Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unbearably itchy scalp

Type
    1b/1c/C/ii

Default Unbearably itchy scalp

I'm having a bit of a problem here.

Since summer began, I began washing my hair daily and I switched from Garnier Triple to a Whole Foods non-sulfate shampoo soon after. However, I also started getting a very itchy scalp - unbearably itchy actually.

Initially I thought it was because my scalp had not re-adusted to frequent shampooing (ie too dry?) but I experimented and this is not the case. It is the END of summer now and the itchiness is still there.

Then I thought it was the new shampoo irritating my scalp. I alternated with my familiar shampoos but nothing helped. It seems unlikely given how gentle the Whole Foods brand is, too.

It is not dandruff as my scalp is not oily and I don't have 'flakes.' Still, I used a dandruff shampoo today and my scalp started to itch as soon as I got out of the shower.

I am not losing hair (not more than usual), have not changed anything else in my diet, and do not have unusually hard water. Nothing else has really changed other than the weather + gentle shampoo.

What is going on?!? Does anyone have any self-diagnosis tips?

Length
    ~APL/33/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Default Re: Unbearably itchy scalp

I don't know what could be causing it, but have you tried doing an ACV rinse? Those help calm the itchies for me.

Goal is a couple of inches longer with thicker ends and longer layers!

Do you have gunky, thick sebum build up on your scalp?

I second the acv rinse. It took me two weeks of frequent use(3 times a week) before the itchies stopped. Dandruff shampoos won't help you I don't think.

Length
    Bob/Bob/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I certainly am not qualified to lead anyone to a diagnosis of anything. But, I could give you ideas to try. How about you try ACV rinses? I hear these can help with scalp itchies.

Also, what conditioner do you use? My mom has scabs and itchiness on her scalp and using cone-less and SLS-free products seemed to help her problem. Have you tried using a no-poo method? Or at least alternate no-poo washes within your routine? If you've only begun washing this frequently your scalp may be overworked.
    Well, that's one year down since pixie. I have been knighted as 'turbo grower.'

Maybe you should see a dermatologist. Unbearably itchy is very itchy

Type
    1b/1c/C/ii

Thank you all for the ACV tip. Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by McFearless View Post
    Do you have gunky, thick sebum build up on your scalp?
    Yes? I am washing frequently so there isn't much buildup BUT the other day in the shower, I realized I had sebum under my nails after I washed my scalp. That was unusual and I thought my gentle shampoo was maybe too gentle to effectively wash my scalp. So I have been washing with a sulfate shampoo once a week (just a cheap Suave in lieu of a chelating shampoo). It hasn't stemmed the itchies that much though.

Quote Originally Posted by eri401 View Post
    Yes? I am washing frequently so there isn't much buildup BUT the other day in the shower, I realized I had sebum under my nails after I washed my scalp. That was unusual and I thought my gentle shampoo was maybe too gentle to effectively wash my scalp. So I have been washing with a sulfate shampoo once a week (just a cheap Suave in lieu of a chelating shampoo). It hasn't stemmed the itchies that much though.
    I co wash to keep my hair happy but I still get that gross, chunky sebum buildup occasionally that I didn't when using an SLS shampoo. What helps is a scalp massage with olive oil before washing. It really loosens up all the build up. In the shower I scritch the scalp very lightly with my nails to remove whatever build up wasn't washed away.

Type
    1b/1c/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by McFearless View Post
    I co wash to keep my hair happy but I still get that gross, chunky sebum buildup occasionally that I didn't when using an SLS shampoo. What helps is a scalp massage with olive oil before washing. It really loosens up all the build up. In the shower I scritch the scalp very lightly with my nails to remove whatever build up wasn't washed away.
    Ahh so it is the build up that is causing the itchiness?

I will try this and see if it works. Thank you all! LHC to the rescue of my hair (again)

Quote Originally Posted by eri401 View Post
    Ahh so it is the build up that is causing the itchiness?

I will try this and see if it works. Thank you all! LHC to the rescue of my hair (again)
    Well thats the case for me. Good luck and let us know if it works for you

Type
    2a/F/ii

perhaps get a lice check also?