Thread: Natural oils vs. natural butters?

Default Natural oils vs. natural butters?

Is there some difference between these two? Are butters stickier, harder to wash out and leaves the hair easier greasy? That would be awesome now when not even oils usually condition my hair efficiently enough... It sure might be the way I use it. I use oils as prepoo, mixed with shampoo and as rinse-out-oil. Usually not as a leave in into wet hair after wash, because I want to see the result from those treatments I mentioned, and I can't imagine washing and conditioning my hair without oils, so that I just add a little bit after wash, because that probably wouldn't be moisturizing enough for my hair type and length and would be a mess.
    So, I'd love to hear answers to the question in title I mean butters like cocoa or shea butter as a ROO treatment (melting first). And I'm happy to hear about some butters I don't even know yet... Beeswax?...
    Last edited by Priska; September 18th, 2024 at 03:35 PM.

Default Re: Natural oils vs. natural butters?

All right I tried heated cocoa butter mixed with shampoo + cocoa butter ROO treatment and yes this left my hair better conditioned. It's shiny, heavier and feels cooler than normally, and yes my hair is also a little greasier but very little. And on ends this is not a problem because usually my ends turn back dry again just themselves. My roots are not greasy because I didn't put cocoa butter there. And with corn starch greasiness is never a real problem... I'm just happy my hair is not dry and frizzy at the moment.
    Last edited by Priska; September 19th, 2024 at 11:26 PM.

Length
    BSL/WAIST/HIP
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Priska View Post
    All right I tried heated cocoa butter mixed with shampoo + cocoa butter ROO treatment and yes this left my hair better conditioned. It's shiny, heavier and feels cooler than normally, and yes my hair is also a little greasier but very little. And on ends this is not a problem because usually my ends turn back dry again just themselves. My roots are not greasy because I didn't put cocoa butter there. And with corn starch greasiness is never a real problem... I'm just happy my hair is not dry and frizzy at the moment
    I use babassu oil and cocoa butter (both solid at room temperature) as leave in oils on the middle and end lengths of my hair after washing, and a tiny amount most evenings after brushing. I am very happy with the conditioning effect and shine.
    But I live in a sub-tropical area where it never gets properly cold, perhaps you may have trouble with them solidifying in your hair where you live in winter?
    I don't use them as additions to shampoo or ROO treatments, though, so I can't say regarding these if they would work well.
    I feel like the 'butter' type oils make richer conditioners than the lighter liquid oils in my experience.
    Oh, and don't forget to clarify regularly to get the best effect from the oil treatments.

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Butters are excellent for low porosity hair since they - like coconut oil- contain saturated fatty acids.
    I love shea butter , didn't try others but I'm curious about mango. Usually blending butters with lighter oils such as jojoba or sunflower oil makes it easier to apply and wash off.
    We have a wonderful recipe somewhere here for Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream - 2 parts shea, 1 part coconut or jojoba oil and 2 parts conditioner. Fantastic thing
    Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.

Lady Sheala the Conjurer of the Empress Tree in the Order of Long Haired Knights

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Butters are usually saturated fats, oils are usually unsaturated fats. There are some molecular differences that effect if they penetrate or just sit on top of the hair shaft. Butters can definitely buildup easy and you have to use them a lot more sparingly, but I really like them, especially for the ends. It feels like they leave a "protective coating." You may have to clarify more often, and make sure to get moisture in there first. Butters can seal moisture out. Also, just want to add that both oils and butters are not "moisturizing," that is a common misconception. They are hydrophobic lipids, i.e. they repeal water. They are typically occulsive, and sometimes emollients. Because they are hypdrophbic, they seal moisture in the hair, but that moisture has to be added with water and things like humectants first. Adding oil/butters to dry hair could make it worse. If your hair likes pretty heavy, rich ingredients butters could be a good choice.

Thank you all so much! More answers are still welcome too!

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Priska View Post
    Thank you all so much! More answers are still welcome too!
    For it its an oil every time for I find they wash out fairly easily. I've had good results with almond oil in the past.

Length
    BSL/CL/KL
    Type
    4b/4c/M/C/iii

I've only used Shea butter and i wouldn't say it makes hair feel greasier. It seems like it sinks in pretty well and what's left leaves a coating that doesn't really feel greasy or sticky to me. (Then again, I use a lot of oils in my routine so it might just not feel greasy by comparison.) The reason it sinks into my hair might be that it's high in saturated fat, as others have mentioned. I will say that if you use it often and don't wash it out well enough, it does build up and make your hair feel sticky and waxy over time.
    And I think beeswax is something that is generally used in a very small percentage of an oil/butter mix as too much of it will leave a hard coating on your hair that would be hard to remove. I'm not speaking from personal experience though.
    TBL>CL>MTL>KL
    Onward, Downward, and Outward to Body Swallowing Lengths!!

Thank you so much for answers!