Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oils

Length
    Jaw/BSL/WL
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Oils

I have been reading on here for a while and I would like to start using oils in my routine everyday-ish. I am just wondering, what is a lighter type of oil you can use? My hair likes olive oil but it is fairly heavy to me. Also I would like to use it as a leave in conditioner so what kinda of oil does not need to be washed out?

Thanks!

(ps you guys are awesome!!)
    *SHL*APL*BSL* WAIST*

Length
    17.5"/36"/37"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Oils

I'm a recent baby oil convert

I put a few drops in my ends every day (I wash maybe every 3-4 days, give or take)

it really keeps the static/frizzies down
    2015: 7" growth~~~2016: 5" growth
    Jan. 1, 2017: 36"
    hoping for virgin tailbone Summer, 2017

Length
    Jaw/BSL/WL
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by door72067 View Post
    I'm a recent baby oil convert

I put a few drops in my ends every day (I wash maybe every 3-4 days, give or take)

it really keeps the static/frizzies down
    By ends do you mean the last 2" or so? or the whole length?
    (sorry for so many questions, I'm a newb)
    *SHL*APL*BSL* WAIST*

I have started putting avocado oil in my hair and it really loves it, my hair is fine but thick and I like the feel of it so much with the avocado oil, I don't think I see myself using EVOO again.

Length
    17.5"/36"/37"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

by *ends* I'd say 2", give or take

but I do run it through my length and into my scalp before washing

and a few drops through the length after washing, while it is damp

there is a member here (ktani) who has loads of info on her blog

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...neral-oil.html

maybe she will happen a long and point out more posts for you to read
    2015: 7" growth~~~2016: 5" growth
    Jan. 1, 2017: 36"
    hoping for virgin tailbone Summer, 2017

Length
    CBL/TBL/-
    Type
    1c/M/ii

One tip I have for EVOO is to smooth some over the ends of your hair while it's still quite damp after washing. I don't know why, but when I do this, it makes my ends softer and my hair more manageable without that heavy, oily feeling (it seems to absorb better?). I use it as a leave-in like this and haven't had any problems with the smell or anything. Just a suggestion for tinkering with what you already have so you don't have to immediately go buy a new oil.

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I think your hair type plays a role in what feels light or heavy. I think you should just experiment with different oils and find what you like best..that has to be how alot of us find what works best. I find that coconut oil can be light enough for me if i apply very very minuscule amounts. I like sweet almond oil too. for me it is pretty light. I also like avocado oil which for some reason isnt too oily for my medium thin hair. Another good one for me is Moroccan oil. I really think it is all in how much you apply and how you do it.
    For a heavy oiling it put it alll over my length and even massage into scalp but just for leave in i spread it in the bottom half/few inches and i like to put it in while my hair is wet still
    Taking an LHC break.

Length
    Buzz/SL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

If you like olive oil there is a good chance you will like argan oil aswell. My hair prefers olive oil over any other lighter ones (like coconut, almond and so forth), but sometimes it feels too heavy to use as a leave in. Argan oil is perfect for that, it makes my hair behave like when I've used olive oil, but is not nearly as heavy. It gives my hair shine and slip. The only negative is that it is a bit more expensive than olive oil and also I personally do not care for the smell, but if I put in a small enough amount, I cant smell it. I really recommend argan oil!

Madora has found she likes Ktani's Mineral Oil info. I don't know where that's located, but you could PM her and inquire.

I use Spectrum Naturals Coconut Oil, the Coconut Oil that's shown in BODY CARE Section of their website. Products then go to left sidebar BODY CARE. It's the first picture that shows up. It's specifically unrefined and made for use on skin and hair, the tag/label specifically states that.

I did a youtube video demonstrating how I oil my hair (and BBB, and detangle, and an easy updo that mid-back/tailbone length and beyond can easily do). Here's a link, and it may be of help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

I use so very little coconut oil, that it easily washes out with shampoo, and I hardly ever need to actually clarify my hair because of problems with buildup. Note, in the video I show that I apply the oil to my length ONLY, not the scalp associated hair. I let sebum do it's work up top. PLUS, I have a scalp skin problem.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Huge Tolkien Nerd! Long_hair_bear's Avatar
    Length
    bob/41.25/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I also use coconut oil. I use it as a prewash treatment on my end and scalp (I have a dry scalp).

“Some of the worst mistakes in my life were haircuts." - Jim Morrison
    "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her." 1 Corinthians 11:15
    *UNICORN* Looking for Maxima Diamond Two toned Amethyst in Large