Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: advice needed

Default advice needed

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by cat-lady; January 26th, 2015 at 10:41 AM.

On the hunt for terminal. SerinaDaith's Avatar
    Colorado is my physical home but I spend a lot of time in my mind. It's safer that way.
    Length
    .5 in/.5 in/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Default Re: advice needed

Stretching washes might help a little, it's tough, I always thought I had to wash every day but I really don't. Your hair is longer than mine and I post all the time, just because we are the long hair community does not mean you have to have super longhair to use your voice here! Hair up check, less heat may help but that's an individual thing, trimming less and focusing on S&D may help too.
    Lady Seredhiel in the Order of the Longhaired Knights. Current body mark: BSL+, Goal length, terminal.No trims in 2013. Henna head. Crazy craft guru.Crunchy Mommy.

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Try coconut oil treatments overnight. Since your hair is so fine, you will only need a pea-sized amount or even a tad smaller, for the length and ends of your hair. Definitely leave it in as long as possible. It will help prevent damage and split ends.

How do you detangle? It's preferable to use a wide tooth comb very gently on dry hair. Never wet.
    Do you rub it vigorously with a towel to dry it? Don't do that, dry it gently by scrunching with a microfiber towel or a smooth fabric like a t shirt.
    When you get trims, ask for a "micro trim" that will remove less than 1/2 an inch and be very clear about not having more than that cut. Sometimes stylists will trim much more than it actually needed. You can also learn to self trim or find the split ends and trim only those.

Length
    SL/47ftp/?full
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Welcome to the forum! No one minds people with shorter hair posting! Even is here to teach and learn about hair. There are people here who post about growing out from buzzcuts!

What are "hair bobbles"? If they are a sort of hair tie, it might be better for you to switch to super-smooth hairsticks.

Your hair gets greasy quickly in part because you do wash so frequently. Your scalp making lots more sebum (hair and skin oil) to compensate for all that is being stripped out when you wash. Many people here have had success applying a tiny bit of oil to damp hair and leaving it in, which can make your hairs stronger.

If your hair is so very fine, stop using heat completely. Heat protectants may help a little, but they are not perfect. Also, if you are using chemicals to dye your hair now (as opposed to henna, cassia, and indigo), then know that those generally damage hair as well.

With your hemline so even, it is unlikely you have reached your terminal length. If you see a split end, trim that one hair, not all of your hairs. We call this technique Search and Destroy (S&D), because we hunt down and only remove the splits, not the good ends. If you do not want fairytale ends, do just S&D every six weeks, then take off your millimeter or two ever few months. Also, be sure to actually measure what you are cutting! I would guess that you are trimming off all your growth.
    Shoulder-length (pre-LHC) | Fingertip | Fingertip or longer and less taper
    Virgin hair all my life...because I am lazy.

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Something I forgot: You should only use shampoo on your scalp only. If you're scrubbing and shampooing the entire length of your hair, that will cause it to dry out, tangle, split and break. It's a very common mistake. I'm amazed at how many women shampoo their hair incorrectly! Use just enough shampoo to build up the lather needed to massage your scalp with, preferably a sulfate-free shampoo because they are gentler. As you rinse, the excess shampoo in the run off will clean the length of your hair more than enough. Use conditioner on the hair from your ears down only, because conditioner applied too close to the scalp could weigh the hair down and make it greasy faster. Use a deep conditioning treatment once a week or so.
    Try a dry shampoo in between wash days. The one that seems to be most popular is Batiste.

Length
    MB/Waist/??
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I have really fine hair (but a pretty good amount of it) and it used to get really greasy if I didn't wash every day. Over the past couple of years I've slowly stretched out my washes to every 4 days and now starting into every 5 days. It's a pain at first to stretch washes, but it's SO worth it in the end. My goal is to get to one week between washes. I've learned how to wear a scarf around my head to hide the greasies right before wash day so no one can even tell. Also, I agree with the don't wash the length advice. Gentle scalp wash only and the suds will travel down the length while you wash it all out.
    Currently at waist... and still growing!

Length
    5/?/?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I think if you have fine hair you should avoid heat styling like the plague. I know there are products you can use to make heat styling "better" but in the end the heat will damage your hair, and if your hair is fine and maybe a bit delicate to begin with I just can't imagine it going well.

I was unable to grow my hair longer than BSL up until around the time I joined LHC. I thought that was terminal for me, but I changed a few things as I got really keen on growing it and it worked. First off I stopped balling my hair on top of my head when I washed it and just washed the scalp, like other people have said as well. Then I got my hands on a better brush (Tangle Teezer) as I'd been using one that seemed to not detangle but just rip and tear through my hair. Also I stopped blow drying my hair as well. It all worked and I now have waist length hair
    "Goth Juice... The most powerful hairspray known to man. Made from the tears of Robert Smith." - Vince Noir

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

When you say "heat products," are you using a flat iron or otherwise using heat to straighten your hair, even if only once a month? If so, that could be a main source of the problem because fine hair often just can't stand up to that kind of damage, and even if you're only flat ironing once a month you're still damaging (mostly) the same hair over and over again, which will eventually result in breakage at the ends. Heat protectant will help somewhat, but it's more of a damage reducer, not eliminator. There are other means of straightening that are non-damaging.

You don't have to be a long-hair to be a member here--we have lots of newer members with short hair, and longer term members who've grown out and then cut their hair. Besides, in much of society, BSL hair is quite long!

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by cat-lady; January 26th, 2015 at 10:41 AM.

Length
    15"/BSL/hip
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Also - what is your diet like? are you eating enough protein? like milk, meat, some even eat a tab. of peanut butter a day & also some people that drink a whey protein drink say that it increased their hair growth to an inch. a month.

Are you taking any hair vitamins? like biotin, MSM,etc.