Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your hair grow "lifestyle" routine

Length
    Chin/APL/....?
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Default What's your hair grow "lifestyle" routine

So I'm doing research on hair growth and trying to put together a plan of action to make myself feel like I'm contributing to my hair growth jounry.

I was wondering about you guys. Do any of you growing your hair have any special lifestyle habbit's choices routines that you do that you feel especially helps with your hair growth? What about you guys who have achived your desired length. What was your jounry like?

I'm planning on trading all drinks for water... starting as soon as my diet cokes run out.. lol ...If I go ahead and start getting into the water drinking habbit maybe I can strech them out longer....

I made a foods list.... according to this artical on WebMD I just read...

salmon, ground flax, spinach, broccoli, dark greens, kidney beans, almonds, chicken, eggs, oysters, beef, milk, yogurt and carrots are tops for hair growth....

I actually already eat pretty much all those things but I could probably be doing more... eating cleaner....

What about scalp massage? Do you think daily is too much? once a week?

Do you brush your hair daily? Do you skip days?

How often do you trim? Are you a mooncycler? Or a 6 monther? Or a 6 week-er... Or do you just never cut unless you get a split end?

What about accessories? hair toys, shower caps, sleep caps, silk pillow cases? How hair nuts are you, really? lol

I'm just curious. I think it would be so intresting to see what you guys do and dont do. What you think is worth doing or not worth doing.....

If you could when you respond, please give your hair type, you current length and desired leangth or terminal if you're where you wanna be. You know, just a general hair overview for you.. that way we can compair if simular types are doing simular things

Length
    15/36/45?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: What's your hair grow "lifestyle" routine

My suggestion would be to "type" your own hair so others with similar hair can offer their advice. A lot of hair success is trial and error, what works for some is disaster for others.

I like coconut oil on days I know I'm not going in the public or that my hair WILL be in a bun(does great stuff, but very greasy).
    I use satin pillow cases.
    I use poo every 2nd or third day and have started making my own olive & coconut oil shampoo bar 'cause "regular" shampoo just dries it out terribly!
    Co-wash daily.
    I finger comb every thing, but beat my bangs into submission with a curling iron.
    I use henna to help with condition as well as color.
    I micro trim about every three months but am trying very hard to make that every 6 months.
    I put my hair up in hair sticks or use a non grabbing pony tail holder.

Welcome to LHC!
    Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Length
    24/30/44in
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/iii

I dont shampoo with regular shampoo anymore (too drying.) I now use different powdered herbs such as shikakai, and only wash once a week maybe. I also go out in the sun more which is making a HUGE difference. My hair/scalp LOVE the sun! I use a moisturizing mist for my scalp. I guess I dont produce that much sebum and my hair grows so slow because of that, especially in winter, so I find that the mist and sun etc.. really are helping with my hair growth! The mist is from redwood-roots.com . Hope this helps!!
    "Lady Sahhar of the Moonlit, Jeweled Desert in the order of the Long Haired Knights"

Length
    2"/28.5"/none
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by akuamoonmaui View Post
    My suggestion would be to "type" your own hair so others with similar hair can offer their advice. A lot of hair success is trial and error, what works for some is disaster for others.
    I second what akuamoonmaui suggested. Figure out your hair type so that others will know what kind of hair you have and may be able to give better advice.

I started taking coq-10, B-100 Complex, and folic acid to help with my energy levels and noticed that my hair and nails were healthier. I also believe Biotin is really great for hair and nail growth.

I only was my hair about 1-2 times a week with an organic "shampoo" that is free of chemicals by Aubrey Organics, followed by their conditioner. I adore all their products and use their sensitive skin care products as well. Going mostly chemical free has really made an improvement. I try to eat cleanly as well and get in good proteins. As a veggie, I wasn't taking in enough protein so I started taking whey protein in smoothies and noticed my hair was getting healthier. Definitely having a balanced diet helps with the health of your hair!

Length
    Chin/APL/....?
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Ok... my hair is probably about 1C/2A ...I would say probably M and about - ii ...although I'm really not certian about the F/M/C ...I just went with M because it falls in the middle and my hair kind of has an atribute of all 3 descriptions so it confused me.. lol
    Last edited by Arden; June 19th, 2012 at 09:31 PM.

Length
    17/24/32
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Finger comb or wood comb
    coconut oil and braids at night
    satin pillow case
    bunning during the day
    alternate btw castor oil & monistat treatments
    supplements
    high protein foods
    sulfate/cone free shampoo and conditioners

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Oh, my. Not to burst your bubble, but thinking about all that is way too much work for me! But in a nutshell...

I try to eat a good diet with plenty of veggies and fruits, but I don't really care about diet in terms of hair. I think supplements are a crock for the most part (sorry, but I do, and since I don't ever get sick I guess I have good reason). I think diet is far more important than any pill. I don't like chicken, eggs, or oysters, and I don't care if it makes my hair grow a foot a month, I'm not gonna eat it if I don't like it! I don't do scalp massages. I don't brush daily. I do it when I feel like it and have time. I microtrim when the urge strikes me, which is sometimes once a month, sometimes every three weeks, sometimes every few months. I haven't done a real trim in three years. I wash when I think I need to.

I use silk beanies and a silk pillowcase at night. I like trying new products even though I end up disliking most of them. I love hair toys!

I don't think it's worth obsessing over anything, but limiting damage is always a good idea. My hair is currently hip length and growing pretty fast lately--I'd say at least an inch a month. 2c/3a, M, iii, and I started at chin a little less than three years ago.

ETA : My picture's a few months old, so my hair's several inches longer now. Hard to say how much because I don't measure and there's been a number of microtrims.
    Last edited by jeanniet; June 19th, 2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Eta

Length
    Chin/APL/....?
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jeanniet View Post
    Oh, my. Not to burst your bubble, but thinking about all that is way too much work for me! But in a nutshell...

I try to eat a good diet with plenty of veggies and fruits, but I don't really care about diet in terms of hair. I think supplements are a crock for the most part (sorry, but I do, and since I don't ever get sick I guess I have good reason). I think diet is far more important than any pill. I don't like chicken, eggs, or oysters, and I don't care if it makes my hair grow a foot a month, I'm not gonna eat it if I don't like it! I don't do scalp massages. I don't brush daily. I do it when I feel like it and have time. I microtrim when the urge strikes me, which is sometimes once a month, sometimes every three weeks, sometimes every few months. I haven't done a real trim in three years. I wash when I think I need to.

I use silk beanies and a silk pillowcase at night. I like trying new products even though I end up disliking most of them. I love hair toys!

I don't think it's worth obsessing over anything, but limiting damage is always a good idea. My hair is currently hip length and growing pretty fast lately--I'd say at least an inch a month. 2c/3a, M, iii, and I started at chin a little less than three years ago.

ETA : My picture's a few months old, so my hair's several inches longer now. Hard to say how much because I don't measure and there's been a number of microtrims.

No No, that's cool... if someone is not overly "obsessive" about thier hair that's cool too.... I mean there was this one youtube chick who was all.. "people ask me all the time what I do to my hair... uh... I dont cut it" ....lol... it was too funny... she was basically saying how people think it needs to be somthing special and she just does whatever... and that's cool....

I acctually like your way of looking at it... I'm pretty laid back and get board easy... I dont think I could be all type "A" and super nuts about sticking to a strick regiment... I just figured it would be an intrestinig topic of conversation... not to mention a good thread for newbies (like myself) to read for ideas....

I am also a product junkie... since I went off commerical shampoo's I have the feeling hair toys may end up being my new obsession... lol.... I use to be one of these people who had like the protine shampoo, the moisture shampoo.. etc etc... I counted one time and I had somthing like 12 diffrent hair products in my shower... I think that was the point I desided enough was enough and started looking into "no poo" and "low poo' options...

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

I'm not really a product junkie in the sense of using a lot of product, but I like to experiment. I dunno, my hair grows about the same no matter what.

Length
    27 in/33 in/Hip
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

I use horse shampoo. It helped my hair grow. And I wear my hair down once in awhile. From November 2011 to March, my hair grew four inches. After not growing for two years. I think it helps to wear it up.