Page 177 of 285 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227277 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 2843

Thread: Catnip for split ends?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Catnip for split ends?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse1 View Post
    I'm not saying you will feel the oils, but that is what is coming out of the catnip when it is heated--that is the same as stewed--pouring hot water over it. it's emitting an oil out of the catnip, which is what makes you feel softness.

I was curious to know what was in catnip to make skin/hair alleged to be so soft. This makes total sense to me as catnip itself is just a mint that makes my kitties very happy.

One thing that works best on mosquitos---unused bounce sheets. Makes me wonder what the heck is in those things in the first place :O
    Catnip does contain oils and pantothenic acid and many other things. I have not determined exactly what or why or how it works the way it does for me and based on reports here, others. I know how it works for me, in terms of the method I need and prefer to use, to get the results I have reported.

And every report on these boards can be said to be alleged, including any of yours, if that is the approach you prefer to take.

I do not doubt reports. I may question methods but that is not the same thing.

As to pictures, admittedly, there can be problems with lighting. That has been and is still addressed in the Honey thread. However, I do not need to see pictures to believe someone's report. That, to me, is not the spirit of this community. Any pictures can be altered. Not going there, either.
    Last edited by ktani; August 16th, 2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: punctuation

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Photos are tricky to show results. However, people's perspectives can make them see things that may not be there. I'm not saying that people's experiences with catnip aren't real, or same with the honey thread, but I've seen some photos that I don't notice a difference. Does that mean there isn't any? I can't say because it isn't my hair.

I was curious to know what was in catnip once boiled or stewed that made it a popular natural choice as a rinse. I found it was popular on the web on many natural sites as alternatives to those who couldn't use conventional conditioner (whether due to allergies or what not). Once I did the search on catnip and what happens when boiled/stewed, I found that it emitted an oil and other substances. I was very interested in the mosquito repellent. That'd be a great discovery to get rid of DEET.
    ~Dare to Dream~

~Lady Aithon of the Fire-Shod Steed in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights~

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse1 View Post
    Photos are tricky to show results. However, people's perspectives can make them see things that may not be there. I'm not saying that people's experiences with catnip aren't real, or same with the honey thread, but I've seen some photos that I don't notice a difference. Does that mean there isn't any? 1. I can't say because it isn't my hair.

2. I was curious to know what was in catnip once boiled or stewed that made it a popular natural choice as a rinse. I found it was popular on the web on many natural sites as alternatives to those who couldn't use conventional conditioner (whether due to allergies or what not). Once I did the search on catnip and what happens when boiled/stewed, I found that it emitted an oil and other substances. I was very interested in the mosquito repellent. 3. That'd be a great discovery to get rid of DEET.
    1. Exactly so. It comes down to the person reporting and what they think. Sometimes they are not sure until they see pictures and even then sometimes not. That usually happens when the results are slight. I tell people to ask others around them IRL, when that happens, to get a different perspective. People around them see the hair in different light, including natural light.

2. I do not think catnip changes when boiled water is applied to it, in terms of the chemistry. Boiled water just draws out the constituents. I have not seen any websites that recommend it as a conditioner but I have not looked recently. 4 years ago I did and found none. People can be allergic to catnip too.

I discovered catnip here but the reference came from a website that said it was good for "growth and shine". People experimented with it briefly here, then the interest declined. No one used it the way I do now. That was developed over 2 years roughly, experiment after experiment.

No one used it to stain hair. I found references on the net for that but not how to do that. No one here used catnip long enough then, to report back about split ends. That was a happy surprise to me. I had no clue that it could do that but it only did that, when I increased the timing and bagged it. It still works best for me, used that way, following shampoo.

I have a huge list of constituents and only realized the possible significance of lauric acid recently. http://www.liberherbarum.com/pn0450.HTM

3. It does not look likely for that, given the source I quoted. I consider them to be very reliable and the information they quote too.
    Last edited by ktani; August 16th, 2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Banned
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

I will be the first to say that catnip did not keep the mosquitos at bay for me.

However, I have not been bitten by any mosquitos on my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    I will be the first to say that catnip did not keep the mosquitos at bay for me.

However, I have not been bitten by any mosquitos on my head.
    LOL, you are a riot!!!!!!!!

Length
    20/33/45
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I'm sorry, I only got through 21 pages of the original thread, so I hope my question hasn't already been answered...have mercy, I'm so sleepy!

Does catnip change anything about the hair that would affect it permanently? I know that henna does, so that if you want to perm over hennaed hair, for example, you're out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    I'm sorry, I only got through 21 pages of the original thread, so I hope my question hasn't already been answered...have mercy, I'm so sleepy!

Does catnip change anything about the hair that would affect it permanently? I know that henna does, so that if you want to perm over hennaed hair, for example, you're out of luck.
    Welcome to LHC!

No worrries or apology necessary. It is a long thread. This may help. The Catnip Article, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=118

No, it does not. It will wash out completely when one stops reapplying it, based on my experience, with how well it washes out with shampoo.
    Last edited by ktani; August 17th, 2009 at 06:42 AM. Reason: added link and text

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Shiva--I hear you. I've been bitten in places mosquitos shouldn't dare venture. However, the study they said, found that it was more effective than DEET. I wonder how that study was conducted.

Stewed would be having boiling water poured over catnip (Dry). That would allow whatever is inside the nip to be opened up, hence the oils and other substances. This is what gets kitties high--I read that it's their saliva that draws out the scent (Which to me, smells like regular tea), and gets them hyper.

I'll find that link about catnip and what is emitted from it.
    ~Dare to Dream~

~Lady Aithon of the Fire-Shod Steed in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights~

Length
    24/29.5/39
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Well I found some Cosmic Catnip at a local pet store and picked up a 1oz tub of it. So far I've done the catnip treatment twice, both in different ways.
    I should note that both times the tea was brewed overnight, sitting for 10+ hours.

The first time I used catnip, I let my length soak in a bowl of it, so that it was completely emersed. I think I did that one for about 30 minutes, and then I rinsed it out. I did notice some smoothness from this treatment, but not a whole lot.

The second time I soaked my hair in the tea, and then I bagged it in a ziploc freezer bag, held on with a claw clip. Some of the tea dripped off my hair and made a little puddle in there, so it was semi soaking all the time as well. This time I left the treatment on for 1 hour. And I chose to not rinse it out. This made my hair feel fantastic! Very soft, very full, and smooth. Even my damaged ends felt normal. I think I am going to continue doing treatments this way. I really like it.

Length
    20./27/40
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I find it amazing something so inexpensive and readily available works so well. My fine/thin hair does not like any sort of conditioning, laying flat and lifeless unless washed daily. And lots of broken hair and split ends. Until I started catnip tea soaks. They have truly changed my hair for the better. Thank you, Ktani, for doing all the research.

To be honest, I tried this as I tried pretty much everything mentioned in these boards! Megatech, shampoo bars, CO, WO, oiling, vinegar rinses, etc. I have found that indian herbs on the scalp and catnip teas soaks on the length make my hair shiny, soft, and full. Hair I am happy with. All thanks to the many wonderful people on this board willing to experiment and post their results. I LOVE this place!
    AKA MotoGirl... August 2014 - WAIST! Four years after growing out from bald due to chemo.