Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Search and Destroy

Length
    BSL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Default Search and Destroy

Ok, so until I found LHC, the concept of search and destroy was unfamiliar to me. Whenever I saw split or damaged ends, I would simply make my way back to the beautician and get a trim (which I hated to do because I wanted long hair). I've decided that in 2015 I will forgo the trims and do S&D only because I want to reach solid waist by end of the year (I'm a little past BSL now with a U - almost V - shaped hemline) and eventually my ultimate goal is fairy tale ends at TBL. My question is this - is there any particular method to doing S&D? What works best for some of yall that have had success with it?

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Search and Destroy

First and foremost, use sharp shears..and keep those shears only for S and D.
    Secondly, do it in good light! Don't ruin your eyes!
    Third: do it in small sections: ie take a small section of hair (pencil sized), gently twist it, then look for any split ends that pop up.
    Or: just pick up a few strands and visually search for white dots or split ends...usually the last 3 inches of hair are the most likely places to find splits..but you can find them at almost any place along the strand.

To aid in seeing the splits, I hold my hair up in front of my tv screen (which is not on).
    Working against a white background also helps. (Dark background if you have light colored hair).

Best defense against splits: stay away from unfriendly hair practices, try and wear your hair up. Use mineral oil on the ends (just a drop or two, not more).

Length
    12/17/30
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Sorry to hijack, but...

Any suggestions on S&D with short (SL) hair?

Length
    BSL/clas/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Use very sharp scissors. I bought salon quality scissors just for S and Ding. Use good light. I have an under cupboard light that helps me see my dark blond hairs very well over the black counter top. The best light for me is in the car on a sunny day. Some people carry scissors in the car for s and d ing. I also bought a pair of super magnified reading glasses. Section your hair so you don't repeat the same spots. Be sure to look at hairs that aren't just the longest ones, and also splits can happen an inch or more up the hair shaft, so you will miss some if you look just at the tips.

I stopped trims and did s and d only for the past year and grew 7 inches. And after one year, I have fairy tails.

Length
    BSL/clas/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

And, spending a few minutes once a week or every few days is better than waiting a month and doing a huge long session (that makes you never want to do it again!).
    Last edited by lunalocks; December 18th, 2014 at 05:50 PM.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lunalocks View Post
    And, spending a few minutes one a week or every few days is better than waiting a month and doing a huge long session (that makes you never want to do it again!).
    ^^^^ to the max!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sarahchant View Post
    Sorry to hijack, but...

Any suggestions on S&D with short (SL) hair?
    Would S&D be necessary on SL hair? I think personally I only started doing it when I got to APL as it was so much easier to see, but it's up to you, just makes for some awkward neck twisting.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Halliday View Post
    Would S&D be necessary on SL hair? I think personally I only started doing it when I got to APL as it was so much easier to see, but it's up to you, just makes for some awkward neck twisting.
    If you can hold the hair in front of you, w/o awkward or painful neck twisting, then fine.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I often snip off any splits or knots that I see sticking out of my braids.

Length
    BSL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    First and foremost, use sharp shears..and keep those shears only for S and D.
    Secondly, do it in good light! Don't ruin your eyes!
    Third: do it in small sections: ie take a small section of hair (pencil sized), gently twist it, then look for any split ends that pop up.
    Or: just pick up a few strands and visually search for white dots or split ends...usually the last 3 inches of hair are the most likely places to find splits..but you can find them at almost any place along the strand.

To aid in seeing the splits, I hold my hair up in front of my tv screen (which is not on).
    Working against a white background also helps. (Dark background if you have light colored hair).

Best defense against splits: stay away from unfriendly hair practices, try and wear your hair up. Use mineral oil on the ends (just a drop or two, not more).
    Thank you for the information!!! It's very helpful!!

Use very sharp scissors. I bought salon quality scissors just for S and Ding. Use good light. I have an under cupboard light that helps me see my dark blond hairs very well over the black counter top. The best light for me is in the car on a sunny day. Some people carry scissors in the car for s and d ing. I also bought a pair of super magnified reading glasses. Section your hair so you don't repeat the same spots. Be sure to look at hairs that aren't just the longest ones, and also splits can happen an inch or more up the hair shaft, so you will miss some if you look just at the tips.

I stopped trims and did s and d only for the past year and grew 7 inches. And after one year, I have fairy tails.
    7 inches in one year!?!?!? That's amazing!!! I don't know if mine will grow that much in one year with S&D, but I would love it if it did!

And, spending a few minutes one a week or every few days is better than waiting a month and doing a huge long session (that makes you never want to do it again!).
    Thank you for that tip! I'll remember that so I don't get annoyed and turn myself off it.