Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tis' the season...for a different hair oil!

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Tis' the season...for a different hair oil!

So, this is the first winter I've used oil (almost at my 1 year LHC anniverary). I noticed today, since we haven't turned the heat on yet, that my normal coconut oil was kinda hardening as I was applying it. I figured this would happen at some point and it shouldn't be bad once we start using the heat, but what about when I go out and about? I don't need a coconut oil helmet!

Anyways, I was hoping to get some recommendations for winter hair oils. Ones that won't harden in cold weather. I've used EVOO, but it was kinda hard to wash out.

I'm pretty open for any oils, though I like the idea of oils that can penetrate the hair. Ideally, one that can be used daily, since I'm an utter oil-junkie!

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Default Re: Tis' the season...for a different hair oil!

Same happens with my coconut oil! I use avocado oil in the winter.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    ??/Hip/??
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I used to use camellia oil (I ran out, and haven't had the money to get a new bottle), and I don't think it ever solidified on me. It kept my hair very happy throughout the dry winter too.

Length
    8 in/42 in/60 in
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

I've been using Argan oil very sparingly and really like the results. I also put a few drops in a small mister with distilled water and spray throughout the day. I like coconut oil for summer, but the Argan does seem to do better in cold days.

Length
    3/32.75/45
    Type
    1c/2a/C/i/ii

If you like the coconut oil, you can order fractionated coconut, which is coconut oil that remains in it's liquid form and does not solidify. I just ordered some and I love it.

Took an arrow in the knee Alaia's Avatar
    Length
    APL/~TB/Knee!
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

I've never had coconut oil harden once it's actually on my hair, so I just use it year-round. Though it doesn't exactly get freezing in London
    Lady Aineldiel of the Three-Fated Path in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL - TB - Classic - Fingertip - Knee!

Length
    19/24.5/WL+
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

I love, love, love Weleda Rosemary Hair Oil (you can get it at Whole Foods). It makes my hair feel really soft and smells delish, and it's not affected by winter weather: http://www.drugstore.com/weleda-rose...r-oil/qxp45846

Ingredients are: Peanut Oil, Clover Bud Extract, Burdock Root (Arctium Lappa) Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Another vote for Argan Oil.

Not the kind they sell that smells really, really good that contains all kind of other ingredients. I mean the 100% argan oil.

You only need a tiny bit and it doesn't feel heavy or greasy (if used sparingly). I use it every day in a mister bottle with distilled water & shea butter butter. I spritz a little on the canopy and voilá! Instant softness & shine!

You can also use it as a leave in, overnight, more liberal amount, if you want. I haven't tried that yet because my hair doesn't really respond well to heavy oiling.

I love it!
    The Wild Beast From The Land of Hair That Cannot Be Tamed
    Pixie - Chin- Shoulder - APL - BSL - Waist - TBL

Length
    shldr/bsl+/:)
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Maybe Jojoba Oil ?

I also use Coconut Oil and pure Argan Oil
    Lady Laucamiluiel of the Silken Crown, in the order of
    The Long Haired Knights

Length
    Shldr/Hip/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I usually just use my coconut oil still. I fill a bowl or sink with warm water and leave it for 5-10 minutes till it softens enough for me to work with.

I have a question for those of you talking about other oils, specifically argan and avacado. I CO as my main cleanser, and use coconut oil because it washes out so easily, will argan and/or avacado leave an oily residue like EVOO or will it rinse clean like coconut? Thnx, sorry for the highjack.