Thread: Over conditioning?

Length
    ~Wst/TBL/~Cls
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Over conditioning?

Have you ever over conditioned your hair? How does it act when you do?

It's the classic do two things and not know which one caused the reaction. Last week I decided to try leaving my conditioner in longer before I rinsed it out - normally I apply it, rinse a little bit out then leave it for a couple minutes before completely rinsing it out - this time I applied it and then finished my shower, at least five minutes or so before rinsing it out. After toweling off my hair and gently running a comb through it, it had a slight sticky pasta feeling. I blamed it on the shampoo, figuring I hadn't lathered/rinsed well enough.

Today was wash day for me and it happened again. I made sure I got a really good lather with the shampoo and then repeated the longer conditioning. Process of elimination = over conditioning?
    Wavy, wurly, sometimes curly; on my way to healthier, longer hair!

~Waist → Hip BCL TBL Goal: TBL+ V hem

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Over conditioning?

Maybe you just have build-up (i.e. the wash was "the straw that broke the camel's back"). Clarifying should sort that.

As far as I'm aware, overconditioning usually has symptoms of overly stretchy hair rather than a coated feeling.

Length
    3/26/45
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I can't speak for others but when my hair is over conditioned, I have a lot of extra shedding. I develop Cotten candy like frizz when dry, have more breakage, and my hair feels overly soft when dry. Test a single strand by stretching it. If it seems to stretch more than 50%, it's probable over conditioned. If not it could just be build up or maybe you're not getting all of the conditioner rinsed out. A clarifying wash would help for build up or over conditioned hair. Good luck!
    Grow, grow grow........

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I thought my hair was overconditioned once - super soft and limp, not curling properly at all - turned out to be build up from the waxy cetyl esters in the 'new' formula Triple Nutrition conditioner. Lather is not necessary for a shampoo to cleanse, sticky feeling might well indicate build up, IMO try a clarifying rather than a 'conditioning' shampoo.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    ~Wst/TBL/~Cls
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Thanks for all the replies!

CurlyMopTop: I was a super frizz ball after it dried, cotton candy-ish like you described and a little rough when I combed it. I put a little coconut oil on it and it looks/feels better, back to my 'normal' frizz. I just did a stretch test and the strand didn't seem to stretch more than 50%.

Firefox&Panth: I 'poo&condish my hair every ~5 days; the shampoo is "daily clarifying" and I've never had a problem with it. I just had a thought - moderate buildup would dry super fizzy and dryish, right? Based on your replies, it sounds like I have more in the buildup/not rinsing well enough category than over doing the conditioner.
    Wavy, wurly, sometimes curly; on my way to healthier, longer hair!

~Waist → Hip BCL TBL Goal: TBL+ V hem

Length
    17/36/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Yeah, I could totally see the builup in my hair when it's overconditioned. It looks quite waxy/shiny and too...workable (which is odd because my hair is naturally dry and hard, and is not generally obedient). And it could get limp and heavy.