Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cowlicks!

Length
    Chin/Flip/BSL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Default Cowlicks!

Hey all!

I've been lurking for a while and decided it's time to make my first post Sorry if this has been talked about before (did a quick search couldn't find too much).

I've just started growing my hair out, right now it's just above shoulders. I've also just taken the plunge and given up heat styling completely. So, my problem is cowlicks!. I have a two huge cowlicks, once in the back of my head and one right in front, that prevents my bangs from lying flat. I used to deal with them by blowdrying those areas out but I'd like to try to stay away from heat.

Does anyone else have this problem and have a way to deal with these beasts? Or on the other hand, has anyone found that as their hair has grown longer, their cowlicks have become been tamed by the weight of their hair?

Length
    17/28/34
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default Re: Cowlicks!

The reason I don't have bangs anymore is because of my bangy-cowlick! I wish you luck in dealing with yours. And...definitely growing out my bangs has made that cowlick less noticeable.

However, since they *are* only bangs and will pretty much always be young hair (getting trimmed all the time and whatnot) would it really hurt to blow them dry?

[edit] ohgosh how rude of me! ...and welcome!
    So I waited for the riddled sky
    To be solved again by the sunrise

Elvis Perkins

Length
    33.8/Hip/thigh
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

I believe in BBB-brushing that area and massaging for some minutes every day-to improve the circulation in the area,hence the growing of new hair there.I´ve seen many women with heavy hair in a ponytail everyday developing cowlicks probably from the constant pulling down of the hair. My cowlicks (with baby hairs) got less visible after I started BBB-brushing,especially,those areas where my hair felt thinner.Henna also made my hairs thicker and the cowlicks appear much smaller.Hope this helps.It works for me.
    Lady Geshtai of the Blessed Waters in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I have severe cowlicks at my temples and never successfully had bangs because of them. I can get away with a long fringe, since the weight pulls them straighter, but that is about it. I cut some wispies right in the front, but they are not laying properly, so I will probably let them grow out.
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    23 in/25.5/40
    Type
    1b/M/ii

i have a minor cowlick but to make my hair lie falt i just part my hair in the direction it goes and if i want a little volume i go against it

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Welcome to the community! I'm new too

Oh man do I have the worst cowlick! I'm almost tempted to take a picture of it and post it on this thread My hair is super short (maybe a little bit more than 2 inches at most) And I have a horrible cowlick right on the back of my head and it looks crazy. NOTHING I do fixes it- I've tried straightening my hair, blow drying it, product, but nothing works.

So for now, until my hair grows a little bit longer, I'm stuck wearing hats and using lots of hair clips.

Rodent Of Unusual Size Capybara's Avatar
    Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Welcome, and congratulations on your first post

I have a cowlick right in the front. I've found that length didn't really tone it down any - it just has a strange growth pattern, and a widow's peak to boot :P I've found that bangs actually help to camouflage the cowlick. If I want to tame it a bit, I'll clip it to the side opposite the direction the cowlick grows when my hair is wet, and not remove the clip until it is dry. If you don't want a crease where the clip was, you could always wrap the hair with a piece of ribbon or tissue beforehand.

Sometimes, I take advantage of my cowlick It can form the illusion of more volume, which can be useful.

HTH

Length
    na/44/na
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Hahaha. I had to laugh when I read your post! Welcome to the group.

When I was 14 or 15 years old, I wore my hair always braided. It was about knee length. I was getting out of the car with my friends at a movie theater and the braid got caught in the door. Yanked me right off my feet in front of everyone.

When I got home I scissored off the braid at the nape of my neck. I thought it would be cute to have short at the back, a little longer at the sides (coming to point, following my jawline) and I made a nice, careful fringe of bangs too. At the next wash, the bangs stood straight out in front like some sort of antennae..more on one side than the other, Nothing would hold them down. I have a cowlick at my hairline and I never knew it until I cut the hair.

The moral here (besides a funny story) is that the weight of longer hair will eventually outweigh (pun intended) the cowlicks. You can also use a bandanna or scarf to hold the hair in the position you want as it's drying. You'll find it will mostly keep the shape and direction it was dried in. I wore the bandanna headband for almost a year, very annoyed when it became fashionable and I had to stop.

My hair has always been much easier to deal with (in every way) when it's at least BSL (bra-strap-length).

I only look confused. Arctic_Mama's Avatar
    Length
    Shldr/Waist/Knee
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

I have a cowlick in the back of my head that makes my part skew to one side if i don't specifically comb it another way. I just ignore it for all intents and purposes.
    The hair is the richest ornament of women. - Martin Luther
    Goal: Virgin knee length

Length
    pixie/28/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

I have an awful terrible really bad cowlick in the back. It's so bad that my hair parts away from it and makes it look like I have a huge thin spot in that area. I compensate by keeping my bangs long enough to pull back and cover the area. So yeah...you're not alone by any stretch of the imagination.
    Proud member of the Renegrays Gang