Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sudden change in hair needs?

Length
    Waist/Thigh/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Sudden change in hair needs?

About two weeks ago I noticed that the ends of my hair were super dry. The final 10-15 cm of my hair was coarse, rough, and gave an almost velcro-like kind of resistance to being separated. I say was, but the sad truth is that they are still like this
    The thing is, I haven't made any recent changes in my hair routine, so I don't know why this happened so suddenly. Any advice?

About my routine:
    I wash every 3 to 4 days. Shampoo, then conditioner.
    Shampoo: Head and Shoulders anti-dandruff shampoo (I've been using this for years)
    Conditioner: Garnier Fructis Goodbye Damage conditioner (been using this since October)
    Air drying, and if I do use the hairdryer it's on low heat, low intensity and only the scalp.
    I oil daily and post-shower with coconut and jojoba (since January)

My own thoughts are:
    1. Protein overload? There is protein in my conditioner, and I've had no issue in the time I've used it, but could my hair have finally had enough and overloaded?
    2. Product buildup? My conditioner also has some cones, like amodimethicone, but I figured the sulfates in my shampoo should prevent buildup? (I squeeze it in just a little bit down the ends just to be safe regarding buildup)
    3. Changes in the weather. It's getting warmer, and it's raining less. I'm also experiencing increased severity in dandruff in roughly the same timeframe, to such extreme that even my forehead and eyebrows create dandruff I've never had this issue before, and can't point to any other explanation than the weather.

Length
    Waist/Thigh/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Sudden change in hair needs?

An addition: I've noticed that my hair seems to get kinks easier too, even just from having it in a lazy wrap bun. From what I gather, this points to protein damage, right?
    I also want to note that I have tentatively skipped conditioning during my last wash, in case the sinner is protein or product buildup.

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

It could certainly be protein overload!

Also, have you washed in different water? Hard water could cause something like that as well. You get rid of mineral buildup with a chelating shampoo (containing an EDTA).
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    Waist/Thigh/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Water around here is certainly hard. I'm a bit hesitant about using other shampoos, as my dandruff usually rears its ugly face after one or two washes without my usual and right now even that doesn't seem to be quite enough. Do you happen to know of any good chelating shampoos that are also anti-dandruff? Alternatively, would an ACV rinse do the trick?

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Thyme View Post
    Water around here is certainly hard. I'm a bit hesitant about using other shampoos, as my dandruff usually rears its ugly face after one or two washes without my usual and right now even that doesn't seem to be quite enough. Do you happen to know of any good chelating shampoos that are also anti-dandruff? Alternatively, would an ACV rinse do the trick?
    Unfortunately, I'm not a hard water expert by any means since I only ever deal with relatively soft water, so I can't recommend anything. ACV I hear is pretty good at preventing hard water buildup but probably won't help in getting rid of it.

Would it be possible for you to just wash your hair with the chelating shampoo but use your usual one on your scalp?
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    Waist/Thigh/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Oh, I just remembered one more "clue" that I definitely intended to put in the original post. I don't know if this is a normal way for splits to occur, but I'll occasionally find a strand that has split into two only to then turn back into one further out, so it's not so much a split end as a split middle. Could this point to anything in particular, or is it just a thing that happens to worn out hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm not a hard water expert by any means since I only ever deal with relatively soft water, so I can't recommend anything. ACV I hear is pretty good at preventing hard water buildup but probably won't help in getting rid of it.

Would it be possible for you to just wash your hair with the chelating shampoo but use your usual one on your scalp?
    That's a good idea, actually. I'll find a chelating shampoo and try that

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/40in/FTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/iii

How long is your hair?
    “A Wizard is never late! He arrives precisely when he means to!”
    Chin>Neck>SL>BSL>WL>HL>BCL>TBL>Classic>Upper Thigh
    I was the only one who wasn’t King Fu Fighting.

Length
    Waist/Thigh/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

It is just below TBL.

Length
    Buzz/Buzz/Calf+

I needed to see this, I had noticed my hair is getting lots of dandruff and its since I moved house, so the water here must be harder than my previous home O_O a revelation! I'll have to look into water filters for showers,

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/40in/FTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Thyme View Post
    It is just below TBL.
    I don’t think hard water or your conditioner has much to do with it. The longer your hair gets the more you actively need to be doing moisture treatments. Ends becoming velcro-like is completely normal since they’re quite old with your hair now being TBL. For your split end situation, again, I’d recommend doing more deep treatments.
    “A Wizard is never late! He arrives precisely when he means to!”
    Chin>Neck>SL>BSL>WL>HL>BCL>TBL>Classic>Upper Thigh
    I was the only one who wasn’t King Fu Fighting.