Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silk Sleep Caps/Bonnets

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Silk Sleep Caps/Bonnets

Unfortunately, the elastic broke in my adorabellababy silk bonnet. The seller was very sweet and offered to fix it for me. But I can't bear the thought of standing close to an hour at the post office here just to send it back. Will just have to get it fixed locally. Unfortunately for me, the satin bonnet i purchased at Walmart isn't half as good as the silk. I'm waking up with frizzy hair. And even though I've washed it a few times now, it's retaining whatever smell my hair has.

So, I started searching for other silk bonnets and came across this on ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Mulberr....c100677.m4598

They have quite a few sleep caps for sale at very low prices, all mulberry silk. I sent a message asking if the inside has the same satin finish as the outside, and am waiting for a response.
    In the meantime, has anyone heard of, or bought from this seller? The price seems almost too good to be true..

Be the voice for those that can't speak...

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Silk Sleep Caps/Bonnets

Im looking at related listings. This item looks mass produced and cheap and to be honest, will probably be the same quality.
    I would stay off ebay for this and head over to etsy.

---APL----BSL---WL---HIP---TBL---
    Lady Nott, Horse Mistress of the Witching Hour in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccalaurenxx View Post
    Im looking at related listings. This item looks mass produced and cheap and to be honest, will probably be the same quality.
    I would stay off ebay for this and head over to etsy.
    Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. Still, it can't be any worse than the satin bonnet I got from Walmart.

I did originally head over to etsy and purchased the silk AdoraBellababy bonnet. But the elastic broke. I was hoping not to spend another 40 something bucks on one..

Length
    MBL/Waist/Long
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Oh my, I've had my Adorabellababy sleep cap for almost four years now! How unfortunate! There are cheaper Etsy options as well - also check Amazon. If satin would be acceptable, that would ve cheaper.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by nycelle View Post
    Unfortunately, the elastic broke in my adorabellababy silk bonnet. The seller was very sweet and offered to fix it for me. But I can't bear the thought of standing close to an hour at the post office here just to send it back. Will just have to get it fixed locally. Unfortunately for me, the satin bonnet i purchased at Walmart isn't half as good as the silk. I'm waking up with frizzy hair. And even though I've washed it a few times now, it's retaining whatever smell my hair has.

So, I started searching for other silk bonnets and came across this on ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Mulberr....c100677.m4598

They have quite a few sleep caps for sale at very low prices, all mulberry silk. I sent a message asking if the inside has the same satin finish as the outside, and am waiting for a response.
    In the meantime, has anyone heard of, or bought from this seller? The price seems almost too good to be true..
    Can't you just put in some fresh, new elastic? I did, with my Adorabellababy bonnet when it wore out, it's easy to do.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    Can't you just put in some fresh, new elastic? I did, with my Adorabellababy bonnet when it wore out, it's easy to do.
    I know it should be easy.. I know.. and yet, I have no idea how to do it. Also, Where would I get the elastic?

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

A sewing supplies shop, or maybe a grocery store? My local store sells it. I just took the elastic out (it's attached to the ribbons), cut it off the ribbons, measured my head circumference, cut a fresh piece of elastic about six inches less than my head circumference, then sewed each end of the elastic onto the end of one of the ribbons, and re-threaded it through the casing of the bonnet. Easy, cheap - done
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by nycelle View Post
    I know it should be easy.. I know.. and yet, I have no idea how to do it. Also, Where would I get the elastic?
    Any craft store should have elastic, though a wider selection will be at a fabric store.

Cut the threads out of about an inch of the seam on the edge of the casing (the channel holding the elastic), pull out a section of elastic and carefully holding it, cut through it. Hole one end out of the way and pin the other end with a safety pin to the end of your new elastic. Pull the loose end of the elastic. You will be pulling the old elastic out and the new elastic in at the same time. Sometimes, if the elastic is really shot it will be sticky and hard to pull. Take your time. Once you get the old out and new in use the safety pin to pin the two ends together where you think it will fit, test it, adjust if necessary until you have the right size, then stitch the two pieces together and trim the excess. Tuck it inside the casing and sew the opening closed.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    waist/clsc/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Those don't look like they have satin on the inside. If you look closely at the pointy bits on the pink and dark blue ones, you can see the inside, it's not shiny.

If you really don't have the skills to replace the elastic yourself it's a very quick sewing job; if you know someone who sews it's a small favor to ask, and if you don't you can probably get an alterations place to fix it for less than the cost of a cheap replacement bonnet.
    Lady Ilium, Spellweaver and Technomancer in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    1c/2a,M,ii. Maintaining at classic for now.

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Thanks everyone.

And yeah, I have no skills to do this. I can follow directions but I would probably screw up the material (rip or something.)

We have tailors in most dry cleaning shops here, so I'll just have them insert a new elastic band.

Thanks again.

@Robot Ninja I couldn't tell with the picture I saw. They showed the inside of a brown bonnet and the way it was taken, I couldn't tell. But, they never responded so that's telling in itself.