Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Share Your Nightmare~Salon~Trip Stories Here!!!

Default Re: Share Your Nightmare~Salon~Trip Stories Here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjk View Post
    I've had no negative experiences since going long. But when I wore a short cut, I had quite a few questionable moments at he barbershop.

One barber cut a very good pompadour. Very skillful. The problem was that it was the only haircut he would administer on me. And his goal was for my bangs to be long. There was a running joke in my family that I was going to get my hair not cut.

No matter what he was told, I would walk out with an increasingly long pompadour. The bangs exceeded 11" at one point and went past my chin...after being told I wanted a short cut for summer.

When I changed to a flattop I discovered barber bouncing. An interesting experience. Giving each the same instructions, I would walk out of different shops with wildly different cuts. My least favorite was one which tapered outwards, similar to Kim Jong Un. Extra short and very precisely administered, it was an extremely good cut but very unflattering. My head looked like an upside down triangle.

My second worst was a flattop administered by an elderly barber who messed up in two different ways. First, the deck was not level. It was tilted, sideways, enough to be easily noticeable. And when I got into daylight I noticed that the deck was not flat, either...it looked like he had taken scoops out of the hair. Possibly my worst flat, ever.

Happily I was a good enough barber to fix it. It was super short and not ideally flat, but it looked good when I was done. It needed to be entirely resculpted.

It's a good thing I always enjoyed the barbershop, or I would have gone to self styling years earlier.
    I’m in awe whenever I see a good flattop, because of the precision of the cut but also the precision of the styling, not a hair out of place. I find myself just staring

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

There's been so many threads on this so far, and I have told this story, consequently, a million times.

When I was about to graduate it was 1989-1990 and I was going for a nice cut for graduation. I had BSL hair at the time. I got a student (but they didn't tell me), and she layered up my hair, I hadn't asked that of her, like a typical 80s cut, including the bangs, while I asked for a bit off, but a blunt cut with sort of one layer (opgeknipt as they call it here (Dutch word for a tiny bit layered just at the very bottom)). Maybe she misunderstood, I don't see how, but I had to call the manager. She fixed it into a blunt cut, into a between ear / chin length bob, more ear than anything else, with bangs that were übershort (half the forehead or thereabouts).

When my mom came and picked me up from this appointment - I still remember her expression vividly, nothing but shock. And I was about to graduate!!!

Yeah. That happened. I had been cutting my hair since age 15, but wanted a nice "treat"; boy did that turn out differently than I'd hoped.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ShgLp/Bcl/term?
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Me and my mom went to hairdresser every year because my hair "is too heavy and I shed too much, I may go bald". My mom went every year to hairdresser more than 30 years in a row. I - 23. I swear I learned from lhc about my hair in a year th in a half a year more than a hairdresser learns about hair in a lifetime experience. I barely heard there's hair mask. How does that bottle look? No knowledge no answer nothing. The first time I ever heard of conditioner, oil and leave-ins is the first time I found lhc. In a half a year I have so much knowledge about hair in general I could write an encyclopedia. My mom has 3b curly hair but she blow dries it, combs it with a styling comb for bangs and chemically dyes it. How in God's name the hairstylist still dyes her 3 curls left on her whole head is beyond me. She keeps her hair in a short curly pixie and it look voluminous but her ponytail circ. is definitely beyond 2"! Hell I'll stop. Too much words to describe how horrible and unnatural are those "natural looks". Modern people don't know the difference between true natural state of hair and natural "look". I mean it "looks" like this, but it's not!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    I’m in awe whenever I see a good flattop, because of the precision of the cut but also the precision of the styling, not a hair out of place. I find myself just staring
    I know, right? It's one of the things that appealed to me! And if you've ever petted a flat, the transition between the stubble and the velvet is...intoxicating.

The reason I switched hairdos was unfortunate. It was after medication caused a bald spot. The landing strip hid the bald spot in plain sight.

My hair grew back afterwards but the texture and density had changed. Still good but not like it once was.

Length
    27/39/45+
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I don't believe I have ever gone to a hair salon in my life - my mother has always trimmed/cut my hair, and the only time I was given an opportunity to go, I refused - but my mom went a few times to get 'a style', as she called it. She used to keep a long-ish pixie, and was constantly told her hair was too short to do anything with, and consequently usually only got a trim into a 'style' she didn't like. I have no real stories, but I remember her complaining once that they got the sides cut unevenly somehow. It did look strange until she evened them out herself, but I still wonder how they could mess up on such short hair.

She's been cutting her own hair for years now.

Account Closed by Member Request

Some stories here don’t sound too horrible. I mean they’re bad enough but you should read some of the stories on YouTube! Stories that made me cringe and some even made me cry! I don’t mean to minimize anyone’s experiences here though. They are not pleasant, that’s for sure. Nobody wants to have someone do something to their hair, that they didn’t ask for or approve. I found sometimes in the past with hairdressers, the more I explained, the more they seemed to get it wrong. Lol. You would think it would be the oppposite.

I have a friend whose hair fell out at a salon from getting a perm....not all of it but most of it. She was absolutely devastated and I had to comfort and support her for weeks. It was awful.

I have another friend who had her hair bleached years ago but the hairstylist was busy running back and forth from client to client. She just had way too much going on and couldn’t keep up. The bleach was left on far too long and her hair was like straw when it finally got rinsed off. It didn’t fall out but it was a step away and she had so much breakage over the following weeks, that she ended up getting a short pixie cut because the damage was too great. Before this happened, her hair was to the middle of her back. I felt so bad for her. The thing too, is they made her sign some type of waiver beforehand, so she couldn’t sue her. I think she would have.

Length
    12/15/24-25
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

About ten years ago, I went to my hairdresser whom I'd been going to for a few years. For context, the first time I went to see him he cut my hair into a long bob and I had been growing it out since. He was a good hairdresser but for some reason that day he was visibly exasperated. My hair was between BSL and Waist length and I told him that I just wanted a trim/dusting. He yanked through my hair with a brunch (i'm a curly so this was truly horrible) and tried to convince me to go short since it was summer and he thought i'd be warm (eyeroll). He didn't mess up my hair or anything other than being unnecessarily rough (in my opinion) but he made me feel ashamed for having long hair. He didn't want to style it, he wanted to put some product in it and send me out the door because he said it would take a long time to blow out (it wasn't even THAT long).

Earlier this year I cut my hair up above my collar bone but before then I would still have a little anxiety going into any hair appointment because I didn't want my hair to be a nuisance to my hairdresser. I'd also feel guilty and way over tip even if my service was subpar.

One of my goals is to be able to trim my own hair eventually! But right now it's still a little too short so I'm going to wait until it's around APL which will probably be in 2-3 months.

That girl with the hair The-Young-Maid's Avatar
    Length
    ./FTL+/KNEE
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

2013. I hadn't trimmed my hair in about 2 years. I was classic length. I'd been going to the same hairdresser since I was little. I asked for 2 inches but my mom and the hairdresser had decided to take off more without telling me. I lost a good 6 inches maybe more idk but I was lower back/waist again. She criticized my hair while cutting. I cried for a day. Mom was annoyed and told me its just hair. I never went back. I've been making my mom trim it at home ever since. I now experience anxiety when I get a trim and I still harbor resentment toward everyone involved.
    Why can't hairdressers do what they're told? I'm paying and the hair is attached to my head. I have to see it everyday not you.
    No Trim 2019/20/21 . Use It Up 2019/20/21 . Daily wash w/Sulfates and Cones. Coconut oil . CL 2019-FTL 2020-KNEE 2021

Length
    5/5/30
    Type
    4c/F/i/ii

I personally haven't had a bad experience but I do know of a friend very pretty lady with very thick long hair. She went to an african braid shop to get her roots done. She had a perm which is an extremely damaging process to straighten out curly hair like 4c hair but her hair was very long, past her butt and I suspect it was because since her was sooo thick. She could literally lose half her head and it would still look like so much hair. So basically the African lady left the relaxer on her hair way to long... her head was burning but she was to shy to actually say anything. Just to let you guys know.. relaxers has lye in so all of her hair literally fell out from the root. She had burns and everything. She made this whole video. It creeped me out so much. and the sad part is it burned her head so bad. She can't grow it back. It is all gone and I am still wondering why she didn't file a law suit against that african lady.

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by kph12 View Post
    About ten years ago, I went to my hairdresser whom I'd been going to for a few years. For context, the first time I went to see him he cut my hair into a long bob and I had been growing it out since. He was a good hairdresser but for some reason that day he was visibly exasperated. My hair was between BSL and Waist length and I told him that I just wanted a trim/dusting. He yanked through my hair with a brunch (i'm a curly so this was truly horrible) and tried to convince me to go short since it was summer and he thought i'd be warm (eyeroll). He didn't mess up my hair or anything other than being unnecessarily rough (in my opinion) but he made me feel ashamed for having long hair. He didn't want to style it, he wanted to put some product in it and send me out the door because he said it would take a long time to blow out (it wasn't even THAT long).

Earlier this year I cut my hair up above my collar bone but before then I would still have a little anxiety going into any hair appointment because I didn't want my hair to be a nuisance to my hairdresser. I'd also feel guilty and way over tip even if my service was subpar.

One of my goals is to be able to trim my own hair eventually! But right now it's still a little too short so I'm going to wait until it's around APL which will probably be in 2-3 months.
    Wow! Just wow! I’m absolutely flabbergasted at how he treated you...saying it would take too long to blow out and sending you out the door! Man, the things I would have said to that guy, if that were me!

Don’t let anyone ever shame you for wanting long hair. I honestly don’t know who these people think they are but they know NOTHING about good customer service or even common courtesy.