Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry ends, but no splits

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Default Dry ends, but no splits

I did a trim today, because I haven't done one in probably close to two months. I didn't find any split ends, but my ends are quite dry, and tend to tangle up. Why is this, and what can I do about it? I'd really rather not have to hack off almost an inch of hair if I can avoid it, but my ends do look kind of limp compared to the rest of my hair- maybe I over-condition it? If anyone else has found a solution to this, I'd love to hear, because it's really annoying

~maborosi~

Length
    APL/Hip+/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Dry ends, but no splits

Is it possible that your ends need to be clarified? It could be some type of buildup. It's worth a shot
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
    -Helen Keller

Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by krissykins View Post
    Is it possible that your ends need to be clarified? It could be some type of buildup. It's worth a shot
    I've never used a clarifying shampoo before, and so I don't really know which one is good, or how/how often to use it, lol. My biggest worry is that it'll strip the color out of my hair, because someone once told me it would do that...is that true or were they wrong?

Thanks!

~maborosi~

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    bald/Hip:)/termi
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

You could do a strand test after it's wet and see if it's over moisturized or too much protein. Just take a shed hair and see, it might be build up. That's how it was with me, i had no splits and the ends were "dry". They felt hard. I clarified and conditioned and it solved everything

When you pull the strand, if it breaks without stretching, too much protein. If it stretches and stretches before going back and breaking, too much moisture. If it stretches and bounces back before breaking, it's fine.
    Build up usually causes these types of ends, all "dry" and tangly even with all the stuff you use to try and help it.
    If you use too much conditioner, it leads up to build up (moisture).

Length
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by krissykins View Post
    I agree with her! She helped me with this same problem last time i asked!
    I used Suave Clarifier, cheap and efficient.

Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Do you dye your hair? If not then you have nothing to worry about. If yes I am sure there is a color safe way to clarify.

Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

@gthlvrmx:

I actually tested this on a shed hair and it broke without much pulling on it. So I guess it's too much protein? How odd...what usually causes something like that?

@Jean Stuart:

Yes, I dye my hair.

~maborosi~

Length
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by maborosi View Post
    @gthlvrmx:

I actually tested this on a shed hair and it broke without much pulling on it. So I guess it's too much protein? How odd...what usually causes something like that?

@Jean Stuart:

Yes, I dye my hair.

~maborosi~
    I suppose so. What ingredients are in your conditioner? Any with amino, silk, soy, hydrolyzed something is all protein. Have you been doing any treatments that have protein in it? I'm not really sure what it is, i'm just trying to see if maybe it's build-up.

Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by gthlvrmx View Post
    I suppose so. What ingredients are in your conditioner? Any with amino, silk, soy, hydrolyzed something is all protein. Have you been doing any treatments that have protein in it? I'm not really sure what it is, i'm just trying to see if maybe it's build-up.
    I use a lot of 'cone conditioners/shampoos, and most people say that they can cause buildup, which I definitely believe. I want to say that they definitely contain silk/amino acids, because I've seen those on the ingredient list.

~maborosi~

Length
    APL/Hip+/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo is a cheap and efficient clarifier. Unfortunately, it probably will strip your hair of a little bit of color (not all of it). Another alternative is to use properly diluted baking soda wash. Some people use baking soda to lighten too-dark hair dye, but they use pretty strong solutions. Just make sure not to use too much baking soda and your color show be intact!

Quote Originally Posted by glthvrmx
    I agree with her! She helped me with this same problem last time i asked!
    I used Suave Clarifier, cheap and efficient.
    Aww yay!
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
    -Helen Keller