Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washing only part of your hair

Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Washing only part of your hair

Backstory: The top quarter of my nearly classic hair gets oilier than the bottom three-quarters. I wash my hair it everyday, which seems to work best. However, the bottom three-quarters doesn't seem to need to be washed that often. My hair gets tangly when wet, and I detangle with conditioner. I'd like to try washing the length of my hair less than daily, to see if it will help with shedding.

Has anyone washed only part of their hair, without getting the other part totally wet? How did you do it? Did it work for you? Other thoughts? Thanks!

Couldn't find a thread related to this. If this has already been discussed thanks in advance for directing me to that thread.

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Washing only part of your hair

If you check the article section, amoretti has an article on scalp-only washing, if that's what you mean. However, if you mean only the canopy gets oily, then I don't know how to help you.
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I've washed just the front of my hair by parting it ear to ear and putting the back in a ponytail. I then put the front section in a ponytail, but put the band about 8" from the roots.

I fill a sink with tepid water and dunk my scalp in, using my fingers I get the weater to the roots, dunk the front of my head in the sink again to rinse it, then drain the water and fill it once more to rinse off any residue.

The sink doesn't need to be very full, and I find the dunking gives more control than the shower head.

It's the same principle as Amoretti's full scalp wash, but on a smaller scale!
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Type
    1a/F/ii

GlassEyes, thank you for directing me to amoretti's article! That is what I was after. Now I know what it's called.

enfys, thanks for the smaller scale version. I have a small sink and a showerhead with a limited range of motion, so I'll have to see which works best.

The LHC is so helpful so quickly. <3

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I do this too, but my ends do get wet. I tended to use condition/wash/condition to keep the ends from getting too dry.

Your hair is gorgeous!
    ~Dare to Dream~

~Lady Aithon of the Fire-Shod Steed in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights~

Length
    less/long/more
    Type
    2a/C/iii

There are other methods too -- searching for "scalp wash" might help. I wash all my hair only every few weeks, but the oily part gets cleaned more often than that. Good luck!
    "All of life is a foreign country" (Jack Kerouac, 1949).
    "I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." (Albert Einstein)

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I usually only wash my scalp in the front of my hair and at the nape...where i get oily. if I could get over the initial shock of oily hair for a week or so id probably start doing CO but i absolutely cant stand the look and feel of greasy.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

My hair is not oily when I CO. That is why I am able to do it. I cannot stand when my hair gets oily.

I scalp wash sometimes when I don't have time for a full wash in the shower. My hair dries in about 30 minutes when I scalp wash, versus 5 hours when I do the whole thing. However, I typically only do the first 1/3 of my hair. I cannot figure out how to gracefully do the back without getting my ends wet as well. Besides, my ends like to get wet every few days, so I only do the scalp wash when I need to be somewhere in a hurry.

ETA:
    Oh, and when I scalp wash, I use a shampoo bar. I like how easily it rinses out compared to regular shampoo.
    Last edited by Finoriel; March 16th, 2010 at 03:36 AM. Reason: merged to ETA
    Change is the only constant.

Relentless Reenactor Fiferstone's Avatar
    Length
    18/38/40
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I scalp wash in between full length washings now. I use a shampoo bar (LUSH Trichomania), and I braid the length and stuff the braid down the back of my robe. I've got a handheld shower attachment so I can use that bent over the tub. So far, so good. I like the fact that I am not getting the length wet quite so often, and I can keep the scalp oiliness under better control.
    Lady Marigold of the Far Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    apl/thigh/thigh
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

woah, I didn't even think that was possible... I am looking into this now - this might mean I won't have to go half of my day with my hair still soaking wet!

EDIT: so I read it... I don't think my hair is long enough to follow amoretti's article D: maybe later...
    Last edited by Juneii; January 18th, 2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: read the article on full scalp washing