Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you consider a hairstyle a statement of race, religion or politics?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Do you consider a hairstyle a statement of race, religion or politics?

or do you see one as dated?

Without rehashing recent events, I am curious.

I remember when an afro, then undefined as a hairstyle was a political statement. Today it has connotations of disco for some and to others it is just a way of wearing hair.

Shaving one's head if you were male, not that long ago meant "skinhead" and racism. Now it is just shaving one's head.

The Mullet. It has been associated with racism and trailerparks. I see nothing wrong with trailerparks and everything wrong with racism.

I knew women who were gay that believed that keeping their hair short was a political statement about their sexual preference. To the uninitiated it was just short hair.

Without getting into delicate subjects, how is any hairstyle perceived by you?

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Do you consider a hairstyle a statement of race, religion or politics?

Personally, the health of the hair appeals to me the most. Frankly, I loathe the stringy, "messy" look that seems to popular among some stars.

I don't consider hair as a statement of race, religion or anything else. Everyone is entitled to wear (or not) their hair as they please.

Length
    Chin/APL+/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Do you consider a hairstyle a statement of race, religion or politics?

I don't really think about it. I do know the references, but I don't think nazi because I see a shaved head or disco fever because I se an afro. I mostly wiew hairstyles and hair in general as a reflection of personality (in my case: Big, sexy and unpredictable! )
    Just a small selection of hairstyles I have done
    My Brand-new blog: http://hairdiarydash.blog.com
    Password: LHC

I just see hairstyles as hairstyles too and I am old enough to remember when some of them were viewed differently.

I realize that some hairstyles require a specific hair type but that goes for any style, less so today because of advances in straightening chemically and straight irons for some people, and better curly cutting techniques for others.

I was never a fan of "Grunge". I am not even sure of what that was exactly but what Madora described brings back memories.

I can get my hair to look stringy and unkempt. It used to be a battle for me to avoid that, lol.

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

Well, I agree.

Some hairstyles might be part of a certain culture, and some just come more naturally to one race than another. Some African ladies' hair with their tiny, beautiful beaded braids just amazes me. And long, straight black hair with flowers makes me think Filipina.

Some religions and religious groups do require their members to have a certain hairstyle. Think of the tonsure that monks used to wear in the Catholic tradition, or the FLDS ladies we heard so much about a few years ago.

I think politics isn't so much a factor anymore, but I read that it used to be that women cutting their hair short and wearing pants was a feminist statement and so on.

One thing I always find funny is that even in a group like mine where we're all expected to have long hair and wear it in a bun, girls still find ways to express ourselves with our hairstyles. Some have parts in the middle, some on the side, some pull all their hair across their forehead in a big "swoosh," some pull it all back tight, and some let it puff in the front.

Anyway no matter what your race, religion or political stance is, I think it's easy to see that womens' hair is our glory.

I like to see healthy shiny hair on anyone. I have seen some gorgeous braids on all hair types and long, long flowing hair worn loose that reminds me of what I perceived as what was worn in the South Pacific islands from TV ads and old movies, when I was a child. The hair in the ads was not straight, more wavy but thick and shiny.

I have seen some incredibly stunning straight hair too.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I suppose long hair could be seen as hippy-ish and out of fashion, but to be honest, I don't pay fashion enough heed to let it bother me. I enjoy my hair, what fashion says about that (or anything else) isn't really all that important to me. As for religion, I'm an atheist, but if people think I'm a religious fanatic, well, that works to stop annoying people talking to me.

Length
    10 in/36.5/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Hair, like anything, can be used as a political statement. But it rarely is anymore, as far as I can tell, although some people still look at a particular hairstyle, maybe one they remember as having been used to make a political statement, and then ignorantly assume the current wearer is doing so is making that statement. Same with associations of race or religion. People like to categorize others, and it's very easy to make incorrect assumptions about the motivations of someone you don't even know.

As others have alluded to on this forum before:

One thing long hair will always say about the wearer is that the wearer does not follow every fashion trend that Hollywood churns out. Unless, of course, you're using extensions to 'correct' the shortness of your latest trendy cut!

I have seen more women celebrities recently with long, less layered hair than before (Angelina Jolie and Demi Moore).

I knew a woman who looked stunning with a center part, when few I know did (it can be a tricky look to wear) but refused to wear her hair that way at one point, post hippie days because to her the look was dated and was a hippie look.

Length
    33"/34.5/37"
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Hairstyle can be a statement, but not necessarily. I'd need to see the person's whole presentation (clothing, demeanor, etc.) before deciding.