Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tangled waves

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Tangled waves

Ok so my hair is finnally better (back to its thick self this wash!!!!YAYAYAY!!!!!, so strange still...) But i now need to know, with my thickness comes tangles and the waves dont help. Does anyone know any way to prevent hair from tangleing 5 mins after combing and brushing out, (the original combing takes about 15-30 mins so i do not want to do this 5 times a day).
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

Length
    ~20in/mb/wl/MTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/iii

Default Re: Tangled waves

I have this same problem. My hair is 3c/4a so it's VERY curly (and that's an understatement!). So far, the thing that helps the most is detangling my hair in sections and once I detangle one section it immediately gets braided before I move on to detangling the next section so that it doesn't have the time to shrink up and re-tangle itself. I leave them in until my hair is fully dry. Usually I end up with 6-8 braids depending on my mood and method of sectioning the hair. Since you say your hair is wavy the braids should add body if anything to your texture and not mess it up. You can also try two-stranded twists (rope braids) if you want ringlets rather than waves.

If anyone else knows any better methods please share as you can never have too many hints in your detangling arsenal. HAPPY HOLIDAYS btw!!!
    Pssst...Shrinkage is the devil. Don't look it in the eye or make any sudden movements.
    Lady Talma of the Hallowed Cauldron in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I detangle in sections but i never thought of braiding the hair as i go until i am done, that is a great idea! Thanks! Also, i neeed some sort of long term detangling method, one where my hair stays without tangles for most of the day, my hair gets so tangly..i hate it. But it is too thick to wear up without major headaches...any suggestions for non headache styles to wear my hair up with? Happy holidays also!

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Talma View Post
    I have this same problem. My hair is 3c/4a so it's VERY curly (and that's an understatement!). So far, the thing that helps the most is detangling my hair in sections and once I detangle one section it immediately gets braided before I move on to detangling the next section so that it doesn't have the time to shrink up and re-tangle itself. I leave them in until my hair is fully dry. Usually I end up with 6-8 braids depending on my mood and method of sectioning the hair. Since you say your hair is wavy the braids should add body if anything to your texture and not mess it up. You can also try two-stranded twists (rope braids) if you want ringlets rather than waves.

If anyone else knows any better methods please share as you can never have too many hints in your detangling arsenal. HAPPY HOLIDAYS btw!!!
    Thanks for the tips, i will surely try them!

Type
    2b/M/iii

Hollyfire 3, here's a lace twist video you might like to try:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

It distributes the weight of your hair around your head and is very comfortable.

As far as your tangle situation is concerned, if you don't want to be constantly bothered by them, then the solution is to wear your hair up.

If you section it when creating hairstyles, you'll find it much more comfortable to wear.

If updos aren't an option for you, then braiding might help keep those strands tangle free.

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Does your hair tangle in a particular spot? Mine always tangles on the very underneath layer that rubs on my back. Madora actually suggested braiding that little bit, and leaving it, so that it couldn't tangle. Havent tried it yet, but its worth a shot

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I've used a spray in detangler on my hair after I comb then smooth my hand over it. I don't have naturally curly hair mine is a perm.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kelikea View Post
    Does your hair tangle in a particular spot? Mine always tangles on the very underneath layer that rubs on my back. Madora actually suggested braiding that little bit, and leaving it, so that it couldn't tangle. Havent tried it yet, but its worth a shot

My hair tangles all over and the worst is the underneath layer. I am going to try dividing my updos. Honestly, i wish i would follow the tutorials better because i just get confused with them. I am gonna try the braid and see if it helps...thanks for the tips guys! any other suggestions from anyone?

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    Hollyfire 3, here's a lace twist video you might like to try:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

It distributes the weight of your hair around your head and is very comfortable.

As far as your tangle situation is concerned, if you don't want to be constantly bothered by them, then the solution is to wear your hair up.

If you section it when creating hairstyles, you'll find it much more comfortable to wear.

If updos aren't an option for you, then braiding might help keep those strands tangle free.

Oh wow, thankd Madora, that hairstyle is beautiful! It might take a while to learn to do it without tangles though....I am gonna try to wear my hair up more often, but most buns call for a hair tie to start them, this results in a headache from the updo. Can you do buns without a pontail first?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Try using the barest minimum - drops of mineral oil -as a leave-in detangler. It should lubricate your hair enough not to have it tangle repeatedly. The key is minimal use and it should not weigh the hair down or make it appear greasy. It stays on the surface of the hair. Use it on damp hair. It should wash out of the hair very easily used this way. It is working very well for friends of mine.