Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My mom is so annoying!

Length
    23/32/term
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default My mom is so annoying!

I usually wear my hair up so I guess she just doesn't normally notice how long my hair is, but today I wore it down in a ponytail after getting home from work and my mom was all over me about *needing* to cut my hair.

She said I need to cut my hair because it is freakishly long, ugly and makes it look like I'm an aboriginal person. What the heck is wrong with looking aboriginal? She makes it sound like it's an insult and frankly I feel insulted she feels this way.

My mom totally frys her hair every few months with a perm and I prefer her naturally pin straight hair. I don't go telling her to *not* perm her hair because I realize it is something she likes to do.

Ugh. I like my long hair. She likes to tell me how ugly it is, that men won't like me because of it, that I need to dress more like a lady.

I don't feel any need to impress men right now. I just dress the way I like.

I told her that long hair is fashionable right now, to try to change her mind. I even pointed out all the celebrities who wear long hair extensions, but she said that it was different. She said that's fake hair and plus those celebrities need to have a certain look. Sigh. LOL

My Mom and I are just so different from each other. She never understands me. I respect that she's different, why can't she respect my views?

Ugh. Sorry venting. LOL I love her, but she is a pain sometimes. LOL
    Last edited by SandyStar; September 17th, 2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: typo

Length
    2/34/34
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: My mom is so annoying!

Argh, I can definitely understand your aggravation at that! Hair is a very personal subject, and it's not up to someone to tell someone ELSE how to do their hair. Besides, judging from your profile picture, your hair is GORGEOUS and if you were trying to attract men, I think it would do an ample job at that. :-D

Anyways, perhaps take a stand and state you'd rather not hear the negative comments, as your hair is your business, not hers? In any case, don't mind it... your hair is lovely!

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Just do what you want and let her stew in her crazy. They'll get over it...eventually.

My mom loves me, but I spent my entire childhood with her trying to "tame" my hair into nice waves while she went out and got the most horrendous poodle perms ever. But she had a vision for my hair, and even to this day she'll comment that I "should try to brush my hair".

Some people just don't get it. Oh well.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Length
    bsl/chin/tlb
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I have an aunt just like this so I've taken to making sure I wear my hair my hair down when she's around :]

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

If your mother is constantly putting down your appearance, that's abusive, in my opinion, and you do not have to tolerate it. It's your hair, your body, your choice. Not hers. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

Length
    23/32/term
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Thanks, she doesn't seem to get the hint. I don't know if it is because of our different cultures or whatever, but she doesn't seem to understand the concept of personal space, privacy or "own business" LOL.

I'm probably just going to wear my hair up around her from now on.

Length
    23/32/term
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Well, probably not truly abusive because she doesn't mean to hurt me. I don't even think she understands that comments like that can hurt.

It's like of like how she used to call me fat and wouldn't understand why I got all upset over it. I was sensitive to comments like that when I was younger due to poor self image, but thankfully I don't have that anymore and those comments roll off my back. Actually she doesn't even mention it now, maybe she's just accepted I'll never be slim.

Strangely she had less of a problem with my hair when I went through a phase of dying a strand pink then blue.

She just hates long hair I guess.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

As someone who was actually abused enough to end up in the foster care system, I hate the way the term "abusive" gets thrown around over every little thing. What her mom did was rude, not abusive from what I read.

OP: You can just walk away from the conversation, or change the subject. After a while, your mom should take the hint.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnylake View Post
    If your mother is constantly putting down your appearance, that's abusive, in my opinion, and you do not have to tolerate it. It's your hair, your body, your choice. Not hers. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    23/32/term
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Well, probably not truly abusive because she doesn't mean to hurt me. I don't even think she understands that comments like that can hurt.

It's like of like how she used to call me fat and wouldn't understand why I got all upset over it. I was sensitive to comments like that when I was younger due to poor self image, but thankfully I don't have that anymore and those comments roll off my back. Actually she doesn't even mention it now, maybe she's just accepted I'll never be slim.

Strangely she had less of a problem with my hair when I went through a phase of dying a strand pink then blue.

She just hates long hair I guess.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Weird! Some people seem to take it as a personal insult when you are different from them.

"How about you wear your hair how you like it and I wear my hair how I like it?"