Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite brand of henna?

Default What is your favorite brand of henna?

Hi all, I am kind of new to henna and if you don't mind my asking, what is your favorite brand of henna and why? I have only used hennasooq fo r a henndigo and liked the quality and customer service, also very fast shipping. But I am looking for an alternative. I am considering Dulhan deluxe. I want something that gives a more reddish dark stain and I could buy in bulk if I wanted without is costing me an arm and a leg. . There are so many brands out there but not a lot of information on them. I found a site called zenia herbal that was selling a kilo of henna powder for $20 buy thrre was zero information about the product. I did find that it had really grrat reviews on Amazon, buy amazon is no longer selling it.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: What is your favorite brand of henna?

Dulhan is a name that gets slapped on a lot of hennas, but the Dulhan henna that I was able to get locally was fantastic stuff. The box looked like this. If you can get your hands on reasonably fresh stuff for a good price, I recommend it.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I had a really hard time deciding because there's so many I like but I think I'd have to say Nupur Henna. It's not just BAQ henna but has 9 other beneficial herbs added and my hair did much better with this type. Oddly enough when I first started purchasing it, the price was fairly reasonable. In fact it was cheap. A couple of years later I went to purchase it and the price had increased a lot. This brand is often found in local indian and ethnic grocery stores.

Thankyou for the recommendations. My husband surprised me and brought home some of the Dulhan Deluxe Anje suggested so I guess we'll see how that goes. I just have to figure out what way to mix it, lemon or no lemon, oil or no oil, warm water with lemon aahh. It is all very conflicting.

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

NOOOO LEMON!!!!
    I'm not sure why henna suppliers suggest using lemon juice but it's not necessary. Maybe just add some warm water or camomile tea, a touch of honey or sugar and a tbsp. of good oil.
    You'll be very thankful if you omit the lemon juice.Its extremely drying and can even change your natural hair colour.
    It's totally self defeating it.

Thanks hennalonghair I will take your word for it, your hair is gorgeous.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Just what hennalonghair said. No lemon. (I wish someone had told me that the first time I hennaed!)

I think maybe the lemon helps a strain stick to skin better, so it got carried over to hair? But there's a big difference in having a small design of acidic henna drawn on your skin and having the entire top of your head slathered with it. My head was rashy and itched for a week from my all-lemon henna attempt!

So then it is not true that it gives a better stain with lemon juice?

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Maybe on skin. On hair, warm water seems to give a darker, redder stain whereas lemon juice gives an oranger strain that deepens slowly toward that same red, though maybe not as intense in the end.

Length
    10/17/24
    Type
    4c/F/iii

I haven't tried a brand I didn't like: Hannah Naturals, Henna Guys, Mehandi, Hennasooq. I try to look for a high lawson content, reviews that attest to a deep red stain, and a reasonably "fresh" crop.

Those aspects are more important to me than the name brand.