Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curlies: moisturising hair

Length
    17/42/30

Default Curlies: moisturising hair

Evening all,

I'm looking for any advice as to how I should moisturise my hair on a daily basis. My hair is quite dry naturally and also unfortunately quite frizzy. I find that whenever I oil my hair (by smoothing my hands over it) I actually end up with more frizz. Odd, I know. Whenever I spritz I also get a slight frizz halo. Am I alone?

I also have an incredibly frizzy canopy of hair. It is actually wavy in comparison to the rest of my hair. I'd love to try and combat this if anyone has any ideas!

Thank you.

ETA: my signature picture is not an accurate representation of my hair at the moment! That was actually a good day. Ha.

Goal met and exceeded, now what?
    I have curly virgin hair which is currently tailbone length un-stretched.

Length
    13-15/29/32-40
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Default Re: Curlies: moisturising hair

Do you damp-oil your hair and then comb the oil throughout your length? Because that's how I oil my hair, and I've never had a problem with frizz. It could be that the oil isn't distributed properly, so most of your hair is frizzing despite oiling because it's just not getting the oil.

And in general, most oils seal moisture in as opposed to adding moisture; maybe it frizzes because you're oiling it dry.
    Length: Hip-length waves (May 2014) || Optional: TBL - Classic

Lady Ursa, Daughter of the Sea, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    17/42/30

I don't comb my hair at all apart from when I am washing it, to comb through my hair when slightly damp would be impossible without tons of conditioner and water. I do spritz before oiling but I can't escape the frizz! I'm really at the end of my tether here and completely stuck for ideas

Length
    28/44/40
    Type
    2a/M/ii

My hair gets very frizzy too and CO washing/silk pillow case helped.

Lady Leeloo Minai, Keeper of the Fifth Key, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2a-M-iiCL-SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HL-TBL-ClassicDrop by drop fills the tub” - Proverb

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Co-washing frequently is what helped my up the moisture in my hair. Oiling is what prevents brittleness, and I usually do that MUCH less often (about once a month).

My hair routine is in my blog, but basically it's frequent wetting, frequent conditioning, and more conditioner on top!
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

A lot of conditioner--I CO wash, and then use another conditioner on top of that, and then use a leave-in as well. I also use gel; I really can't get away without the gel because it's windy here nearly all the time. Without anything to hold the curl together, I get a lot of frizz, and with the gel, I can go 2-3 days and still have good looking hair with minimal frizz. I use oil as a sealer, and then very lightly to smooth any bits of frizz that might develop, but the oil doesn't work to prevent frizz on its own.

Type
    1c/C/iii

I suggest you buy the book "Curly Like Me" or borrow it from a library. The author has a similar hair type to you and the book is full of strategies for taking the best care of curly hair types and especially about keeping it moisturised.
    Amo, amas, amat, amodimethicone, ammonium laureth sulphate....I'm feeling the love .

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Curly Girl method! If your hair is porous more moisture (water) is not necessarily the solution, hair may need more emollients (fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants), hydrolysed protein and/ or penetrating oils like coconut for elasticity and reduced porosity.

For your canopy: conditioner only washing, piles of a leave in conditioner rich in fatty alcohols when dripping wet, protect your hair from the sun as much as possible. For daily conditioning if still required: don't spritz that can cause frizz for some people, smooth anything you apply on.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

i agree! the curly girl method could probably help you.

Length
    17/42/30

I should have mentioned this but I've been usng the CG method and sleeping caps for four years now. Pehaps my hair has issues with porosity. In fact I'm sure it does and I'd better look into that. As well as co-washing more frequently. (Every 2 days I suppose).

Thanks for the input everyone!