Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flexi-8 worries confirmed...argh!!

Length
    15"/22"/35"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Flexi-8 worries confirmed...argh!!

I've been wearing my Flexi-8s with great enthusiasm since I got them a few weeks ago. I LOVE them--they look great, they make me feel pretty, they're really easy to use! BUT...

My concern when I was picking them out was that my hair would get snagged on all those pretty beads or between joints. Sure enough, over the last few days I've ripped out or broken a bunch of strands during everyday activities like leaning my head against a car head rest or bending my head or neck too far.

Does anyone else have a problem with this? I've been trying to set the Flexis loosely so that they don't tug, but even still some strands get stuck between the beads. I would love to permanently replace my big dated scrunchies and ugly claw clips with Flexi-8s, but not if it's going to mean a line of damage where I put them in.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Default Re: Flexi-8 worries confirmed...argh!!

Agh! I've never had that problem- I always chose the ones limited in danglies or dangly beads.

Sorry you're going through that!
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    Buzz/37.5/35??
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I've only gotten hairs stuck occasionally on the dangling parts of a Flexi-8, not on the regular kind. If I take them out carefully, my hairs that are stuck will come out without breaking. But maybe that's a difference in hair type?

Length
    15/34/37
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I have only used my flexi-8's maybe 10 times but I have yet never experinced that they have ripped my hair and my hair is very fine. I even got one with dangly beads which I feared would tangle in my hair but that has never happened either

Length
    18/26/36
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

That's such a shame. This was one of the things that always dettered me from deterred me from purchasing one. Hopefully you can find a solution that allows you to continue using them without the breakage. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for tips.

Length
    15"/22"/35"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by GeoJ View Post
    I've only gotten hairs stuck occasionally on the dangling parts of a Flexi-8, not on the regular kind. If I take them out carefully, my hairs that are stuck will come out without breaking. But maybe that's a difference in hair type?
    That has to be it. I have fine-ish very fickle hair that loves to snap in half. Still trying to get the right balance between moisture and protein. I've been using the plain Flexis with no dangly pieces. I might just have to be a lot more careful.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I also avoid ones with any dangly bead detailing. That'd be a recipe for disaster with my hair; great shame though, they're so pretty. But even so, I do sometimes get the odd hair tangling in between the beads on the figure 8 itself. The only thing I can recommend is using it with braided styles more than loose styles, that way the hair's more restrained when you begin with, so there's less chance for hairs to get caught (not that it can't happen, that is, but it happens less often).

Length
    APL/Hip+/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I'm so sorry that your Flexi-8 caused breakage

I haven't ever had my hair ripped out by a Flexi-8, but if we're being completely honest, I don't really wear mine anymore...
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
    -Helen Keller

Length
    APL/Clsc/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

It has happened to me, but really not enough for me to worry about.
    Lady Northern Lights, Keeper of the Gates of Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    pixie/TBL/45 in
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

VERY occasionally I have a few hairs caught,I always take the flexis off very slowly and carefully and if a few hairs are caught work them out very gently with my fingers to avoid damage.
    Last edited by dulce; November 18th, 2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: word change