Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair Analysis on Hennaed Hair

Length
    18"/18"/26"

Default Hair Analysis on Hennaed Hair

Hi There

I am just wandering if anyone had sent a sample of their hair off for analysis?

I have read so many different takes on henna and mercury/salts/metals... (not bothered so much by this as I believe it would be minimal)

but...

That is all my question is really...

Have you had your hair analysed on hennaed hair?

Length
    22"/29"/37"
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Re: Hair Analysis on Hennaed Hair

Yes, I have had the Goosefootprints analysis on my henna (actually hendigo) hair. What would you like to know?

I feel the analysis was well worth it - I learned a lot, and was surprised at some of the information. Also Wendy is wonderful at answering questions about her findings and helping me tweek my hair regime. I have since bought my own microscope to further study the differences in the henna and natural parts of my hair (I am growing out the dye to my natural grey), plus to observe for myself things like how damaged my cuticles are, what effect different conditioners have, etc.

But her analysis is strictly for condition and care, it is not a chemical analysis of hair in regards to health issues, if that is what you are looking for.
    Last edited by serin blackwood; May 6th, 2014 at 09:09 PM.

Length
    18"/18"/26"

Hi serin blackwood

Thank you so much for your detailed answer.

For me, well... I will be doing both now, health analysis etc (which I now know the hair needs to be pulled from the root) and, I will now try and find a 'Goosefootprints' here in london/uk for general hair health. What a great idea!

It is truly fascinating, hair cuticles and how and what we've done to our hair changes it....

Once again, Thank You!!!

I think I might go and buy a little microscope now got a telescope.... but I guess I'd have to hold my hair strands up on the moon for that!

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Did the henna hair have a smoother cuticle or anything that shows the benefits that people discuss? I am so interested in what henna can do for hair but want to learn more before trying it.
    Cut hair 11.06.2013 to CBL. Patiently waiting for it to grow back strong and healthy.
    Photo taken 12.04.2013

Length
    18"/18"/26"

Quote Originally Posted by ErinLeigh View Post
    Did the henna hair have a smoother cuticle or anything that shows the benefits that people discuss? I am so interested in what henna can do for hair but want to learn more before trying it.
    Hi ErinLeigh

I just had a wander through some google images of hennaed hair under the microscope and found a page called southlandsoap and they have piccies of different hair cuticles after different treatments not sure if the link will work but I'll try http://www.southlandsoap.com/your-ha...icroscope.html

Length
    22"/29"/37"
    Type
    1a/F/i

Goosefootprints is an online Etsy business :

http://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/GoosefootPrints

And the proprietor, Wendy S. also writes the "Science-y Hairblog". Highly recommended reading!

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca

Interestingly, her theory is that henna in hair causes a non-smooth texture and contributes to friction, which causes cuticle damage, hence porosity (though still a better choice than chemical dyes). Also, the "gritty-ness" of a henna treatment washing through ones hair, plus the length of time your hair needs to be wet also contributes to damage. Since my hair seems to damage easily and my primary goal is long length, and not color, I have stopped hennaeing because I feel that it may be doing more harm than good.
    Last edited by serin blackwood; May 7th, 2014 at 04:21 PM.

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Appreciate for the links and reply very much. Very interesting. I am going to read them now.
    Thanks again!!
    Cut hair 11.06.2013 to CBL. Patiently waiting for it to grow back strong and healthy.
    Photo taken 12.04.2013

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Awesome thread! Thanks so much for the pictures of dyed/hennaed hair under microscope, Wing-Chun-Bec.
    And I love Science-y Hair Blog, too!

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Wow this is really cool.
    I've been thinking of having my hair analyzed actually, since I can't seem to figure out exactly what ingredients I should avoid or what I need more of in my products. I am very happy using henna and indigo, though. My hair is sooo shiny no matter what since I started using henna, whereas before it was kind of mousy and dull.

Length
    18"/18"/26"

Thank you serin blackwood for the Science-y Hair Blog, that's a really interesting read, have bookmarked the recipes to protein or henna? protein vs henna? (I think there is a thread on that too on TLHC).... I do love my hennaed hair atm, it certainly has made it healthier and soft and shiny and a lovely sparkly red I do have cassia obovata (sp?) to use too... I'm most def on a learning curve here I do have one of those LED magnifying lenses... think when I can I'll see if it's strong enough

Hi ErinLeigh, I think you are doing the right thing by getting all the info you can, your hair looks very beautiful in your pic and very healthy...maybe goosefootprints will also help you in your info quest for your own hair condition

Hi meteor, I think we should all invest in a little microscope and post those pics...

Hiyas bunnylake, I am considering the full health check one, but in the mean time, the one offered by goosefootprints is very interesting as a start.

Truly lovely to meet you all btw and my name is Bec... I just couldn't think of a magical user name lol and wing chun is the martial art I study, I'll change it when I get permission to do so I'm sure

Peace to you all