Thread: Protecting my hair on Holiday

Length
    23/23/27

Default Protecting my hair on Holiday

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum (as a poster - I have been lurking and reading things on here for a few weeks now!)

I recently stopped bleaching my hair and stopped using any heat styling. I have it dyed with and ammonia free and (practically) peroxide free Demi permanent gloss at te hair dressers every 6-7 weeks, so my hair is chemically treated. The last time I went to the hairdressers - just over a week ago - a trainee dried my hair and managed to
    majorly fry it with the blow dryer and straighteners. I have done a few S&Ds since and cut off the burnt patches of my hair (yep some bits looked like I had held a lighter to them!!) and it's feeling in better condition again now.

I am going on holiday next week to Spain, and I live in the UK so my hair isn't used to being in the heat/sun! What can I do whilst I'm away to help protect my hair and colour? I normally wash my hair every 3 days but I have a feeling that will increase on holiday.

I feel like I keep taking one step forwards
    two steps back with my hair and I don't want holiday to be two steps back again!!

Type
    2a/C/iii

Default Re: Protecting my hair on Holiday

Hi Lottie Welcome. I think if you keep your hair protected by conditioner only washing and leaving conditioner/oil in and maybe bunning it during the day, the heat might help it repair more.

I know what you mean about not being used to the sun here. This summer has been rubbish! I hope you have a lovely holiday and enjoy the sun!
    2a/m/c/iii GROWING OUT HENNA AS TOO MUCH GREY NOW

Type
    2b/M/iii

Wear a white scarf or white straw hat. No use getting a burnt scalp!

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/iii

I second the hat simply for the scalp protection! Try not to worry about your hair too much, you're on holiday! Try to keep it protected, condition it well and it all should be fine.

Length
    sl/APL/wl+
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

Wearing a scarf/hat is a good idea, you can also dilute sun screen and spray that on your hair.
    Lady Cuilpantiel Of The Raven Tower in the Order of the Longhaired Knights.
    The Few, The Proud, The Vaguely Creepy

Length
    SL/FTL/FTL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

When I was on vacation in Hawaii, and swimming in the ocean 2-3 times a day, I put lots of coconut oil in my hair and kept it braided, and rinsed the salt water out asap. You might not be doing a lot of swimming, but the coconut oil (or another if you prefer, I love coconut oil as protection) meant that it didn't get dried out from washing it more or being wet all the time. Hats are nice too. Sunburns are no fun.

Length
    A bob/Hip/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I've been putting my hair up a lot lately and that exposed the back of my neck. Got a touch of a sunburn from that! Might be worth an extra dab of sunscreen!
    Have a good trip!

Length
    SL/TBL/Class
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I normally CO wash when I'm on vacation. I don't mind slightly greasy hair and it helps to protect my scalp and define my waves.
    May 2017
    Lady Rhoslynn Of Two Wheeled Thunder~Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    23/23/27

Thanks for the tips! I don't normally CO wash as I have a sensitive scalp and this seems to make it itchy, but I have sulphate free shampoo, and plenty of good conditioner so hopefully I'll be fine!

Last year when I went on holiday I had bleach blonde hair, didn't put any protection on it and heat styled it every day!! At least whatever I do this time will be better than that