Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heat + Hair growth

Length
    10/Chin/BSL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Heat + Hair growth

Browsing the vogue website, i came across this tidbit:

"Good news if you’re trying to lengthen your locks this season: hair grows faster when the mercury hits high. “Hair and nails grow faster in summer due to humidity as heat stimulates growth,” waxing expert Gilly Harriott tells us. Not so good for the hair on your legs."

Is there any truth to this, or is it a load of baloney ? It sounds a bit suspect ...

Length
    20/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Heat + Hair growth

From what I know hair really does grow faster in the summer... Something to do with the heat and the increased blood circulation I think..?
    I COCONUT OIL
    Lady Eliniviere, Guardian of the Long Blonde Tresses in the Order of The Long Haired Knights

Length
    36/42/42+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Yes, generally hair does grow slightly faster in Summer for most people. Probably a mix of increased levels of vitamin D, humidity, sunshine and warmth. However blasting your hair with a hair dryer/living in a greenhouse/using sunbeds to try and mimic the same effect won't help.
    Winter is generally resting time for hair so it won't grow as fast, your body is concentrating on reserving energy in colder months so it won't be expended on hair growth etc from what I understand.
    On the long journey past Classic length onto Knee length and happy hair....
    Heat free | La Riche Directions for Colour

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by frangipani View Post
    Browsing the vogue website, i came across this tidbit:

"Good news if you’re trying to lengthen your locks this season: hair grows faster when the mercury hits high. “Hair and nails grow faster in summer due to humidity as heat stimulates growth,” waxing expert Gilly Harriott tells us. Not so good for the hair on your legs."

Is there any truth to this, or is it a load of baloney ? It sounds a bit suspect ...

It's true, hair does grow faster in warmer climates, a fact that's been known for years! Google information, there's loads of it to be found.

I live in New England, graduating high school with a girl who moved to Florida for a year.

Her hair was around mid-back length when she moved there but when I saw her, two years after graduation, her hair was literally to the floor.

Now, keep in mind she is around 5 feet tall and genetics most likely played a part but that much growth in that short span of time was mind-blowing!

When questioned about it, she stated it grew like a weed while she lived in Florida!

The killer was it was not damaged in any way and was extremely thick, with a blunt hemline.

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

hm, actually, i noticed more growth in winter than in summer guess that depends more on hormones rather than season (or heat)

Length
    10/Chin/BSL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Hooray, more reason to chase summertime around the world
    Weird, i would have thought hair would grow faster in a cold climate, since its function is to keep you warm. The mysteries of the human body!

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

I also notice more growth in summer, but nothing like 1'' more... just a bit. I believe it's due to the warmth and higher vitamin D levels. I doubt humidity has something to do with it. Here in Germany humidity is also high in winter, but the hair doesn't grow faster. I'd relate faster growing simply to more sunlight.
    At true tailbone!

A lot of people I know and articles I've read have stated that hair grows faster in warmer climates, most likely due to people being more active in the summer, more exercise, more blood flow, the temperature itself, etc. More vitamin D from the sun as well.
    There are a lot of factors that could easily confirm the claims.
    I never noticed much of a difference personally, but then again only recently have I started keeping track of my monthly/yearly/seasonal growth.
    *lurks*

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

It is said that hair growth speeds up in summer months, for me though winter is my growth spell. However the avarage growth is 6" a year, whenever you get this is normal for you.

Though i hope the sun helps my hair as I am off to the far east tomorrow for a fortnight so who knows!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

The one year that I kept measurements all year, my hair grew fastest from July -- January, then slowed down from January -- June. July through September are the hottest months around here, but October through January definitely are not.