Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair stick/ fork/ bun help?

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Hair stick/ fork/ bun help?

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make a bun, at all really. I can't even seem to make one and get the ends to stay in with a flexi8 or a claw clip. My usual style is a peacock twist with a clip or pretty much the same thing with an elastic for this reason. But even the clip falls out sometimes.

But I am really interested in using sticks or forks. I have quite a few that I bought as a bundle when I saw a really good deal on ebay and have been saving them until my hair was long enough to make use of them.

My hair is APL and not very thick so I just can't figure out what the problem is. If anyone could give me some advise on making buns that stay or using hair sticks/forks it would be much appreciated!

The closest I have ever gotten is this:

It was supposed to be a cinnabun...

I think maybe I don't know how to position the toy so that it traps the hair in? If you could somehow explain how that is done, maybe? It's possible I'm overthinking this....
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

Length
    27.5/waist/hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Hair stick/ fork/ bun help?

I really like the Pha Bun. It is my favorite fork bun.

Here is a link to the video, I learned from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsF9Kp5W9Ig

Type
    2b/M/iii

From the Articles section: how to use hairpins and hairsticks:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=20

ETA: Link to Torrin Paige's You Tube how to use hairsticks video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWf4E...ure=plpp_video
    Last edited by Madora; March 6th, 2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: more information on topic

Length
    shdlr/~Clsc/FrTp
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    From the Articles section: how to use hairpins and hairsticks:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=20

ETA: Link to Torrin Paige's You Tube how to use hairsticks video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWf4E...ure=plpp_video
    I could definitely do to read this article too....thanks for posting the link!

Length
    shdlr/~Clsc/FrTp
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I have problems securing updos too...you are definitely not alone. I'm going to check out the link above, hope it helps some. Good luck on your own hair experiments!

I think the cinnamon bun is not the easiest stick/fork bun to secure. See if some of these work:
    Gibraltar bun (similar to cinnamon bun)
    Pencil bun
    Lazy wrap bun
    Nautilus bun
    Split bun

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Thanks everyone!

I tried the Pha bun. Don't think I have enough length for it? My main problem seems to be my ends, they just don't want to tuck.

What do you do with them? I see people just kind of wrap them around whatever bun they are making but mine seem to be too short/thick to do that with.

The failed Pha Bun (Just ignore my little brother):

Okay after trying all the suggestions I have come to the conclusion that my hair is not long enough to be held with just a stick or fork, sigh. I guess they will go back into storage for a while. Maybe I'll take them back out when I hit brastrap length.
    Last edited by Idjit; March 6th, 2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Realized I need more hair

Length
    29 "/33"/MORE
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I strongly recommend the Gibraltar as a starting point. Basically, you are making a hair slide out of the hair that is growing closest to your head. If you make it higher, with shorter hair it may work better.

you make the first twisted circle, then gently twist and wrap the rest of your hair underneath that, around the initial pony, between your head and the first coil. This is not so obvious in the video, she's got her hand over what she's doing, and you will want to hold it like that too, to keep it from unrolling while you wrassle the ends. It was the first bun I could make, and the only one I knew about for years....
    "I have learned silence from the talkative, tolerance from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind. I should not be ungrateful to these teachers" Kahlil Gibran.

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
    I strongly recommend the Gibraltar as a starting point. Basically, you are making a hair slide out of the hair that is growing closest to your head. If you make it higher, with shorter hair it may work better.

you make the first twisted circle, then gently twist and wrap the rest of your hair underneath that, around the initial pony, between your head and the first coil. This is not so obvious in the video, she's got her hand over what she's doing, and you will want to hold it like that too, to keep it from unrolling while you wrassle the ends. It was the first bun I could make, and the only one I knew about for years....
    I can only do one and a half coils so I don't think that's an option. I think I just have to wait for some extra inches. Thanks for the help though!

Length
    BSL/clas/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Please try spin pins. I can't keep my bun up with a stick, but no problem with these.