View Poll Results: At what length does your hair get attention in public?

Voters
303. You may not vote on this poll
  • MBL to waist

103 33.99%
  • hip to tailbone

140 46.20%
  • classic to mid-thigh (or fingertip)

50 16.50%
  • knee to mid-calf

5 1.65%
  • ankle or beyond

5 1.65%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: At what length does your hair get attention in public?

Length
    Pixie/102cm/150cm
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default At what length does your hair get attention in public?

What is the length when your hair gets the WOW factor in public, where strangers compliment, or ask you questions, or stare?

A. MBL to Waist
    B. Hip to tailbone
    C. Classic to mid-thigh (or fingertip)
    D. Knee to midcalf
    E. Ankle or beyond

If you comment in addition to the first poll question, please answer these additional questions:

1. At what length does the public attention you receive become negative, if that has ever happened to you?

2. At what length do total strangers tell you to cut your hair and donate it?

Length
    14/53/55.1
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Re: At what length does your hair get attention in public?

The attention startet around hip I think, but back then I had my hair loose most of the time

1. At what length does the public attention you receive become negative, if that has ever happened to you?

Hmm I don't think that they have been negative, mostly people just ask if it isn't time for a cut. I just tell them that it's not long enough for that

I have never ever had anyone tell me that I should donate. But then again, I don't think that we have that form for donations in Denmark.

Length
    17/31/34
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

It gets attention at waist, which is where I am right now. It actually got attention before waist too, but that's probably because it's blonde.

I have thankfully not received any negative comments.

Length
    Bob/FTL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I start to get comments usually around waist about how nice and long my hair is, but people don't really get flabbergasted and go "wow your hair is so LONG" until hip/tbl.

I haven't had that happen yet, but my godmum who is just about classic length gets negative responses sometimes. I think it's an age thing (I'm apparently young enough to be allowed long hair? People are silly like that)

That's been happening since MBL. People started to get really pushy about it when I was about halfway through the midback abyss. Like "think of the children, you could probably donate twice and still have plenty left" level pushy. That doens't happen much now that I bun it though...

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

This is really going to depend on where you are. My hair at TBL is just reaching the end of what I see regularly on other people. I suppose past Classic it might get some attention. But then I have long hair for the ease and fun of putting it up and wear it down on the rare occasion. I've never received any negative comments, a few positive ones though.

I was in a different part of town with a very different demographic and overheard some ladies who clearly knew each other chatting. One asked another with maybe waist length hair if she was going to donate it. Again, the responses to these questions will vary greatly based on demographics.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    26/54/56
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

It does depend a lot on where you are and the sort of people around you. I can remember getting compliments about my hair along the lines of, "It's so pretty and long!" back at BSL, but that was usually from friends and acquaintances. I think at waist strangers noticed my hair but never really said anything, while friends often had a lot to say, almost always positive. I spent about a decade growing my hair from APL to waist and cutting it off to send to Locks of Love (every two years), so if donations ever came up in conversation at that point, I was usually the one mentioning it. My mom always bugged me about cutting my hair when it got past mid-back, but that's been a life-long point of disagreement between us.

I clearly remember being around tailbone when I heard a mother and daughter in line behind me at a Greek restaurant talking about how long my hair was. It was still very positive, but my friends started asking when I was going to cut it, or joking that I was going for a record or something. That was around the time my mom gave up on getting me to cut my hair. And since sitting on my hair was becoming more and more of an issue, I started wearing it up most of the time.

From classic to fingertip, I had absolutely no one talking about my hair unless I brought it up (this forum excluded, of course). I wore it down for concerts and conventions, and occasionally on special occasions, but no one said anything that I heard.

Now it's just a bit beyond fingertip, and my hair was the topic of conversation for about an hour during a party two weeks ago. There were compliments, as well as some unease about the length of my hair. One girl grabbed my ends and inspected them for splits because she swore it was impossible to grow hair long and keep it healthy. Another demanded to know what shampoo I use and went on a rant about sulfates, but then said natural haircare was gross and if people needed to resort to herbs and oils to care for their hair then they should just cut it off. The same girl said I should donate my hair to Locks of Love (not the usual "you should cut it off now and donate it", but a general suggestion for if/when I eventually cut it), and I told her about LoL's falling reputation and mentioned a few alternatives, so she wouldn't push the issue or think I was making it up. A friend's daughter, who had never seen my hair down before, wanted to see how I get it into such a small bun. I put it up in a nautilus for her, she freaked out for a moment and demanded to see me do it again, and then declared it magic.

Overall, people's opinions of my hair at this point seem very mixed, and it's become a sort of novelty for many. I'm definitely more comfortable keeping it up all the time now, or at least braiding it (because people see my very tight braid, tied off at waist, with its long tassel hanging to classic, and for some reason assume my hair is waist length or even shorter).
    Starting Length: APL (Nov 2009)
    Max Length: Knee (56")
    Current Length: Classic (46")

Length
    shldr/shldr/?
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I think there isn't such length (in this country). Strangers just don't talk to each other! Well, I did get sometimes comments on my hair when it was a lot longer (tbl+) but they were always from drunk men or children (children weren't usually drunk ). I think donating hair is very american thing. I had never even heard such thing until I joined this forum back in the day. Friends and family have never given any comments on my hair. They just don't care or maybe they think it's rude to comment such a personal thing.
    Last edited by Marika; November 1st, 2013 at 02:16 AM.
    From shoulder length to almost classic. Cut my hair back to shoulder length in Aug 2018. Growing again

Length
    28 in/40 in/48+in
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

i started getting old women pulling on my hair ("for good luck") once it reached hip.
    comments, just about whenever i leave it down.
    not so many women here keep their hair so long.
    i am at tailbone now.... which is about 37 inches on me

i don't much notice my hair anymore, as i usually keep it up.
    but, the other day, i was walking down the street and my braid
    unravelled. it was very comical, some people started following me-
    commenting and asking to touch it, too !

Length
    28 in/40 in/48+in
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

p.s. what is funny, is i do not even consider my hair long yet !
    maybe i will once i reach mid-thigh !

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

If you have a pretty solid hemline anything tailbone or below will turn heads here. Though you do see a lot of hair extensions in our area now. 10 years ago BSL passed for extremely long and comment worthy.