Thread: Layers and braids

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Default Layers and braids

Are layers and braids together just not meant to be? I love my layers, but I have always wanted to learn how to braid, and I recently started practicing and have found that layers and braid just don't work out. Is there any way around this or do I just have to choose which one I like better?

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Layers and braids

I have layers that I'm growing out - personally the only braid I can do that looks ok without too many layers sticking out is a French braid. I can also do twin English braids for the gym with a longish 'tail'.

However, my hair is between APL and BSL, and my layers are just above APL so there's a decent difference. It might depend on whether your layers are longer, or less difference between the length of them and the length of your hair?
    APL BSL WL TBL

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

My shortest layer is above APL and my hair is nearly at waist length right now. *sigh*

Type
    3a/M/ii

My shortest layer is above APL and the longest is past waist, so that's about the same, right? I braid my hair all the time. I love the look of braids. If I'm concerned about the layers sticking out, I twist the strand whenever I see one about to poke out before crossing it over, so the pesky layer is on the inside and can't poke out. That, and oiling it -- any oil, really -- helps.
    But I'm growing out my layers so I can get braids with minimal taper. ^^ I just hate that about my layers, how they make my braids look so skinny.
    You cannot prevent the birds of sadness from passing over your head, but you can prevent their making a nest in your hair.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I'll have to try that. thanks!

Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

I have long layers and wear braids a lot. I find the only solution (apart from pushing the sticking out bits back in) is to re-braid several times during the day.
    I prefer this inconvenience to not having layers.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Braiding layers depends on the number of layers and the length.

My hair has 2 lengths (from a bad trim I did a number of years ago). In order to get the most out of my braids, I do this:

1) Start to braid as usual.

2) About 3 inches above where the hair is shorter, start adding in some long hair to the short sections on each side. IMP! Try to keep the long hairs on the outside of the shorter section as you braid.

3) keep adding long hair to the outside short sections as your braid down to the ends

Bottom line: the long hairs help keep the shorter hairs in place while you're braiding.

yup, I do what Madora suggested. I scoop some long layers in with the shorter ones, and they don't poke out too much and stay put all day. I braid my hair ALOT, and also have layers ranging from my chin (old grown out bangs) to the longest at waist. practice helps too - you'll learn where to start the braids to keep the shorties in. If I start my dutch braid WAYYY up high, the shorty layers get in, and stay in, no problem. If I start it too far towards the back of my head, I get pokies, or they come loose and fall out.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

In my experience, layers just make braids more messy, but it's still possible to braid.