Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't understand the logic behind this...

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Default I don't understand the logic behind this...

Hey girls!
    I was just thinking: oil does NOT moisturise by itself, right? It just creates a "film" , a barier, that keeps the moisture into your hair.

So i totally understand applying a small quantity of it AFTER you have washed and moisturised your hair! It keeps the moisture from the conditioner you already used on the shower "in" the hair.

But what is the point of using it as a pre-wash treatment? Theoretically it would make more sence to....let's say... apply a conditioner as a pre-wash treatment, so that your hair will soak in it.
    What is the logic of applying oil, since no moisturising ingredient is already there??

Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: I don't understand the logic behind this...

Depends on the oil. Some oils do penetrate the hairshaft (coconut being an example).

http://www.healthy-oil-planet.com/co...-dry-hair.html
    SuperCool Sunglasses generously provided by snowbear!
    Lady Wavelengthe of Auburne Waves, Order of Long Haired Knights

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Pre-wash oiling is to protect your hair from damage during the washing process, to prevent protein loss that otherwise occurs during washing. Link to a study about this effect.

Banned
    Type
    1a/C/iii

Oils themselves do not moisturize your hair. Only actual WATER moisturizes your hair. What a particular oil will do is bond to the surface of your hair and create a natural film or barrier around the hair strand. Because of this, oiling your hair is ONLY EFFECTIVE when your hair underneath is already moisturized, and then you apply the coat of oil over the moisturized hair. Otherwise, if you put oil and totally dry, parched hair, you are in fact making things worse because you are sealing OUT water from penetrating your hair strands.

Length
    22"/32"/50"
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ericthegreat View Post
    Oils themselves do not moisturize your hair. Only actual WATER moisturizes your hair. What a particular oil will do is bond to the surface of your hair and create a natural film or barrier around the hair strand. Because of this, oiling your hair is ONLY EFFECTIVE when your hair underneath is already moisturized, and then you apply the coat of oil over the moisturized hair. Otherwise, if you put oil and totally dry, parched hair, you are in fact making things worse because you are sealing OUT water from penetrating your hair strands.
    I was gonna chime in, but ericthegreat must know - I mean, look at that HAIR! The man is certainly doing something right.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

There was a thread not long ago about adding oil to the shampoo because ingredients in the shampoo help the oil to penetrate the hair shaft. That's why I pre-oil, so that shampooing my hair does not dry it out.

Also, to moisturize, you need BOTH water and oil. Neither one will do the job without the other.

I have to respectfully disagree to the comment that using oils on extremely dry hair can in fact cause more damage. I had horrible hair that was dyed and bleached to death. Incredibly dry and breaking off. I started doing overnight pre-poo coconut oil treatments about three years ago with only about 4 trims of an inch and have managed to grow hip length healthy, shiny, thick, lusterous hair. There is still some damage at the ends but not very noticable at all. Coconut oil works wonders even on dry hair.

Length
    15/40/45
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by 11eleven View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree to the comment that using oils on extremely dry hair can in fact cause more damage. I had horrible hair that was dyed and bleached to death. Incredibly dry and breaking off. I started doing overnight pre-poo coconut oil treatments about three years ago with only about 4 trims of an inch and have managed to grow hip length healthy, shiny, thick, lusterous hair. There is still some damage at the ends but not very noticable at all. Coconut oil works wonders even on dry hair.
    But coconut oil does penetrate the hair, rather than just coating it

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ericthegreat View Post

Ericthegreat , that's exactly what i was thinking....i mean i'm only a newby, i don't know much, but this is simple logic! Since there's not much moisture there to "lock it in", what's the point?

Even if coconut oil penetrates the hair .... what does it do when it gets there? Wouldn't it make more sense to put a good conditioner as a pre-wash treatment, let your hair absorb as much as it can and then AFTER you shampoo and possibly condition again, THEN put the oil in to "lock" everything?

Besides that....is coconut oil desolved by your shampoo, so when you use your water based mask/conditioner, it will actually penetrate the hair and moisturise it? Or does it build up and make your hair moisture-less?

I'm not trying to say that what you guys do is wrong, after all you all seem to have the most beautifull hair.... but since i'm a mathematician i'm asking for a reasonable explanation hahaha!!

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Oil can moisturize your skin, so why not hair ? After all, our own skin produces oil. Our sebaceous glands are very important !
    I agree with SPIDERMOM, you must have oil and water. I use jojoba oil to moisturize my face, but I wet my face with warm water first. If I apply it dry, I have an oily disaster. Applied to damp skin it is heaven.
    When I oil my hair I apply it to damp hair. My hair will fully absorb the oil, so it's not just coating the hair shaft.