Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boar Bristle Brush Advice Please

Length
    7 in/16 in/30 in
    Type
    2c/M/i

Question Boar Bristle Brush Advice Please

Ok, still gathering the right products for awesome hair care on my path to growing long beautiful and healthy hair. So, got my silk pillow cases to lessen the damage to hair and now its time for the boar bristle brush. Any and all info all of you can give me would be much appreciated! Best brand? Where to you buy? What should I be looking for?

And once again, thank you all for all the help and info! You are all so awesome!

Length
    Pixie/knee/???
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Boar Bristle Brush Advice Please

Here's a link to a thread with some useful information:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...+bristle+brush

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I have a Mason Pearson 100% pure bristle and cannot recommend them enough, ive tried cheaper versions and its like comparing burgers to fillet steak. Its by far the best thing ive ever bought for my hair ever!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    APL/Hip+/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

*cough* Article that I submitted *cough*

I think that for starting out with a BBB, a drugstore one would be good. Some people swear by their Goody brand BBBs. I have one from Sally's Beauty Supply.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
    -Helen Keller

Length
    21/22/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

I agree with Jojo. My Mason Pearson was so amazing, I bought a pocket size to put in my purse (in case I stay at my BF's place). I use a comb first, then I brush, and it's sooo glorious... My dad's has lasted for 30 years without his taking care of it whatsoever, so I think they're worth the money you'll pay up front.

Length
    21/22/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

Oh, also, if you get the regular size Mason Pearson, it comes with a cleaning brush to... clean your brush... =)

Gimmee all the goats!!! GoatLady's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/TBL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I found my BBB at my local Marlene's. It was about $12 and has a cool striped bamboo handle.

Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I've had my Mason Pearson bristle and nylon brush for about 12 years and its one of my favourite belongings... and my hair loves it too :-)

Length
    Shldr/BSL/Term
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Has anyone tried the mixed bristle and the pure boar? I'm wondering which one would be right for my hair. I know some people recommend pure boar since plastic might be more damaging and can generate heat. However, I just can't imagine any way it could damage hair since the bristles are supposed to be rounded, and I feel like if your brushing generates enough heat to damage your hair, well then you would probably have other prolems...
    I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

Type
    2b/M/iii

@Lollipop...

Natural boar bristle brushes are the best type for your hair.

Plastic bristles mixed with boar bristles will kill you hair because plastic generates heat..not a good thing if you want to keep your hair looking nice. (I knew someone who used nylon and her hair was a disaster from that plastic!)

How you brush also determines your ultimate success. Detangle first with a wide tooth comb, working from the ends of the strands up to the scalp.

Of course boar bristle brushes vary in stiffness (although the stiffness dissipates in time).

The bottom of the bbb should be FLAT and the handle should feel comfortable to hold. There should be at least six rows of bristles.

Since my hair is thick, after I finish my 100 strokes in the morning, I take my brush and firmly press in down (with both hands) on my scalp and "scritch" a little. I move the brush just a little bit (one inch increments) from one side of the head to the other, and from front to back. Then I run a wide tooth comb thru the hair once again, just to be sure there are no tangles.

I've been using Goody natural boar bristle brushes for over 30 years. Each one has lasted 10 years and I'm on my last Goody bbb now.

Brushing is good for your hair, providing you brush correctly..and with a PURE boar bristle brush!