Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: really easy buns for BSL? quikbun? EZbun?

Default really easy buns for BSL? quikbun? EZbun?

My DD7yrs and I both have BSL hair. She would like buns for balley class but she complains that any bun that starts with a ponytail pulls too much at the crown. I'm going to try a sock bun on her this evening and see how it goes.

For me, with all this shedding, I'm trying to not do anything that puts much tension on my hair at all so ponytails are out of the question unless with's a low and loose one with a scrunchy. But I've been resorting to a quick twist up with a claw clip at the top because I can gently reposition the calw throughout the day so tension isn't always at the same spot and not only does that look trashy and messy, but I'm always afraid the claw is damaging my hair and it doesn't keep my hands out of my hair. I really need to be able to pull it up/back and forget about it.

Should I try hair sticks?? I tried them once long ago and couldn't get the hang of it.

I've seen videos for things liek the quikbun that look really neat and don't seem like they'd pull or put tension too much in one spot.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/qwikbuns

If anyone has used them, I'd love to hear how they worked out. I tried to search the forums, but didn't come up with much.

Are there some buns that work better than others for distributing the weight? (btw.. my hair is BSL, but I do have layers and the top layer is just past my shoulders)

Thanks for any advice! Ya'll are a fabulous group.

Length
    SL/37"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: really easy buns for BSL? quikbun? EZbun?

The best way to hold your hair up is with hair sticks, but those that are twisted or spiral in shape. Not only do these stay in your hair, and are gentle on your hair, but they are easy to put in. Think Ketylos, Woodbyc, Beetnik, and Baerreis hair sticks, etc.
    Silver-haired temptress of the order of the gaming Knights.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Definitely another vote for hairsticks, they're the way forward. Torrin Paige has a great video for learning how to use them, here, god knows I was a bit clueless as to how a couple of sticks (or sometimes even one!) could hold up all my hair.

Length
    14 in/28 in/35 in
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I am also very sensitive to tensions in scalp and temple hair. I find buns made on the side like just an ordinary cinnamon bun fairly comfortable. Also ponytail made on the side is fairly comfortable, as the hair is resting on shoulder.

In my slippery hair French twists with chopsticks donīt hold long times. So I also fix the French twist with a claw (often smaller than down here in signature) and secure the upper twisted part still separately with a small pin or two. I can pull the hair from temples looser, and for me this is a quick comfortable casual bun.
    White and gray hairs are elegant.
    Happy proud member of the RENEGRAYS.

Type
    2c/M/ii

I suggest the lazy wrap bun. It doesn't require twisting or ponytailing, and works with relatively short hair. If you search this site or YouTube you'll find it.

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

My new favorite is this 'pencil bun' that we had a thread on a while ago. It stays well, doesn't pull, and doesn't require twisting.

I definitely prefer sticks for keeping my hair up. Not sure a stick-bun would be good enough for a ballet class though Maybe braids pinned up heidi-style?

ETA: I like the lazy wrap bun as well, but I find that to make it hold well that it pulls a bit.

Is a ficcare (did I spell that right?) just as good as hairsticks? I'll give hairsticks another try, but I'm really afraid I'm a hairstick failiure

Thanks for the links! I'll give them a try@

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

I've got hair slightly longer than BSL with layers starting at about APL, and my go-to style is the split bun. I find it to be most secure when I just wrap the hair around two fingers, but when I want a looser, softer look I wrap it around my whole hand.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ambychelle View Post
    Is a ficcare (did I spell that right?) just as good as hairsticks? I'll give hairsticks another try, but I'm really afraid I'm a hairstick failiure

Thanks for the links! I'll give them a try@
    I'd just try with a pen or pencil to see if it works. A 'hairstick' doesn't really need to be a $100 piece of art. Any handy writing or eating (chopstick) utensil will do

I've never owned a real ficcare myself, as they're kinda pricey. My fake ficcares (fakkares) do an okay job, but I do prefer sticks.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I think the easiest and most comfortable bun for you and your daughter would be to do a clippie bun. Make a cinnamon bun and secure it around with little clippies. It holds great and is so easy and cute. Works great braided also.
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.