Thread: Whats really not true about your shampoo

Default Whats really not true about your shampoo

http://thebeautybrains.com/2009/08/2...-your-shampoo/

quite an old article but found it interesting. what do you think?

Length
    21/18/35
    Type
    1c/F/M/iii

Default Re: Whats really not true about your shampoo

It's interesting enough. However, I don't think the author realises that most people don't worry about what the ingredients in shampoos will do to their health, but mostly what they will do to their hair. He also did not address what they would do to the environment.
    So yes sulphates aren't going to give you cancer or anything, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to not use them if you find they make your hair dry and your scalp itchy.

I don't think anyone on here is freaking out about chemicals in shampoos and running around screaming "we're all gonna die because of Polyquaternium-10!!!!". But some people are fussy about what's in their shampoo, which is perfectly justified.
    Chopped the end of the bleach damage 01/01/2013.
    No trims in 2013!
    nape ... SL ... APL ... BSL ... WL ... Hip ... TBL ...and then?

Absolutely!

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

It depends on what cosmetic company is manufacturing the product. Many good cosmetic companies "follow industry rules". Others do not.

I do not worry about the safety of mainstream cosmetic manufacturers, the larger ones anyway. Am I leery about others? Oh yes. I read labels and some contain things I seriously question and others appear to be inadequately preserved, based on the ingredients listings. If the listing is missing something undisclosed, that is another minus for me.

Greenwashing claims are easier to check out than one would think - research.

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by theodora View Post
    It's interesting enough. However, I don't think the author realises that most people don't worry about what the ingredients in shampoos will do to their health, but mostly what they will do to their hair. He also did not address what they would do to the environment.
    So yes sulphates aren't going to give you cancer or anything, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to not use them if you find they make your hair dry and your scalp itchy.

I don't think anyone on here is freaking out about chemicals in shampoos and running around screaming "we're all gonna die because of Polyquaternium-10!!!!". But some people are fussy about what's in their shampoo, which is perfectly justified.
    Agree 100%

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    It depends on what cosmetic company is manufacturing the product. Many good cosmetic companies "follow industry rules". Others do not.

I do not worry about the safety of mainstream cosmetic manufacturers, the larger ones anyway. Am I leery about others? Oh yes. I read labels and some contain things I seriously question and others appear to be inadequately preserved, based on the ingredients listings. If the listing is missing something undisclosed, that is another minus for me.

Greenwashing claims are easier to check out than one would think - research.
    I agree about Greenwashing 100%.

But trusting larger companies/mainstream cosmetic manufacturers... I don't. There are things in their shampoos, etc that if they really don't care enough to take out for the sake of their customers. They just wanted to make the most money by selling heir product, and to do so they buy the cheapest ingredients.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by Amber_Maiden View Post
    I agree about Greenwashing 100%.

But trusting larger companies/mainstream cosmetic manufacturers... I don't. There are things in their shampoos, etc that if they really don't care enough to take out for the sake of their customers. They just wanted to make the most money by selling heir product, and to do so they buy the cheapest ingredients.
    That to me is a myth. They can afford better ingredients more so than the smaller companies. And they are responsible - I have not read about any of them being sued over dangerous ingredients.