Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get silky hair?

Length
    11 in/BSL+/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Smile How to get silky hair?

I looked around the forum and could not find anything on this so I thought I'd start it up.

I have been struggling with my hair's texture for a while now. I just got through with my first henna a few days ago and loved it.However,my hair has not changed texture.It is rough,semi-shiny, and tangles pretty easily.

Does anyone have any ideas on getting my hair silkier?Or at least more put together.I've done SMT and CO washing which I adore, but I don't like oil in my hair.(gets super greasy)

This is a picture of my hair currently so you can see my texture.

It mostly shows off the nice color but the texture is rough looking, isn't it?

see?

I'd love for my hair to be more like this in texture

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/up...r-1105-med.jpg

or this(ignoring the straightener)
    http://g-images.amazon.com/images/G/...festyle_04.jpg

I'm not trying to change my waves or straighten my hair I just want it to be smoother.
    Thanks!
    Lady Aoide of the picture box in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Goals: Ultimate goal:32"(solid waist) with no layers above 25"

Length
    20/Hip/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: How to get silky hair?

Mines very similiar to yours. Many of my individual hairs have their own unique texture, so they all tend to march to their own drummer. Each hair is super shiny, but they don't work together to give that super glossy look. Every once in awhile I'll get it...ie if I have a super lucky drying day and all my hair happens to dry in a good wave pattern, then it will be all-over shiny. Or it will be super shiny when I first take it down from an up-do, before the hairs get seperated. I don't know....I'm kind of looking forward to other people's responses. Maybe someone will suggest something that I haven't tried yet

January 2016

Length
    baby/59"/60
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I personally think that our hair types are harder to get looking "nice", because they aren't straight, but they aren't curly, and if not taken care of properly it can look a bit rough. Your waves are really pretty and nice, though!

Do you rinse with ACV or do a cold water rinse? I've found that those two things can help give you smoother hair. But I'm not really an expert since I myself haven't found something that helps all the time.
    I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
    -Psalm 139:14

Length
    chin/APL/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

My hair always has a rough texture, even more so now that it's damaged. I also always have massive amounts of re-growth frizzies. The only time mine looks like those pictures is when it's been heat styled by a hairstylist and has a ton of product in it. I was never able to get it that way at home, even using the same methods and products.

Anyway, sorry not a lot of advice - but I'm waiting anxiously to see if anyone else has any suggestions - I'd love to have smooth hair, and I've all but given up. Most of the women I notice who seem to have hair like this naturally also seem to have really fine hair.
    May 2009

Type
    3c/M/C/ii/iii

I'm drooling over you hair in the second picture. I'm a newbie but I'd suggest you try either silk amino acids or amla if you want smoother hair. Hopefully someone with more experince will come along and give you more suggestions.
    Lady Saraesa Sweet Maiden of the Beautiful Winds in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    15/28/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

You do realize that both pictures have been photoshopped to death, and neither represent reality?
    "The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason" Benjamin Franklin

Length
    BSL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

It looks pretty to me. I don't think there's much you can do to make your hair more fine...

Cassia would help your hair look less 'stringy', but not really silky.

Length
    11 in/BSL+/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

sedonia, yeah i realize that, but I just was trying to give an example. I suppose a better one would be of Kerry Ellis and her hair.

like this:
    http://www.hair-styles-secrets-revea...air_photos.jpg
    Which I don't think has been too photoshopped...
    Lady Aoide of the picture box in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Goals: Ultimate goal:32"(solid waist) with no layers above 25"

Length
    3"/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2c/C/ii/iii

As much as I also want what you want, WelshLocks, I think it has to do with the fact that you and I alike are not fine haired. I also gave up a long time ago trying to get silky soft hair, There's always something up with it either way, this thread is relevant to my interest, and I hope a more knowledgeable member can show me up and prove me wrong.
    Last edited by thankyousir74; July 20th, 2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: missing comma! :O
    From a shorty to a long hair, how long shall it take???

Lady Tisiphone of the Avenging Heart in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

What about ACV rinses? Because they close the cuticle, I find that they make my hair smoother. They do also make it get greasy faster, though, which is a pain for me, but it might not bother you.

You say oil makes your hair greasy. How much are you using? Where are you applying it? You should only be using a couple drops (liquid) or a fingernail-scraping (solid) and apply from the ears/nape down. Additionally, when have you tried applying it? Some people's hair only likes oil when it's damp, others only when it's dry. If you haven't already, you can try experimenting with oiling to see if it helps.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB