Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone!

Length
    BCL/BCL+/term
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Hello everyone!

Hi all!

I have stumbled upon this forum a while ago and found a lot of useful advice here. After realizing that my hair, nearly TBL now, fully lightened with hair lightening spray, has barely grown in the past two years, but the ends have gotten significantly thinner, I have decided to grow out my virgin hair colour (plus I miss jumping into the sea and swimming underwater, I can't do this often now, because my hair is so fragile ). I admit I can be rather impulsive at times, so I have decided to sign up to get some support, hold myself accountable and reach my goal of having completely virgin hair again.

I have not seen my virgin hair colour in about 4 years, so this should be a fun journey. I used to be blonde as a child and my hair has darkened over the years to a dark blonde colour, it's likely still the same now, but we shall see. I remember always getting light blonde streaks in my hair due to the sun and seawater and I've been thinking these past few days, do any of you with virgin hair protect it from the sun in the summer or do you not mind the streaks if you get any? I tried wearing a hat this year on vacation, but the bun always got in the way. Perhaps I do not have the right size or style of the hat.

Length
    Pixie/TBL/Class
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Hello everyone!

Double post, oops!
    Last edited by Kelp; August 13th, 2024 at 07:36 AM.
    Oh sing me a song of the sea,
    Selkie, siren, sisters thee.

Length
    Pixie/TBL/Class
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Welcome! Fellow sun and sea-loving, almost-TBL hair gal here. My hair was also blonde as a kid but now it's brunette!

I moved to a place with a lot less sun but I usually wear a cap if I'm out on a lake to keep it off my face. I honestly haven't worried much when it comes to my hair, but if I do want to wear a wide-brimmed hat I just need to put my bun as low as possible on my head.

What I can recommend (and maybe you already do it) is braiding and oiling your hair before you get into the ocean, and especially before getting into a pool. The oil will help create a barrier from chemicals and drying salt. If oil is a bit too much for you, I've also heard that folks will pre-soak their hair with clean water, the logic being that the hair can't soak up any dirty water because it is already full. Treat it to a nice heavy conditioning right after!
    Oh sing me a song of the sea,
    Selkie, siren, sisters thee.

Length
    BCL/BCL+/term
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Thank you Kelp! I have not thought of oiling and braiding my hair, I have mostly kept it in a bun in order not to wet it, and only allowed it to get wet on wash day if possible, but the oiled braid idea is much better, I will have to take a mental note of that for the future.

Length
    APL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    3a/M/ii

For staying outside in the sun, I also can recommend a strong leave in conditioner or even conditioner on the ends. If you don't have any oil at hand, go for lotion with SPF. I have super dry, curly hair and when the sun is strong and I can't put my hair in a bun or stay more in the shadows, I scrunch in some sun cream. Worked wonders this year.

If you go into the ocean, I would use only natural oils or anything ocean friendly. <3

Length
    BCL/BCL+/term
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Mira Lynne thanks for the tips! Does the conditioner not need to be washed out after being applied? Or do you wash it out after coming back inside?

I haven't experimented a lot with natural oils, but so far I like them.

Fiorentina A. Canaretti Fiorentina's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/HL/Class
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Welcome
    A nice​ bun makes the day.

Length
    APL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    3a/M/ii

You are very welcome.
    We just rinsed it out afterwards. Was the best hair quality I ever had back then. My mom analysed hair under the microscope back then so, we had some stong evidence that it helped. The cuticle layer of my hair was fully intact right till my very ends.

Length
    BCL/BCL+/term
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Thank you Fiorentina!

That is very interesting Mira Lynne, thank you for sharing this info with me!

welcome here, and also nice to meet you ! i m new too ! i love your blonde hair color !!!