Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Hair is Getting Painfully Heavy; Suggestions?

Length
    24/36/35
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Default My Hair is Getting Painfully Heavy; Suggestions?

Hey Ladies,

My hair is getting heavy. I can't wear ponytails (not that I did to begin with) because having that much hair concentrated on one part of my scalp hurts in addition to the feeling of being pulled back, hurting my heck.

I'm having a hard time wearing buns on the back of my head because it just pulls me down and I get a neck ache. If I do one braid, the underside gets so matted by the end of the day it's not practical. I've been wearing it down, or in two braids in my spare time, but dealing with the neck pain in public with a pencil bun, a lazy wrap, or a rose bun.

A crown braid is lovely comfortable but mine are messy and not really public-friendly. Any suggestions for good weight-distributing buns? Or is it perhaps the end of my hair-growing days!? *gasp*

I reached my goal length, thanks LHC! I guess I'm just here for the good company now.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Default Re: My Hair is Getting Painfully Heavy; Suggestions?

Try placing the braid on different parts of your scalp. Different updos hold the weight better as well. I find a log roll secured with a Ficcare to be the most balance, others really like doing dual buns. The Ellingwoman braid (simplified) is really balanced too.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I'd suggest doing a different hair style something and more balanced. Something to even the weight to keep it from pulling.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    62cm/15 cm/NA
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I haven't reached this point yet, but I know it's coming. Madora always suggests trying styles that distribute the weight around your head. Have you tried something like a vortex bun - where you make three braids and then bun them?

Or something like this, where the braiding distributes the weight around a bit more? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ujpk...lDJEhtGeTEtxls
    "Snuggling is sex without the fluid exchange."

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

After I got used to how buns felt, I no longer had this problem. I just try to make my buns as small as possible. I'm at 33in+ now to give you an idea of how long my hair is, and my hair is iii. I find that the longer it gets, the less heavy it- probably having to do with thickness, and distribution of it as it grows.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

busy beegan ~ ( , ) ~ Annibelle's Avatar
    Length
    WL/APL/HL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I'm just jealous that your hair is thick enough to be "painfully heavy!" Even if my hair were knee-length, it's so thin that it'll never hurt.

Do regular braids hurt, too? Just one down your back?

Length
    3"/Thigh/Term
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I would suggest sectioning to distribute the weight of your hair. Here is a style Madora shared with me, it is super comfy and spreads the weight out really well

This technique works great with 2 or more braids, 2 or more rope braids, twisted strands or the Cameo bun.

All you do is:

1) detangle thoroughly

2) Make a horizontal part across the back of your head from the top of one ear to the top of the other.

3) Comb out all the hair above the part, divide it in 3 sections, and braid it loosely to the end.

4) Take the braid and holding it flat against your head, coil it in a bun, pinning with hairpins as you go. Tuck in the tassle under the braid.

5) Take the remaining hair and braid it, then wind it around the bun already made.

Voila..a double braided bun.

Also, check out vortex buns on YouTube. Torrinpaige has a really good one, and there are several other good ones out there (I would link you, but am on my phone and do not know how, sorry )

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

It's a phase. I remember feeling this way when I was about mid-back. Now I'm almost hip and it feels fine. I'm guessing your follicles are going through an adjustment and you will find ways to wear your hair so that it becomes more comfortable. I never wear a bun all day. My 'hair" starts to hurt so I just take it down, do a quick massage and put it in a different position. I find that helps alot. It helps that I like variety with my look anyway.

Length
    24/36/35
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I'm definitely going to try the vortex bun! Probably right now. Be back in a bit!

I reached my goal length, thanks LHC! I guess I'm just here for the good company now.

Length
    29 "/33"/MORE
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Very low buns help with this. Some yoga might help with the neck pain. I think part of what happens as it gets longer is that we develop the muscles we need to hold up our hair......
    "I have learned silence from the talkative, tolerance from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind. I should not be ungrateful to these teachers" Kahlil Gibran.