, food etc. If you think you are hypothyroid, google fluoride with thyroid and see what you think.

Supposedly, raw cruciferous veggies are also not good if you're hypothyroid. But I love 'em cooked and still eat them.

Good luck figuring all of this out for yourself, and I also recommend going to a doctor, if only to treat the T4 part of it.

If you do get some synthetic thyroid meds, be sure not to take them within 4 hours of iron supplements, and a handful of others (can't think right now).
    Started growing at 42. Always admired and wanted long hair. Thrilled to find waves!!!

2b-F-ii