Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to go shopping?

Default Where to go shopping?

Since joining LHC I've seen all sorts of hair accessories and hair toys that I've never encountered before. I had to google the definition of ficcare, for instance.

Well, where does one go to buy these things?

I know, I know, Walmart. Except that the selection in the local Walmart is very lackluster. And larger stores seem to have only a slightly larger selection. Not a great resource.

Sally Beauty? The local one is a tiny store with almost nothing in stock. Again, the glorious things I see showcased on this site do not exist there.

Online is always an option, but it's nice to see things in person.

So what stores carry hair toys? As my hair increases in length I have a feeling that I'll have to do some budgeting.

Suggestions?

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Where to go shopping?

Ficcare is carried by nordstrom, so you can see those in person if you have one near you. Pretty much everything else you see on LHC is on Etsy with a few exceptions.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Near is relative. I believe the closest Nordstrom is appx 75 miles away, though there used to be a Nordstrom Rack at an outlet mall slightly closer.

So...department stores.

As for etsy, that's online. I was hoping there was an IRL store that might carry this sort of thing. That's why I asking.

I'm new to long hair and hair accessories, so I'm not sure what I'm looking at in a catalog.

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I have yet to see an IRL store that carries any hair toys above basic clips. I once saw a pair of awkward looking sticks at a Sally's. Like above, you can find fakkares (ficcare knock offs/look alikes) sometimes in stores like Walmart or Shoppers Drug Mart. If you were thinking about purchasing sticks I would probably try making your own using chopsticks, pencils, etc to see if you like wearing them and what approximate length you would need.

Other than that, your best bet is either etsy or try getting something off the swap board. There is a RAOK thread you might be interested in.

24 - 25 - 26 - 27 - 28 - 29 - 30 - 31 - 32 - 33 - 34

Length
    24+/TBL/E=mc2
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I haunted the Conventional Products & Hair Accessories forum on here to start with (and then swap board). I'm not sure where you are, but here in Australia we don't have much in the stores for longer/thicker hair, but the markets sometimes have Indonesian-made forks, sticks and clips that aren't bad for starting out.
    Lady Soreil, Fey-Born Bard in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    ~spider silk fine, 4.5" pony circ.~

~Back from Tippy Fingers to the Buttzone, yet forever onwards through varied hues of Tawny Trails, towards ye Crystal Cascades~

Length
    SL/WL/HL
    Type
    3c/C/iii

Your best bet would be craft fairs. I'm in the UK so a lot of the hair toys I see on here are unavailable or are expensive to ship, I've very jelly of the US users at times with their gorgeous hairsticks. But the few hair sticks I do have were from various fairs and festivals, ranging from local craft ones to Witchfest (a Pagan event).

Sorry it's not a specific store, but I've no clue about US shops and the like.
    • SL CBL APL BSL MBL WL HL
    • no trims in 2019 (failed oct 2019) • shooting for hip by December 2019 (done) •

Length
    ?/71/Term
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

If you have an Asian Market or something similar nearby they are likely to sell chopsticks that can double as hairsticks and often have really pretty designs.
    Princess Cerise of the Blushing Hues in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

surprised her hair's long Corvana's Avatar
    Length
    2"/Hip/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

You could check around at Ren fairs, as well.

Maintaining at Hip-BCL for now.
    Lady Corvana, Keeper of Ravens and Crows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Art/craft fairs, Renaissance fairs, and occasionally boutique or import shops (but these are often much lower quality than the Etsy shops that are regularly discussed on LHC).

I've tried Nordstrom Rack for Ficcares, they only had the fake ones.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

As mentioned by others, craft fairs, Renaissance Faires, and other festival-type venues are great sources. Here's another one that might not have occurred to you (and results may vary, depending on your location): Some of the farmers markets in my area also have vending areas for artisans such as jewelry makers. There's a woman at the one in my neighborhood who makes awesome wooden forks and hair sticks.