Page 207 of 285 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217257 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,070 of 2843

Thread: Catnip for split ends?

Type
    2b/2c/F/i

Default Re: Catnip for split ends?

Hmm... I'm only brewing for an hour. I wonder if I need to increase the brewing time.

edit: OK, I catnipped this afternoon, after leaving it to brew for 2 hours this time. I noticed an improvement in terms of 'slip' and strength to the hair, although no difference in the colour. I think I will try building up the time brewing and see what happens.
    Last edited by pelicano; November 19th, 2009 at 01:06 PM.

Length
    20,5/26,8/39,4
    Type
    3a/C/iii

Hey. I used catnip 2 times. My hair has been much more curled than normal. Also my hair has been darker. But I think for that result the effort is to high ... I don't use catnip anymore but it was a good experience

Type
    4a/F/M/ii/iii

Speaking of brewing time, it seems like my catnip changes if I leave it to brew overnight. After a while it goes from a nice translucent color to being slightly cloudy. The smell isn't as nice either. Has this happened to anyone else?

I brew it with nearly-boiled tap water and let it sit in a covered pyrex jar.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by loyaboya View Post
    Speaking of brewing time, it seems like my catnip changes if I leave it to brew overnight. After a while it goes from a nice translucent color to being slightly cloudy. The smell isn't as nice either. Has this happened to anyone else?

My catnip remained clear with longer brewing times but when I shook it, I could see a sort of sediment. More things being released I think and it depends as well on what is put in the mug. My catnip has a crushed powder at the bottom of the mix. That is normal.

As to the smell, I have never noticed that. I use boiled water for the entire process, including sterilizing the utensils used.
    Last edited by ktani; November 20th, 2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    ??/56/??
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Like Ktani I always use boiling water and sterilise the mug I steep it in with boiling water before using it. I've never noticed mine go cloudy and I have forgotten it sometimes so it steeped for 9 hours or more. Never noticed any change in the smell either.

2a/M/iii - 56 inches

Type
    4a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    My catnip remained clear with longer brewing times but when I shook it, I could see a sort of sediment. More things being released I think and it depends as well on what is put in the mug. My catnip has a crushed powder at the bottom of the mix. That is normal.

As to the smell, I have never noticed that. I use boiled water for the entire process, including sterilizing the utensils used.
    Hmmm- yeah I'm thinking it might just be breaking down. When I say 'overnight' I'm thinking 12-24 hours. I wouldn't say it starts to smell bad, it's just not that fresh, minty smell that I get after a 1-2 hour brew. Anyway, I just won't be doing it that long anymore. Now I let it sit until it cools, then I apply it to my damp hair.

I've been doing weekly catnip soaks since early September! That's about 10-11 treatments total and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

Length
    20,5/26,8/39,4
    Type
    3a/C/iii

Hey, my experiences: Longer brewing time-->more cloudy

But I think catnip smells horrible... I hate the scent of herbs...

Greeting

Length
    20,5/26,8/39,4
    Type
    3a/C/iii

EDIT: But as I said: The result was great

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Hmmm- yeah I'm thinking it might just be breaking down. When I say 'overnight' I'm thinking 12-24 hours. I wouldn't say it starts to smell bad, it's just not that fresh, minty smell that I get after a 1-2 hour brew. Anyway, I just won't be doing it that long anymore. Now I let it sit until it cools, then I apply it to my damp hair.

I've been doing weekly catnip soaks since early September! That's about 10-11 treatments total and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.
    It does sound like it is breaking down to me. Why I do not know but if the water was not boiled that may be it in part, and that you left it out for so long.

Type
    4a/F/M/ii/iii

ktani- So do you add BOILING water to your mug with catnip? I was worried that boiling water might be too hot, so I've been trying to catch it right before, or let it cool down a bit afterwards. But maybe I won't be so particular in the future if it doesn't matter.

heldiggris- thanks! Okay at least I know it's not just me.