Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to wear long hair while job hunting and doing interviews

Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default How to wear long hair while job hunting and doing interviews

I recently quit my job and am back on the hunt for a new one.

Before LHC, I would flat iron my hair and do a half updo while job hunting. I dont own a flat iron any more and my hair is usually in its natural form which is "wild waves".

My hair is APL, and the only updo I know are

a.Messy bun
    b. low pony
    c.high pony

I am wondering if I should just blowdry my hair straight and wear it down.

It seems like wavy hair isn't seen as professional enough for job hunting. People may just think it is messy.

My question is what do you do to your hair when you nee to look professional enough for job hunting?

How do you make wavy hair look professional?

Length
    16"/21"/Thigh
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Re: How to wear long hair while job hunting and doing interviews

I think there may be a societal bias against wavy/curly hair.. I personally think it's beautiful! You could use products to enhance your waves (such as gel) to make them look defined, or you could try a Gibson Tuck or a french twist.

In the end, probably the best thing is to do whatever will make you feel most at ease and comfortable while you're job hunting, so that you're not nervous and let your true self shine through.

Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

I usually do either a low pony or a low, neat bun. High ponytails are a bit casual - I love them, but it can be a bit too "cheerleader" for a job interview. For me, the main objective is to keep it neat and out of my face. If you have wispies, try a bit of AVG to keep them down. Good luck!

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I would just wear it in a bun. That's what I usually do. I think the most important thing is to keep up out of your face.

Length
    shldr/waist/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I think french twists are very sleek and a graceful while still being professional. Here's one of the better tutorials on youtube for the APL method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72UfM...eature=related You can secure them with a flexi-8, a ficarre, a stick, or even a few small claw clips.
    01/07/2010, now at waist length (30").
    I'm a work in progress.

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by andrea1982 View Post
    In the end, probably the best thing is to do whatever will make you feel most at ease and comfortable while you're job hunting, so that you're not nervous and let your true self shine through.

These are wise words.

I also think that as LHCers we focus a lot more on hair than other people might do. As long as you look clean, coordinated and neatly put together, and are at ease (as much as that is possible in a job interview!), they will probably not even notice much what you have done with your hair. Same goes for outfit and accessories, I would say.

Most of all though: good luck with your job hunt! I hope you find something you will be happy with.

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I hear you. I am a flute teacher and every so often have to conduct performances. I feel my wavy hair is too "messy" looking and I always feel the need to put it up. I find the twist good. I twist my hair as if I'm putting it in a bun, then I wind it around the bottom, then change direction and clip it like a "tails up". I find it looks very neat for more formal occasions - interviews incuded.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by rogue_psyche View Post
    I think french twists are very sleek and a graceful while still being professional. Here's one of the better tutorials on youtube for the APL method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72UfM...eature=related You can secure them with a flexi-8, a ficarre, a stick, or even a few small claw clips.
    French twists worked really well for me at your length, and my hair is SUPER messy. One thing that really has helped me if I want my hair to look tidy(-ier) is to plan for the updo day to be a 'dirty' day. Then I can use a bit of hair gel or mousse to smooth the updo tidy, as well as misting. I usually mix gel with a bit of leave-in.

I do think there is a prejudice against wavy hair in its natural state, but many of us also have to learn (as I have) just how much extra moisture vs. washing our hair needs. Not always easy!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    6/17/40
    Type
    2a/2b/M/i/ii

I really think a sock bun is neat, elegant and professional looking. There's also something about a sock bun which stops it from being too serious looking.

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

I'd just do a neat bun. French twists are good, too, but I could never get the hang of them myself.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB