Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unbrush? (Also HELP; everything in the entire world gives me breakage apparently)

Length
    SL-18/BL-28/KL-55
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Unbrush? (Also HELP; everything in the entire world gives me breakage apparently)

Alright my people;

I've been doing like LHC-ers often do and intermittently checking hair care trends, and the Unbrush keeps coming up in the last 6 months or so. Often enough to get me interested and think maybe there's more to it than just being one of the latest TikTok fad items.

There's lots of people online who think it's pretty similar (in terms of gentleness/ease of detangling) to a standard Tangle Teezer. Some like it way more than the TT (apparently it goes through your hair a bit easier/smoother; like a series of wide-tooth combs all bundled together more than a brush.)

I'm a person with quite fine, rather tangly 2a hair (it lives in gentle buns, looser braids, or under satin pretty much 24/7) so one of the most intriguing things to me that people keep bringing up in their reviews of the Unbrush is how they say it goes much more smoothly through their hair than even their TTs, without breaking strands.

As a person who's extremely prone to breakage (I can hardly sneeze without adding to my "face-framing breakage," lol) of course I'm VERY intrigued.

And before you answer; yes, I follow the LHC wisdom of only detangling from the bottom up when it's dry or mostly dry, I oil my ends lightly and religiously, blow dry the roots only (on cool-warm, never hot; and only because it takes a whole day to dry if I don't), clarify as needed (once a month or two), and am very careful in general with it.

"Like old lace" and all, in the gentlest of styles, with the gentlest of handling; but it STILL breaks like it's going out of style. I'm not sure what else I can do, or what I could possibly be doing wrong, besides resign myself to my ends being eternally tapered down to less than 10 strands by the time I get to TBL (I'm not exaggerating, this has literally happened to me about 5 times so far during my "long hair journey.")

So ALL THAT SAID I'm just wondering;

A.) what do we think of the Unbrush (user reviews please), and
    B.) any ideas on how I might ameliorate my breakage?

Thank y'all for your time.
    Last edited by H.e.L; January 28th, 2024 at 04:49 PM.
    BSL, 28” • WL, 31” • HL, 34” • TBL, 39” (personal best) • CL, 45” • FTL, 47” • MTL, 51” • KL, 54” •
    —2a, F, ii (2.5”)—

Length
    Pixie/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Unbrush? (Also HELP; everything in the entire world gives me breakage apparently)

Personally, I quite like it! It's faster than combing my hair, but it seems to be easier on my fine hair. I like it more than my TT, but I definitely do use a wide tooth comb first IF I have a lot of product in my hair. Then I'll use the unbrush
    I don't have any significant advice, but I like to detangle my hair with conditioner in it, not just leave it, actual conditioner I'd use in the shower. I just put it on my ends like usual, then I'll shampoo like normal, then condition again. Works like a charm for me!
    P̶i̶x̶i̶e̶,̶ ̶C̶h̶i̶n̶,̶ ̶S̶L̶,̶ ̶C̶B̶L̶,̶ ̶A̶P̶L̶,̶ ̶B̶S̶L̶,̶ ̶W̶L̶!̶!̶ ....on to hip?

Length
    SL-18/BL-28/KL-55
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Unbrush? (Also HELP; everything in the entire world gives me breakage apparently)

Hmm I haven't tried CWC for a while, I thought maybe that would be overly redundant as I already pre-oil my scalp & ends before every wash. Maybe I'll pick that up again, couldn't hurt.

Thanks for your review/reply, Chasemi!
    BSL, 28” • WL, 31” • HL, 34” • TBL, 39” (personal best) • CL, 45” • FTL, 47” • MTL, 51” • KL, 54” •
    —2a, F, ii (2.5”)—

Length
    Pixie/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by H.e.L View Post
    Hmm I haven't tried CWC for a while, I thought maybe that would be overly redundant as I already pre-oil my scalp & ends before every wash. Maybe I'll pick that up again, couldn't hurt.

Thanks for your review/reply, Chasemi!
    No problem!

That's fair. If you feel it won't make a difference in your hair on top of oils, that's definitely understandable and you know your hair best! If you think it's worth a shot, I'd suggest something cheap that's loaded with silicone, which will help protect the hair from breakage
    P̶i̶x̶i̶e̶,̶ ̶C̶h̶i̶n̶,̶ ̶S̶L̶,̶ ̶C̶B̶L̶,̶ ̶A̶P̶L̶,̶ ̶B̶S̶L̶,̶ ̶W̶L̶!̶!̶ ....on to hip?

Length
    BSL/CL/KL
    Type
    4b/4c/M/C/iii

I'm in the market for a new brush for my toddler who has very fine type 3 hair. I don't know which to try, TT or Unbrush.
    TBL>CL>MTL>KL
    Onward, Downward, and Outward to Body Swallowing Lengths!!

Length
    SL-18/BL-28/KL-55
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Hairy-Fairy View Post
    I'm in the market for a new brush for my toddler who has very fine type 3 hair. I don't know which to try, TT or Unbrush.
    I like my Tangle Teezer fine I guess, I just still have lots of breakage even from that so I'm going to try the Unbrush. I plan to purchase one on my next pay period.

I'll report back in a couple weeks with whether or not the Unbrush seems gentler than the TT (average amount of hair left in brush after brushing properly, that kind of thing. Probably best I can do short-term.)

I'll also be tracking long-term effects, ie does my 'breakage halo' diminish over time/start growing out.
    —2a, F, ii (2.5”)—

Length
    Pixie/APL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

I would love to hear your results, since I love my TT dearly. Just curious, does your Tangle Teaser have a handle, or is it the kind without? Mine doesn't have a handle and I've been told that handles can add more tension to the hair and kind of interfere with your "sense" of how hard you should pull. That was what originally attracted me to TT since I have baby fine hair, and I notice Unbrush has a handle.

Length
    SL-18/BL-28/KL-55
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbouu View Post
    I would love to hear your results, since I love my TT dearly. Just curious, does your Tangle Teaser have a handle, or is it the kind without? Mine doesn't have a handle and I've been told that handles can add more tension to the hair and kind of interfere with your "sense" of how hard you should pull. That was what originally attracted me to TT since I have baby fine hair, and I notice Unbrush has a handle.
    I have both kinds of TTs (both a palm-held "original" type and their large "ultimate detangler.") I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference in hair fall/breakage between the palm-held type and the one with a handle (but I'm always careful to brush the bottom 3", then the next 3" up and all the way through to the ends, then the next 3" up & thru again...etc til I get to the roots.)

I even like my TTs, I just suspect them since I feel like I'm doing pretty much everything else right but still constantly seeing a lot of random-length 3-4" hairs sticking out ALL OVER my head which I can't explain (and it still feels like maybe they pull a bit since the bristles don't easily "sink into/through" my hair canopy even after thoroughly detangling first.)

Once I get my Unbrush, I'll definitely update y'all on my thoughts, and compare/contrast.
    Last edited by H.e.L; January 29th, 2024 at 04:21 PM.
    —2a, F, ii (2.5”)—

Length
    MBL/MBL/KNEE

From the videos I've seen of people with very curly hair reviewing it, it's very gentle on hair and does a fairly good job. However, people are also finding it doesn't 100 percent detangle depending on your texture (fine/medium/coarse) and density, and some have reported mold growth on their brushes. A very similar brush that I use in the Denman D38 paddle brush. It's also quite gentle on hair with nice flexible bristles.

I'm not very well versed on the whole protein vs moisture thing, but I wonder if that could be having an influence on your strands breaking easily?
    Last edited by ETJ CURLS; January 29th, 2024 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
    MBL~WL~HL~TBL~ FTL~ KNEE

Length
    SL-18/BL-28/KL-55
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ETJ CURLS View Post
    From the videos I've seen of people with very curly hair reviewing it, it's very gentle on hair and does a fairly good job. However, people are also finding it doesn't 100 percent detangle depending on your texture (fine/medium/coarse) and density, and some have reported mold growth on their brushes. A very similar brush that I use in the Denman D38 paddle brush. It's also quite gentle on hair with nice flexible bristles.

I'm not very well versed on the whole protein vs moisture thing, but I wonder if that could be having an influence on your strands breaking easily?
    Thanks for the Unbrush info! Good to know.

On the protein thing; you know, I've wondered about that myself. I'm pretty sure I have low or medium-to-low porosity hair, and I'm only just beginning to learn how to best care for it. There's a bit of conflicting information so I'm not sure what to use exactly, what would just overload it, etc.

I did a greek yogurt and egg protein treatment once (figured that was maybe gentler than buying an actual protein treatment at Sally's,) and my hair did feel more strong after that; but maybe too strong?? (As in possibly more snap-able)? But my hair breaks so easily anyway, how would I tell the difference? lol

Some people say low porosity can overload on protein pretty easily so I'm a little skittish about doing those very often.

But yeah, I'm still in the "research phase" on that. Good thought!
    —2a, F, ii (2.5”)—