Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair cleavage

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Hair cleavage

Does anyone remember this subject which came up at the old board? I don't have any photo of mine but it seems to get worse for whatever reason: my hair at the two cowlicks on the back of my head always falls apart no matter what updo I try and even when I wear the hair loose. With my white scalp and rather darkish hair this looks very odd. It gets worse the longer I haven't washed.
    Any idea to prevent this?

Type
    2c/M/ii

No ideas here! I have insane scalp cleavage. Every curl on the crown and back of my head grows from a swirl, just like my dad's. Doesn't bug me as much as some people here - I don't feel that it makes me look like I am balding or anything.

If I do an updo it is possible to rearrage my hair (after the updo is secured, with my fingers) so it doesn't show much, but it sounds like you've tried that and it's not working for you.. maybe you need to secure the hair you've 'combed over' so to speak with a bobby pin?

Length
    -/Shldr/-
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

I don't think you can prevent it really - I have it at the back because of a double crown there - you can see it in my sig pic even though it's a small photo. It's more pronounced when my hair is allowed to airdry and go its own way (which is the majority of the time as I very rarely blow-dry - but when I do, I can "persuade" the hair temporarily to lie flatter). The same applies to the cowlicks I have in front at my widow's peak. Humidity seems to bring them out as the hair's wave becomes more marked.

I'm not worried about looking bald because it's obvious I have a lot of hair, but it does make me look as if I "need to brush my hair" .

© GRD, 3 March 2007

Length
    32/46/dunno
    Type
    1a/M/iii

I have a swirly spot on the side where my old natural part is and for years, my hair would not lie over the spot properly, especially in updos. It was pretty annoying. But it stopped doing that years ago... I think the hair still sticks up a tiny bit over the spot but hair now lays over it so you can't see the scalp there. It kind of just got better with time... and by time, I mean several years. It got to the point where I didn't care anymore, so I stopped paying attention, but now it's gone. I think maybe with many years of your hair lying a certain way most of the time, it's possible for it to go away or decrease.

Length
    27/33/36
    Type
    1b/F/ii

This problem ceased several months after I stopped using water and products. I suspect the reason is because of daily scritching and scalp massage.

Length
    30/30/32+
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I have the same thing, i have a photo in my photo album that shows it. I see it back there alot. I call it a cowlick.

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

My mom wore her hair in a topknot bun, I mean *on top* of her head. She had hair cleavage in the back like you would not believe, and she would use a wide side-comb to keep it from showing. Run the comb up and then insert it teeth down, and the cleavage could not happen.

I don't wear my hair that way, and only when I really need to wash do I notice this problem.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    18/20/WL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Cleavage here! It's almost like my "part" just continues some ways down the back of my head.

No worries. Your hair is already perfect, because it's yours.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Yes ma'am, that was me!

I was getting it when I put my hair up esp with Ficcares. Playing with how much hair I was grabbing seems to have helped it, but for cowlicks the only thing I can think of might be to try "poofier" styles. When mine wants to show cleavage, trying to make it tighter only makes it worse!

Type
    2c/M/ii

Playing with how much hair I was grabbing seems to have helped it, but for cowlicks the only thing I can think of might be to try "poofier" styles. When mine wants to show cleavage, trying to make it tighter only makes it worse!
    Yeah, looser updos and working with the way your hair likes to lie naturally work for me. Pulling it back tightly in the 'wrong' direction just makes it look bad.