Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you "count" your hair shedding?

Default How do you "count" your hair shedding?

I know 50-100 hairs are shed each day. But how do you keep track of how much you are shedding?

It's impossible to count them all but how do you estimate the number of hairs in your hairball?

For instance, I wash my hair once a week or twice at the most, alot of my shedding for some reason all comes out when I have a shower so I have this big hairball & its getting bigger as my hair is getting longer. But I don't know where im shedding too little, the normal amount or too much?

So I was wondering how everyone else knows how much they shed without counting?

Length
    SL/BSL/???
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Default Re: How do you "count" your hair shedding?

I just gauge what is normal for me, I try not to compare to everyone else. And I only really pay attention to my shower furballs. Obviously, furballs get bigger as hair gets longer, so that is nothing to worry about. I've only ever counted strands once, I usually just give it a quick eye over and leave it at that. I don't obsess over it.

Just remember, if your pony circumference is remaining constant, then you have nothing to worry about!
    between the click of the light and the start of the dream
    Cursing my long torso all the way to BSL!
    SL - APL - BSL - WL - TBL - CL - KNEE???

Length
    22/22/hmm
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I always wondered how people manage to count their shed hairs, too!

Length
    pixie/short/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I just count all the hairs that fall out in the run of a day. It's fairly simple to do, since no hair falls out if I leave my hair alone and have it up. You just count the shed hairs when you comb it out before washing, comb it out at the end of the day, and use a trap in the tub to catch those that fall out during washing (oh, and count those that happen to come out when you're putting your hair up, too).

I get an average of 100 hairs shed daily. Or at least, I did last time I bothered to check.
    In a grow and cut cycle...

Length
    chin/BSL+/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

One, two, three, four...

There is no point in obsessing over the exact number. If it looks like more than usual, then it probably is more than usual. But as long as the hair doesn't seem thinner, you shouldn't worry.
    Too lazy to make a new siggy.

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Well I just do count them from time to time if it seems like more than usual Mine come off mostly in shower while I am detangling, so it's not that difficult to gather them and count, pulling off one by one (or two). You don't need to count all, just estimate.

Hair is like cat. You can't really tame it, you just have to care and enjoy.

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I never count them accurately, I don't think that anyone really does count every single shed hair
    I see like four hairs on my brush after I have brushed it. That is normal, if I see non at all it's mostly because I have brushed it already that day or due to oiling the day before (which reduces shedding).

I also see if some hairs come off when I shower. Or if I find some on my clothes. These things are put together and I can estimate an average shedding for a day. I don't usually put so much attention to it, but if I shed a lot I usually count them just to see if it's getting worse or better.

In a hair ball I try to estimate how many there are instead of trying to count one hair at a time. This gets harder the longer my hair gets because it always looks like there is more hair in a hairball than it really is because the hairs are longer.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Nulliparous Snarkus RadiantNeedle's Avatar
    Length
    15"/Knee/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I count as I go, collecting when I detangle and comb, catching as many as I can when I wash, when I take my hair up or down and pick strays off my clothing. I pause while detangling to count the hairs I've collected one by one, then I ball them up and throw them in the bin.
    It's not 100% accurate, but it's a start.
    8<3
    Currently Knee Length, Ridiculous Bunwaves, Sulphate Free Shampoo, Conefree Condish, Coconut Oil Addict!

Length
    17/46/54
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I just gauge it by how big the hairball is - though when I am combing downward, a lot of the breakage (not there is a LOT of breakage...) drops to the floor. I just *know* when it is more than usual.

Account Closed by Member Request

I did when I was shedding 3x normal. I was shedding about 300+ hairs a day and had visible thinning on top. It slowled drastically after I made some dietary changes and a few medical ones. I counted occasionally afterwards out of paranoia. It went down to the usual 100 or so a day.