Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any advice to trim own hair? i'm new here =)

Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Default any advice to trim own hair? i'm new here =)

hey all i'm brand new to these boards (i did my welcome in the new member section)

i've had one too many bad haircuts and stylists who didn't listen when i said trim or micro dusting so i'm done with them. i want to trim my own hair (well with my boyfriend's help) but haven't a clue where to begin. I'm scared I will mess it up.

I just got a trim about 2 weeks ago so won't need another for 3 months (i'm prone to splits- it's hard for me to go longer- but i can try)

..but any and all advice and tips will be so appriciated <3

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: any advice to trim own hair? i'm new here =)

Feye's Self Trim is the usual set of instructions that people like to follow for trimming their own hair. Give those a read to start with.

If you want to be a bit more daring, such as with mild layers, many people have had success with combing hair forward into a ponytail formed at the top of the head, middle of the forehead, or even in front of the nose, then snipped straight across.

All of these methods fall into the category of "Compact cuts," where the hair is gathered into a big chunk or a couple of big chunks, then snipped. They're much easier to do to yourself than all the sectioning and holding hair at funny angles is, especially once your hair gets longer than your arms. The look they give might not be quite the same, but for many of us it's quite acceptable and is a good trade-off for having autonomy over our own hair.

ETA: It may be obvious, but (1) don't take off too much and (2) don't freak out if it's not completely, perfectly even. You've got fairly curly hair -- your hemline will never be quite the same from one day to another anyway.
    Last edited by Anje; September 17th, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

My favorite way is to divide my hair straight down the middle into two even halves, then comb each half smoothly forward and make one ponytail out of the two sides right under my chin. Then I close a book over the length, keep it level, and slide it toward the ends, then cut straight across. It gives a soft U-shape to the ends when combed back.

Lately I've been going to a stylist to get layered ends, so the sig pic isn't representative of my technique.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

The feye self trim method. I've never done it but it seems simple and I'm going to try it.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    sl/waist/~
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I'd also suggest feye's self trim. If you're more of an audio-visual learner, check out Habioku's video on it on youtube (typing in her name and feye should do it) -- that's what I use as a reference before I cut mine.

I'd also suggest purchasing a pair of sharp hair-cutting scissors that you never use on anything but hair -- this will help prevent your hair from developing splits.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I also used Feye's method last time I trimmed my hair. I asked my sister to help me, and luckily my hair is pretty wavy so no-one can tell if it's a little uneven.

Length
    34/Long/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    My favorite way is to divide my hair straight down the middle into two even halves, then comb each half smoothly forward and make one ponytail out of the two sides right under my chin. Then I close a book over the length, keep it level, and slide it toward the ends, then cut straight across. It gives a soft U-shape to the ends when combed back.

Lately I've been going to a stylist to get layered ends, so the sig pic isn't representative of my technique.
    I am going to try this. Last time I used Faye's, I got a smooth hemline, but it distinctly angled downward from the left to the right, and I think that was from the bringing-the-tail-over-my-shoulder-to-the-front step.

I need to ask, though, is the book supposed to face parallel to the body or perpendicular? I pictured perpendicular at first, but decided that didn't quite make sense. . .
    Last edited by jasper; September 18th, 2012 at 04:43 AM.

Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Thanks for replies everyone! =)
    Feyes method seems great- thank u! Next time i need a trim i will try that way. I agree- mymhair is wavy/curly so any unevenness shouldnt be too noticeable.

I will have to youtube it too. Youtube vids alwAys seemmto help. I wish i can detach my hair to trim it lol

Ive watched vids of people doing the ponytail on top of head and snipping straight across. That terrifies me personally. I dont think id do it right. Plus the layers i have i am trying to grow out

The book method sounds interesting too for trims.

Thanks again everyone!

Length
    pixie/TBL/45 in
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I like the CREACLIP!Check out the different hair cuts and how to do them on utube.

Length
    15/32/33
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by dulce View Post
    I like the CREACLIP!Check out the different hair cuts and how to do them on utube.
    I also very much recommend the creaclip, it is pretty much faultless for a simple trim and you can pick up a knock off brand from eBay for very little. If i don't have my creaclip i use feye's method.

Natural Blonde...Had a few years off LHC enjoying my long hair (a little too much) Back to improve on hair quality ....and maybe a little more length
    WAIST/HIP - - -1c/2a - ii - F - - -